Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

G0HJQ's Content

There have been 2 items by G0HJQ (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#16878 SNTP clock / RSS news reader

Posted by G0HJQ on 20 August 2011 - 05:50 PM in Project Showcase

Here's my first project with a Netduino Plus. It's now nailed(!) to my office computer desk, and tells me the time and weather forecast.

Posted Image

It gets the time from an SNTP time server, adjusts it for Summer / Winter times, reads the 3-day weather forecast from the an RSS news feed on the BBC website, and displays it on a Itron GU126x64 Vacuum Flourescent Display module.

To save memory, the RSS reader uses the Windows Sockets library, rather than the HTTP library, and processes the XML data itself, one character at a time.

I've attached the code below. It's my first Netduino project, so don't expect perfection! If you want to reuse the SNTP code, and are not in the UK, you will need to change the calculation for the start and end of British Summer Time, and also the summer/winter time offset. The RSS feed is currently set to display the 3 day forecast for Manchester, UK, but it can be changed to display your own weather, news, or any other RSS feed.

There is a Youtube video of it in action Here. The flickering is an artifact of the camera, and cannot be seen normally.

Posted Image

Attached Files

#16010 40% discount on Netduino Plus e-book (O'Reilly / MAKE)

Posted by G0HJQ on 28 July 2011 - 08:03 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks, just what I was looking for to get me started. Gary.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.