Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

JonnyBoats's Content

There have been 70 items by JonnyBoats (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#31304 serial port connection PLEASE!!

Posted by JonnyBoats on 28 June 2012 - 06:23 PM in Netduino Go

Danny,

Do you have a volt meter or multimeter?

If so, you should measure the voltage present on your motherboard's pins. Most serial interfaces use 12 volts which is too much for a Netduino. Please be careful.

thank you both for your replies. i, too, believe that i will really enjoy using this thing once i get over this first bump.

i have considered buying another device for interfacing, but i seem to be predisposed to doing things the hard way.

on my motherboard there is a 'COM1' rectangular 10 pin (minus one) socket. 5 pins on top, 4 on bottom. like this:

http://vip.asus.com/...SLanguage=en-us
http://www.frontx.com/cpx102_2b.html

i experimented today with pins D0 and D1 on the shield base connected to (what i think are) pins 2 and 3 of this socket. i got some lights and strange characters to come up on the program http://realterm.sourceforge.net/

but i do not know what the pinout is, nor which pins need to be connected, nor how to confirm the connectivity.

once all of that is done, i am confident i can trudge through the rest on my own.

your help is appreciated.

danny

#31284 serial port connection PLEASE!!

Posted by JonnyBoats on 28 June 2012 - 02:54 AM in Netduino Go

Hi dannykyle,

First off, welcome to the Netduino community. Once you get over your initial frustrations I believe you will have lots of fun learning with your Netduino.

If you find that your computer does not have a serial port connector, don't dispair. Their are other options.

In particular there are USB to serial converters that plug into a USB port on your computer. One thing to be careful of though is the voltage. "standard" serial uses 12 volts which is too high for a Netduino.

This cable might work for you as it uses Netduino compatible voltages: https://www.adafruit.com/products/70

Alternatively this might be even better: FTDI friend There is even a full tutorial on how to use it.

#31209 Can we CAN?

Posted by JonnyBoats on 26 June 2012 - 01:33 AM in General Discussion

Hello Avax,

Welcome to the Netduino forums.

In the past there has been some discussion of CANbus, but I don't know what the current state of that interface is for Netduino.

I do know there are several people (including myself) who would like to see it on the Netduino.

Hopefully others may provide more detailed information.

Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie here.

I have a project I am working on involving LIDAR. The laser measurement device supports CAN bus and I would like to communicate with it using CAN.

I like the netduino platform because I am an experienced .net developer and would like to stay in visual studio if possible.

Anyway I did a search here on "CAN" and nothing came up, but it very likely could be a filtered word like "the".

If anyone has any information on an existing project or thoughts on what hardware would be required to communicate on a CAN bus it would be appreciated.

Regards
Avax

#30255 Another worthwhile purchase?

Posted by JonnyBoats on 05 June 2012 - 07:52 PM in Netduino Go

I have been looking at Go module development and can see that another tool in people's toolset is a logic analyser would you say that this is he case?

With this in mind I was thinking of getting the sparkfun bus pirate as it's quite cheap. Would you say that this is a worthwhile purchase?

http://www.amazon.co...=A2UJ1UULX429TJ

Cheers,

Mike

Have you checked out http://dangerousprot...-pirate-manual/ ?

Keven is correct that a logic analyzer is a great tool, and will do more. That being said, the stuff from dangerous prototypes can't be beat for the money. $30 for the bus pirate is very cheap; of course you will probably want to buy some cables etc which will bring the price up some.

You may also like their logic sniffer - http://www.seeedstud...2.html?cPath=75 At $50 it too is very attractively priced.

#30211 Flashing modules via go!bus

Posted by JonnyBoats on 05 June 2012 - 02:53 AM in Netduino Go

Status update: the basic flashing routine for STM8S modules is working, at this moment in byte mode (*). Now, when the reflashing app for STM32 is available, it can be extended to include flashing of STM8S-based modules, so we can have an unified interface.

(*) Byte mode is the slowest, word and block programming are faster, but a little bit more complex.

Would you be willing to give a status update as well as information on how to get a copy of the flashing routine?

Thanks.

#29972 Flashing modules via go!bus

Posted by JonnyBoats on 30 May 2012 - 03:24 AM in Netduino Go

In another thread Chris stated: The modules should be flashable via go!bus, no special hardware required. And with the upcoming standard virtual I/O firmware, you'll be able to just say "use pins X, Y, and Z on the STM8S for the following features" and no knowledge of C or STM8S architecture will be required. Those pins/features will simply become "part" of the mainboard. WHat is the current status of this? I would like to flash a potentiometer module.

