Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Jim Davies's Content

There have been 48 items by Jim Davies (Search limited from 19-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#12353 Microsoft video on Internet of Things

Posted by Jim Davies on 21 April 2011 - 01:58 PM in General Discussion

Including some decent coffee, I hope? It reminded me of a slick 'party political braodcast', as we used to call them. Who on earth is it aimed at? 25C here - not too bad for April. B)

#12325 Microsoft video on Internet of Things

Posted by Jim Davies on 21 April 2011 - 09:39 AM in General Discussion

Hmm - a bit on the 'content free' side? Lots of fine looking buildings though!

#12323 Making the Netduino a little bit closer to a RTOS device

Posted by Jim Davies on 21 April 2011 - 08:52 AM in General Discussion

I would love to see this sort of project becoming easier in NetMF, but for anyone who needs to do it 'right now' I have only one word of advice (dare I say it...) - Arduino! Jim

#11158 Recommend a scope or PC card for working with Netduino?

Posted by Jim Davies on 21 March 2011 - 03:08 PM in General Discussion

Or get the same thing directly from the designer for $35
http://www.gabotroni...a-xprotolab.htm

Thanks Luke - wow!

#11070 Recommend a scope or PC card for working with Netduino?

Posted by Jim Davies on 18 March 2011 - 09:43 AM in General Discussion

I also got a Rigol DS1052E oscilloscope - very happy with it.

Or how about a 40kHz 2-Ch DIP-Size Mixed Signal Scope for $49?

:P Jim

#10257 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by Jim Davies on 26 February 2011 - 02:57 PM in General Discussion

In an effort to kickstart this and keep it simple, may I suggest we use a channel on ThingSpeak (www.thingspeak.com )?

I heard from ThingSpeak that it will remain free, by the way, so maybe that would help?

Jim

#10256 ThingSpeak are open

Posted by Jim Davies on 26 February 2011 - 02:54 PM in General Discussion

I've heard from ThingSpeak that it will remain free, by the way - excellent news! Jim

#9832 Pachube client for NetduinoPlus

Posted by Jim Davies on 19 February 2011 - 12:10 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Zerov,

Are there any other similar services like Pachube? It's a fantastic idea, but it's a bit to expensive. If I want to monitor my whole house and keep a infinite history, $99 is to much for me.

ThingSpeak looks promising, but I don't see anything about costs yet!
Also, check out sen.se

Jim

#9626 ThingSpeak are open

Posted by Jim Davies on 16 February 2011 - 08:51 AM in General Discussion

ThingSpeak have announced they're now open:

www.thingspeak.com

Open Internet of Things Project - Give your things a voice

They join the likes of Pachube in offering a place for data from 'net-connected things' to reside, so other devices / systems can read from them.

Jim

#9168 Help required with Update firmware to 4.1.1

Posted by Jim Davies on 08 February 2011 - 04:03 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Alan,

when using MFDEploy used to flash chip it still hangs up after finishing with Application executing message so I have to unplu/plug there but beginning to think that is an MFDeploy bug.

I always get this also.

Jim

#8663 Very short delays, less than 1ms

Posted by Jim Davies on 29 January 2011 - 01:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

(my original reply was bad - deleted) Anyone got anywhere with this? Jim

#8619 hardware interrupt

Posted by Jim Davies on 28 January 2011 - 05:06 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi 'Sky',

You can just define your interrupt method like this:

protected void MyInterrupt(uint data1, uint data2, DateTime time)
        {
                // do stuff...

}
and use:

port.OnInterrupt += MyInterrupt;
HTH
Jim

#8463 Help a wife buy a present

Posted by Jim Davies on 26 January 2011 - 01:38 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I favour the 'peaty / smoky' ones, e.g. Ardbeg or the better-known Laphroaig. But they all work...

#8460 Help a wife buy a present

Posted by Jim Davies on 26 January 2011 - 12:43 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thank you :)
I've put in an order for the netduino, a voice shield (the other one was out of stock) and some other stuff now.

