Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

RedHermit's Content

There have been 14 items by RedHermit (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1166 More blinking leds

Posted by RedHermit on 23 August 2010 - 07:07 PM in Project Showcase

I was just learning about shift registers the other day, making them work with my Arduino to learn the basics, the whole time thinking about how to do the same on Netduino - this information is golden! Wonderful article/tutorial, thank you very much for taking the time to do this Szymon!

#620 Protection!

Posted by RedHermit on 16 August 2010 - 09:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Or you can make your own vacuum former!

It won't be as thick as a plexiglass one or the ones linked, but you could ramp up the process to work with thicker materials. Plus this comes in handy for making custom pieces for projects.

#460 I love this thing, maybe too much...?

Posted by RedHermit on 15 August 2010 - 03:10 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

For controlling a 12v device, you will need a relay. I'm in the process of learning electronics myself, so I won't give you details (I don't want to miss something and have your nice Netduino die on you) - but here are some handy links to help you get started; http://www.sparkfun....utorials_id=119 http://www.glacialwa...byrobotics/?p=9 They're talking more about a relay control to a 120VAC source, but the principal is the same, you just have to find the correctly rated relay, transitor, diode, etc.. to breadboard it out.

#458 OMG Why?

Posted by RedHermit on 15 August 2010 - 03:02 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I've had the same problem. Unplug and reinserting the USB usually works, if not, a full reboot works. Applying the firmware patch to the netduino has made it occur less often as well;

http://forums.netduino.com/index.php?/topic/39-netduino-firmware-v410-patch-1/

#451 Request: New Forum

Posted by RedHermit on 14 August 2010 - 11:47 PM in General Discussion

On an unrelated note, please tweak the hyperlink text style so it renders in different color (and perhaps underlined) than normal text. Thanks in advance.

I second this.

#379 Netduino Course Materials?

Posted by RedHermit on 13 August 2010 - 10:10 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Are you going to be recording the Netduino Course held on August 25th? Would it be possible for you to post the class materials after the fact either for free or for purchase? From Las Vegas To Baltimore is a bit a stretch for me.

http://harfordhacker...netduino-class/

Yeah, I'd love to see some of this some of this material online as well.

If you do decide to take a road trip though Steven, can I catch a lift on your way through Colorado, I've got a few bucks to pitch for gas. :P

#356 Home Theater Integration

Posted by RedHermit on 13 August 2010 - 04:46 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Unfortunately the implantable RFID has a VERY small range - it's all passive, not active ( you wouldn't want active anyway since it would mean sticking a battery in you as well) so you'd have to have a reader that said minor walks up to and holds their hand/arm/etc up to for a few seconds while the tag is read.

Not to mention the DFS visit you'd get for implanting RFID into your kids! :)

Good info to know! I've wondered about the range on those - I've been thinking about home automation and wondering if it would be good enough for detection of what room I'm in... guess not.

#354 Home Theater Integration

Posted by RedHermit on 13 August 2010 - 04:14 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

And if you want to get really crazy (and have kids) - what about an RFID based parental control system? :blink: Implant each member of your family with an RFID chip. Set up a whole room RFID reader. Interface with some type of media center software (XBMC is my fav), the system could prevent playing innapropriate media if it detects a minor is in the room, or even pause a movie that is currently playing if a child enters the room. You could set up overrides if you choose to watch something with your kids. You could also log media that was watched and by who and at what time ("You were really doing homework at 4:23pm today Bobby? Looks like you were watching Jersey Shore to me") Parenting + Big Brother tech = the statement of "I have eye's in the back of my head" being true.

#352 Home Theater Integration

Posted by RedHermit on 13 August 2010 - 04:05 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Oh, and you could control your main power source to all your devices to prevent vampire draw. Here's a relay tutorial from SparkFun.

#351 Home Theater Integration

Posted by RedHermit on 13 August 2010 - 04:00 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

How about temp sensing and fan control if you're doing an enclosed media cabinet.

#282 Emulator

Posted by RedHermit on 12 August 2010 - 03:53 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

José, Thank you very much for sharing this!!! I've tried it out and it works great, and is an excellent starting point to further expand on.

#275 Unboxing: first impressions?

Posted by RedHermit on 11 August 2010 - 10:51 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Congratulations on getting your Netduino today Seto - mine showed up as well!
It's unfortunate a micro usb cable didn't come with yours, where did you order from?

I purchased mine from Makershed last week - took it's time getting here, but was lucky enough they included a cable for me. It didn't come in the stylish blue box though, just the black bag with the Netduino and the sticker.

I took the day off from work since I knew it was coming - it's been like Christmas eve for me all day waiting for the mail to show up.

First impressions have been great, I love the coloring; blue on black, the blue LED is slick, silk-screening is perfect and easily legible, and the lack of any large caps or a large usb port give it a nice, clean, minimilistic look.

The tutorials that are up so far were very informative and easy to follow. Once I got through the "hello world" phase of learning the very basics of the board I jumped right into trying to replicate what David Powell at Harford Hackerspace has done with the color sensor from SparkFun. I happened to have one on hand I bought a few weeks back for testing the best approach for a project I've been slowly piecing together. I'm working towards automating CAT6 ethernet cable end crimping, and one of the main hurdles is pair identification and layout for proper 568A or B crimping. I've got a whole server room at work that I want to re-cable, I figure it's over 3000 ends to crimp. I've crimped enough cables in my life, it's time to automate it!

So back to the topic though... First impression has been great, I had a few times where my PC and Netduino didn't want to talk to each other, but I applied the firmware patch and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Great work on the product guys, I look forward to what I can do with this!

#214 Yet another supported shield question (GPS)

Posted by RedHermit on 11 August 2010 - 01:30 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I could be mistaken, but I think the SerialPort class is in the Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware namespace for .NET MF.

#183 Reversing the pushbutton state -- feedback?

Posted by RedHermit on 10 August 2010 - 04:47 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I scratched my head in thought when I first saw that in the videos too. My background is software and code, so it didn't quite make sense at first. Taking a closer look at the electronics side of it (and as xc2rc and others have pointed out with an excellent explanation) made things much clearer. Even though it would be easier to say change it for software people, I feel that leaving it "as is" Is the proper thing to do. I want to learn the the electronics/hardware side of what I'm coding against the right way- it's as if I'm taking a trip from my home country of software-landia to hardware-ica and I should learn the customs to make the most of my journey.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.