#29413 Has anyone looked at the Raspberry Pi™ SBC?

Posted by JonnyBoats on 19 May 2012 - 06:41 PM in General Discussion

Curious if anyone has looked at the Raspberry Pi™ SBC? I've seen some talk about running NETMF on it, but don't know if anyone has taken the Linux compiled version of NETMF and tried it?

Sorry, I know this is not a NETDUINO related post, but I think there are some really smart and creative people on these forums... so what better place to ask.

I'm working on an audio project idea that I'm not sure could be accomplished with ND which is why I am looking at it.

I have been following the Raspberry PI with great interest. As you probably know, they are in extremely short supply and it will be a while (months) before most people can get their hands on one. Also the Raspberry PI has several features like USB host and HDMI video that would require drivers to work with NETMF. Since parts of the Raspberry By are not open source (particularly the Broadcomm chip used as the processor), I would expect the effort to develop drivers for all the hardware will be non-trivial.

In any case I am anxious to get mine, but to run Unix.

#29372 Design surface like .NET Gadgeteer for Netduino GO?

Posted by JonnyBoats on 18 May 2012 - 05:09 PM in Netduino Go

The design surface in Visual Studio for .Net Gadgeteer is very cool, particularly for documenting how the modules are connected. The code generation is of less interest to me for Netduino GO.

Here is a blog post showing how it works.

Has anyone given any thought to having this for Netduino GO?

#29371 Presentation by Pete Brown at S. Fla code camp

Posted by JonnyBoats on 18 May 2012 - 04:57 PM in General Discussion

Pete Brown did an excellent presentation with lots of Netduino (and Netduino GO) goodness at South Florida code camp.
Gadgeteering and the .NET Micro Framework

#29314 ElectricImp ... heard of them?

Posted by JonnyBoats on 17 May 2012 - 04:37 AM in General Discussion

This definitely looks interesting, thanks for posting. A Netduino Go module that used their card would be quite useful.

#29110 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by JonnyBoats on 15 May 2012 - 03:33 PM in Netduino Go

This sounds like a marrage made in heaven Dan. Using the discovery board as a programmer for the proto module seems like a cheaper and more flexible solution rather than buying a separate programmer. Would you be willing to provide more details on your configuration?

I've attached an image of a bare PCB next to the discovery board. Note that the actual prototype area on the discovery is the parts below the routed slots. The part above those slots is the ST Link programmer, which is what I connect to the SWIM connector to program the chip on the protomodule.

#29082 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by JonnyBoats on 15 May 2012 - 02:51 AM in Netduino Go

Fabien, have you done a blog post or writeup on this? This is great information.

The detachable board on the STM8S has the necessary decoupling capacitors and features a 16 Mhz quartz for precision frequency counting / generation. Does the ProtoModule include a resonator or a quartz as well? For reference, here is the STM8S, detached from the STLink interface, with a Go! connector soldered to it:

Posted Image

#29081 Blog post about the beta of another NETMF port to the STM32 F4

Posted by JonnyBoats on 15 May 2012 - 02:13 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Indirectly related, here is a blog post about the Beta of the NETMF port to the STM32 F4.

Additional information on NETMF for STM32.

#28504 Slider module

Posted by JonnyBoats on 03 May 2012 - 06:51 PM in Netduino Go

I now have a prototype of a new open source slider module. Here is a photo of two of them:

Posted Image

I also wrote a blog post for slider module.

#27354 Building custom go!bus modules for Netduino Go

Posted by JonnyBoats on 16 April 2012 - 05:54 AM in Netduino Go

As part of this conversation, we should put together a workflow of best practices for building modules.

Chris

Absolutely! That would be great. Lets also have a workflow for prototyping modules.

#27351 Building custom go!bus modules for Netduino Go

Posted by JonnyBoats on 16 April 2012 - 05:40 AM in Netduino Go

Would it help if we bought a few thousand of each and bundled them in 10-packs for $9.95?

Chris

P.S. All of the PNs are in the .BRD design files.

