Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

JohnH's Content

There have been 8 items by JohnH (Search limited from 19-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#2636 Stay close to your computer (or come to MakerFaire)...

Posted by JohnH on 23 September 2010 - 01:27 AM in General Discussion

P.S. A few community members received tracking #s via e-mail or private message. Watch your doorsteps.

I must have missed my tracking #. Could you resend it? ;-)

#2097 Question about Netduino Idea

Posted by JohnH on 10 September 2010 - 06:30 PM in General Discussion

Plus, we're helping promote the Arduino project and all open source generally. Rising tides lift all boats, and the interest in true open-source solutions from the C# community has been really heartwarming.

Exactly. I bought an Arduino after I got my Netduino just to see what all the fuss was about!

#1747 Quadrocopter

Posted by JohnH on 03 September 2010 - 11:26 PM in Project Showcase

Hi,

I just want to ask if there is anybody interested in a quadrocopter project. My big problem is that I have not enough electrical knowledge.

Maybe somebody from you know already AR.Drone from parrot, I bought this and it is working nice, running on a linux machine controlled over WiFi.

Greetings from Germany,
Michael

Check out this thread.
http://forums.netdui...tduinogauiquad/

#1258 Parallax RFID Reader

Posted by JohnH on 24 August 2010 - 11:54 PM in Project Showcase

Nice write-up ATX! And thanks for the compliment on the code. I'm glad it helped out!

#811 Reading Serial Connection

Posted by JohnH on 18 August 2010 - 11:21 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Saw some related topics but none seemed to solve my problem. I am trying to receive data from an RFID reader (the common parallax). I can not seem to find the correct constructor and library for the "SerialPort" datatype. I included System.IO.Ports, which did not seem to have it or I am not correctly referencing.

Any help is appreciated.

You need to add a reference to Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort.

#375 RFID Reader?

Posted by JohnH on 13 August 2010 - 08:23 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

My appologies if there is a thread for this already but it seems the forum search is broken at the moment (I've reported it)

I'm new to this kind of hardware but not to software development. So I'm wondering if there is a RFID shield? (Are the attachment boards called shields?) Would love to get my hands on this if I could read RFID's with it.

Thanks

I can't answer the shield question, but I have successfully used a Parallax RFID reader with my Netduino.

http://www.parallax....14/Default.aspx

Radio Shack had this one on clearance for $8.97.

Here's my test code...
(You'll need to add a reference to Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort to get this to work)
(Connect the RFID reader output pin to digital pin 0 on the Netduino)

SerialPort SPort = new SerialPort("COM1", 2400, System.IO.Ports.Parity.None, 8, System.IO.Ports.StopBits.One);
SPort.ReadTimeout = 1000;
SPort.WriteTimeout = 1000;
byte[] buf = new byte[12];
string CardId = "";

while (true)
{
int readcnt = SPort.Read(buf, 0, 12);
if (readcnt == 12 && buf[0] == '\n' && buf[11] == '\r')
{
for (int i = 0; i < readcnt; i++)
{
if (buf[i] != '\n' && buf[i] != '\r')
CardId += (char)buf[i];
}
if (CardId.Length == 10)
{
Debug.Print(CardID)
}
}
}

Hope this helps!

#169 Reversing the pushbutton state -- feedback?

Posted by JohnH on 09 August 2010 - 06:49 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

One the one hand, I agree with the YouTube comment. It does seem backwards to read true when the button is NOT pushed and false when it is. The dialog in the video seems to say that the value returned by the Read method would be true when the button is pushed (paraphrasing here, but the narration is something like "we can read the value of the button to see if it is pushed or not"). That to me says the value should be true if the button is pushed. On the other hand, I do understand how the true/false values get reversed in relation to how the button is physically connected. The button carries 3.3 volts when "open" (NOT pushed) and 0V when the button is "closed", so naturally 3.3V should correspond to true and 0v to false. Maybe the nomenclature should be changed a little? On the Arduino, you'd light up an LED by pushing a value of "HIGH" to the GPIO pin, not "true". This makes more sense to me because we are really talking about high and low voltages as opposed to true and false values. I hope I didn't confuse matters more! Chris, I'm really liking this open dialog you have with your user community. Keep up the good work, and keep the tutorial videos coming!

#143 Unboxing: first impressions?

Posted by JohnH on 09 August 2010 - 02:00 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I received my Netduino on Friday afternoon, August 6. I had already seen the unboxing video on YouTube, so I knew what to expect. I do like that the packaging is minimal. The "sticker" thingy in the box was totally lost on me. What exactly is that, and what am I supposed to do with it? Also, am I supposed to attach the rubber feet, or are they optional? I know you just launched, but there has got to be more tutorials and "getting started with Netduino" material coming, right? For the time being I'm studying how to do things with an Arduino (work with sensors and such), but I'm just guessing at how to accomplish the same things with Netduino and the .NET MF. Overall, I'm very impressed with the product and how easy it is to write code to turn LEDs on and off! I even got a 7-segment LED panel working. I can't wait to take on more complex tasks, like reading data from sensors. BTW, I'm planning on doing a presentation on the .NET Micro Framework to the .NET user group in Detroit (www.migang.org) in February 2011. The Netduino will play a very prominent role in that presentation. I'll bet you see a few more sales in late February or early March from Detroit! Keep up the great work!

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.