Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

jdale's Content

There have been 4 items by jdale (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#15582 Visual Basic support for Netduino and .NET MF now in beta

Posted by jdale on 17 July 2011 - 03:50 PM in Visual Basic Support

I haven't stopped by the forum for a while.... awesome to see this news! Thank you guys!

#850 Visual Basic

Posted by jdale on 19 August 2010 - 04:19 PM in Visual Studio

xc2rx: I started programming in Basic on the Commodore and Apple II. I currently program in VB.Net and I've written applications such as a macro parser and direct serial port support (with some multithreading). But I'm not a professional programmer and I have no desire to be one. I've worked in C/C++ (though not recently and not C#), and in my opinion the C languages are just not as good for the hobbyist programmer. Get the punctuation wrong in VB and you get an error. Easy to fix. Get the punctuation wrong in C and you can completely alter what the program does. Not so easy to figure out what went wrong. That's fine if you are programming every day and will get it right every time but as a hobbyist I don't maintain that level of fluency and it means that VB is much, much easier to debug. And in terms of what it is possible to do with C# vs VB, there really isn't much difference anymore, by design. Switching to C# would take time but provide very little benefit. Basically it would just make more sample code available to cannibalize...

#109 Visual Basic

Posted by jdale on 07 August 2010 - 04:46 PM in Visual Studio

I've got to finish learning MySQL before I can take on another language... with any luck you'll have VB support by the time I am ready for the next project. Thanks for the update, though, I will keep an eye on Netduino.

#104 Visual Basic

Posted by jdale on 06 August 2010 - 08:57 PM in Visual Studio

Any hope of getting VB support as well as C#? These days there's not much difference in what the two languages are capable of, and if I had time to learn another language it probably would not be C# in any case, but if I could use VB I would be very interested in getting some Netduinos.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.