What would be even better would be a couple of sockets and pre flashed STM8S bundled together for $4.95

#27346 Building custom go!bus modules for Netduino Go

Posted by JonnyBoats on 16 April 2012 - 05:23 AM in Netduino Go

Where can one find the bill of materials for the existing Secret Labs go modules? In particular I would like to know the manufacturer, part number and sourcing information for the socket. Thanks.

#27341 Building custom go!bus modules for Netduino Go

Posted by JonnyBoats on 16 April 2012 - 04:41 AM in Netduino Go

I would like to start by building two modules: 1) A slide potentiometer first to get my feet wet. Circuit should be the same as the existing potentiometer module with a slider instead of a rotary control. 2) A rotary encoder module. Of course I have plans for more, but one needs to crawl before one walks or runs ;-) And I should add that both of these will be open source hardware and software.

#26484 Links to documentation on al modules?

Posted by JonnyBoats on 04 April 2012 - 11:39 PM in Netduino Go

I was able to order five modules and a cable set from Amazon today, and am looking forward to getting this new stuff to play with. After all, one can never have too many Netduinos ;-) I see Chris posted a link to the documentation for the Netduino Go board here on the site. Could you also post the linked to the documentation for the various other components? Thanks.

#22974 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by JonnyBoats on 19 January 2012 - 04:22 AM in General Discussion

This may be a wild and crazy idea, but why can't the waste heat from the LEDs be used in some way to heat the water in the aquarium? It just seems really wasteful to be cooling the LEDs at the same time as one is running a heater in the water. Some PCs are water cooled, is there any way to have a water cooled LED mount?

#22274 Is this the end of netduino/arduino boards

Posted by JonnyBoats on 31 December 2011 - 01:35 PM in General Discussion

There is one general trend that needs to be remembered, Moore's law. With virtually any computer, the one being announced and shipping next year will be faster and a better value than the one you bought last year. Comparing the Rasberry Pi to the Netduino is like comparing a PC to a Mac, the latest Mac is better than the original PC and the latest PC is better than the original Mac. If we think of a Netduino in general terms, that is a single board computer that runs the .Net MF, then surely there will be a newer version of the Netduino in the future with more memory, speed, I/O etc. Just think how great a Netduino with a couple of Gig of memory would be. You could fit the full .Net runtime in that! For me there are two key takeaways from all these single board computers: 1) They are advancing at a rapid rate with lots of newer, cheaper, more powerful ones coming out all the time. 2) These things are so cheap that it is easy to buy several to experiment and learn, there is no one perfect solution for everything. What a great time to be alive!

#22137 Audiomixer

Posted by JonnyBoats on 27 December 2011 - 07:26 PM in General Discussion

For an audio device you most likely want a logarithmic rather than a liner taper. In looking through the data sheet (quickly), figure 2-2 (page 17) seems to show this as a linear taper.

OK, more digging... I found two good candidates, one 129-steps and one 256-steps digital potentiometer at 10kohm for good money.

I think these will work fine. Now how do I control a bunch (5-8) of these with Netduino, can I do that?

http://se.farnell.co...ip14/dp/9758615
http://se.farnell.co...-spi/dp/1578436

/Ken

#21619 Current State of features

Posted by JonnyBoats on 12 December 2011 - 02:10 PM in General Discussion

The issue is that, if switching off the whole board, the Netduino wouldn't be able to wake up on time for the UI to flow nicely.

Have you measured the total time for your application to start from a cold boot? I am curious as I would have thought that it would be possible to get that into an "acceptable" range.

As for handling the keyboard and display, why not use a really low power chip (like perhaps the $4.30 TI MSP430 board) to handle that and cause the Netduino to boot as required (like when a key is pressed).

#21453 Use Microframework with AT91SAM7X256

Posted by JonnyBoats on 07 December 2011 - 07:19 PM in General Discussion

Hi,

i want to use my netduino code on an trinamic eval board. it has a AT91SAM7X256 instead of AT91SAM7X512

I believe your biggest problem would be that the AT91SAM7X256 has 256 Kbytes of flash wile the Netduino has 512K. I wouldn't say absolutely that it is impossible to get the .NET MF into 256K, but it would be a major challenge.

Far better to select a chip with adequate memory.

#21423 Wanted: Breadboard "Flags"

Posted by JonnyBoats on 07 December 2011 - 03:53 AM in General Discussion

Do you mean something like this? http://www.adafruit.com/products/601

Posted Image

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.