I think my husband and I are good at getting each other gifts :) (hence the netduino ha ha), I know he really wants one.
If you're in trouble you can never go wrong with chocolate, right? ;)

Did you order a Netduino Plus?

Anyway, if you can't get the Netduino you want, consider a decent single malt (Scotch whisky). It helps after the programming...

#8457 Pachube and similar

Posted by Jim Davies on 26 January 2011 - 12:20 PM in General Discussion

Folks interested in the Internet of Things ideas might be interested in this (I'm not connected!):

Title: Pachube nominated for "Best 'internet of things' application" BE2Award

We are proud to announce that Pachube [1] has been nominated for the "Best 'internet of things' application" BE2Award [2]! Voting is open to the public and closes at midnight GMT, 7 February 2011.

Quote:
>"The best 'internet of things' application looks at technologies which are >able to extract data from buildings, environments and objects and deliver >related information to us, and which allow us to interact with those >'things'.

What do you think - Pachube [3] does that pretty well, no?

We are in good company, too, with IoT friends like Adrian McEwen [4] and sen.se [5].

Please visit http://be2awards.com...of-things-appl/
[6] to cast your votes.

[1] http://www.pachube.com/
[2] http://be2awards.com...of-things-appl/
[3] http://www.pachube.com/
[4] http://www.mcqn.com/
[5] http://open.sen.se/
[6] http://be2awards.com...of-things-appl/

http://community.pachube.com/node/587

#8061 Resellers in Europe

Posted by Jim Davies on 21 January 2011 - 02:50 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

In the UK:

Cool Components

(but they don't have N+ at the moment).

#7908 About the forum (hard to read this theme)

Posted by Jim Davies on 19 January 2011 - 01:22 PM in General Discussion

+1 on this! It's the 'gray on light blue' bits, e.g. the poster's name above.

#7811 Best Books to read for starters

Posted by Jim Davies on 17 January 2011 - 09:12 AM in General Discussion

Thanks Corey! Everyone - don't even think of buying that last book without checking Corey's link - very interesting reading.

#7756 Best Books to read for starters

Posted by Jim Davies on 16 January 2011 - 11:04 AM in General Discussion

+1 on "Getting Started with the Internet of Things" - you can download an early edition from Safari (for about 12 USD). Not quite sure about that last book - it says "High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles!"? Does that mean that all the content is from wikipedia.com?

#7500 Newbie on buttons & pull-up resistor

Posted by Jim Davies on 12 January 2011 - 09:23 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Ken,

You're probably seeing contact bounce on your buttons. You can either debounce in software or add a small capacitor from each digital input to ground, to 'smooth' the signal a bit. Also, have you tried the 3.3V instead of the 5V - might make a difference?

See for example:

Interrupting

Also try searching for 'glitch' or 'bounce' in the Forums search box.

Jim

#7497 Graphing Data from Netduino over the network

Posted by Jim Davies on 12 January 2011 - 08:36 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks Bill. It's my code, but very simple. I think it's probably nearly out of memory. I think I may be relying too much on Debug.GC(true), rather than 'using' and 'Dispose'! Best, Jim

#7496 Visual Studio Toolbox Error

Posted by Jim Davies on 12 January 2011 - 08:34 AM in Visual Studio

It would help to know if these are isolated incidents, or does -everyone- get this if they try adding to the VS2010 Toolbox after installing the NETMF 4.1 SDK? Jim

#7464 Graphing Data from Netduino over the network

Posted by Jim Davies on 11 January 2011 - 05:19 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Bill, I'm getting something almost identical to this. Did you manage to resolve it please? Jim

#7449 Visual Studio Toolbox Error

Posted by Jim Davies on 11 January 2011 - 11:17 AM in Visual Studio

In case it helps someone...

The installation of NETMF 4.1 SDK seems to prevent some users adding items to the VS2010 Toolbox. In my case I was trying to install the WPF Toolkit, but other reports mention other Toolbox additions.

There's a thread at:

Visual Studio Toolbox Error

Jim

#7204 Code Storage

Posted by Jim Davies on 07 January 2011 - 01:20 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Netduino Mega / Maxi / PlusPlus / ??

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.