Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

sbma44's Content

There have been 1 items by sbma44 (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#154 Arduino vs. Netduino

Posted by sbma44 on 09 August 2010 - 04:00 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Sounds like an interesting project! But I have to say: the name you've chosen for Netduino really rankles, and I wish you'd change it. As an open platform, Arduino has benefited from the creative names that people have used for derived products: Freeduino, Boarduino, Ardweeny, Japanino, Wiseduino, etc. These boards are Arduino bootloader-compatible: software written for the Arduino will work on them. "Duino" is not a suffix meaning "hobbyist microcontroller platform". It's a specific reference to the Arduino project -- a project that, unless I'm mistaken, your efforts are not compatible with. I have to assume that you've chosen the name of your project in order to capitalize on the considerable success of the Arduino project. That's certainly understandable, but in this case I think it's likely to produce confusion among Arduino users -- particularly new ones. I think you're doing a disservice to the Arduino community, and I hope you'll consider renaming your project. I should say: I'm an Arduino user, but I have nothing to do with the people running the project, and of the derived projects, or those who own the trademark. Perhaps they feel differently.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.