Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

zorlack's Content

There have been 9 items by zorlack (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#43556 Netduino board layout

Posted by zorlack on 16 January 2013 - 08:35 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yeah I pretty much immediately found this. Fail.

Hehe.

#43554 Netduino board layout

Posted by zorlack on 16 January 2013 - 08:29 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hello,

I'm interested in looking at the Netduino pcb layout.

I tried opening the pcb layout on the website, but it seems to be a .brd file without an associated schematic. 

I click File | Open | Board and then enter the path to the .brd file.

Eagle complains with this:

Loading C:/Users/username/Desktop/netduino.brd ...Error:line 1, column 2: Start tag expected.

I'm using the free version of Eagle.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there a Netduino.sch file available, or is the schematic only available as a PDF?

Thanks so much!

-Z

#43039 Choosing an LED/Resistor for Netduino PWM

Posted by zorlack on 09 January 2013 - 10:50 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks for this tip Paul!

To get the most out of your LED, you will want to supply it from the 5V rail, with a series resistor.

If you use the 3.3V rail, you will not be giving it the full 3.3 due to a small voltage drop accross the transistor.

If I connect the transistor to +5v, do I not have to have +5V to trigger it as well?

-Z

#43023 Choosing an LED/Resistor for Netduino PWM

Posted by zorlack on 09 January 2013 - 06:59 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks NooM!

Will using a transistor in that fashion pass the PWM pulses along to the LED, or will it lock to high or low?

#43020 Choosing an LED/Resistor for Netduino PWM

Posted by zorlack on 09 January 2013 - 06:43 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello all,

There's quite a bit of literature about this topic, but I'm having trouble understanding all the implications. I'm working on a project which I'd like to have PWM-controlled LEDs.

I've been reading that I need a current-limiting resistor to protect the Netduino's PWM pins from damage. I was wondering if this is always the case.

I have some LEDs which state that they have a 3.3V forward voltage at 20MA. By my read that should not unduly stress out the PWM pin.

Am I misunderstanding the characteristics of the LED?

A little guidance would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

-Z

#42631 NetduinoPlus2 Power Question

Posted by zorlack on 03 January 2013 - 02:01 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

i power all my stuff external.

NooM, forgive my ignorance, but does that mean you have one PS which powers the Netduino, and another which powers your sensors? Does that mean you have two connections to Mains, or are are you using two sets of batteries?

Regarding the capacitor: Is it simply a matter of putting the capacitor between +3.3 and the Power Input of the TMP36? Is that simply to smooth out the voltage, in-case of minor dips?

Thanks so much!

-Z

#42625 NetduinoPlus2 Power Question

Posted by zorlack on 03 January 2013 - 01:20 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The analog values were off significantly. (The temperature here is about 20C I was getting readings as high as 40C, and my average readings were about 6C high)

Eventually I started using the TMP36 object in the NETMF toolbox, but originally I was trying to do it myself. What I saw was that when I did an AnalogInput.ReadRaw() sometimes I was getting values significantly higher than 1023. I presumed that this was related to the bitwise precision of the AnalogInput object so I tried instantiating it with: 

AnalogInput input = new AnalogInput(AnalogChannels.ANALOG_PIN_A1, 10);

But this caused it to throw an Invalid Argument Exception. I'm not sure if that's necessary or not. (The documentation for the AnalogInput constructor is a bit borked)

I checked bus voltage, and with and with-out the LCD I was reading exactly 3.30v.

• Can I connect things to the 3.3V header while the microcontroller is running?
  • Would I be better off powering the LCD using the 5V header and voltage dividing resistors?

As for the LCD, it's being driven by the NETMF SerialPort object. Which I presume is just a 9600bps serial port transmitting out GPIO1.

Thanks so much for your help!

-Z

#42611 NetduinoPlus2 Power Question

Posted by zorlack on 03 January 2013 - 04:03 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm trying to read the temperature off a TMP36 temperature sensor, but I've found that I when I have an LCD connected to the Netduino I get incorrect results.

light-temp.jpg

When I have the LCD connected I get temperatures which seem to fluctuate and are off significantly. When I remove the LCD things tend to be fairly steady. The LCD I'm using is is SparkFun's 3.3V 16x2 Serial Enabled LCD. The documentation says that this LCD draws about 60ma when the back-light is on. 

Is this too much for the 3.3v bus on the Netduino? Right now I'm powering via USB, would this be different if I was using wall power?

Whats the best way to handle this situation?

Many thanks!

#42271 DHT11/22 sensor managed driver

Posted by zorlack on 27 December 2012 - 04:12 PM in Project Showcase

Has anyone had problems getting this to work on N+2?

I'm using .NET 4.2, Netduino 4.2.1 and the internal Pull-Up resistor.

My DHT22 is connected as in the drawing:

• Pin 1 -> 3.3V
  • Pin 2 -> GPIO 0 and 1
  • Pin 4 -> Gnd

When I run the example program I just get:

DHT sensor Read() failedDHT sensor data timeout.

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks very much!

-Z

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.