Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Klop's Content

There have been 49 items by Klop (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#23300 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 25 January 2012 - 02:57 PM in Project Showcase

We're all tied up getting bugs squashed for the upcoming .NET MF 4.2 firmware right now, but we'll revisit this once it goes RTM.

[Unfortunately, space is extremely tight on the Netduino Plus...so it's quite the job to fit anything new in... It'll be a bit of a project to pull together a custom build with Corey's work, but we'll be happy to see what we can do.]

Hi Chris,

Yeah I know the new firmware is a top priority. But when it's done we really hope you will be able to fit the SimpleNgen in as well.

Thanks.

#22871 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 17 January 2012 - 02:16 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Chris, Me again :) Please have you had any time to look at my last post? I would really like a Plus firmware version with Coreys SimpleNGen - if possible. Thanks.

#22669 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 10 January 2012 - 08:09 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Chris, Have you had any time to look at my post above?

#22432 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 04 January 2012 - 12:54 PM in Project Showcase

Once .NET MF 4.2 (final version) ships, we can build a few special builds of it with various features. That should be sometime in late August or September.

Hi Chris,

Since the .NET MF 4.2 final version is taking so long and still no estimate on a release date. Would it be possible for you to do a Netduino Plus firmware build with Coreys SimpleNGen using the .NET MF 4.1-based version? You have previously made a build for the regular (not Plus) Netduino a long time ago.

We have been waiting for the Plus version since July last year and really need to get on with our project. We need SD-card and network access.

Hope you will be able to build a version.

Thanks.

#18039 .NET Micro Framework 4.2 RC2 released

Posted by Klop on 15 September 2011 - 11:45 AM in General Discussion

The .NET MF 4.2 release is scheduled for this coming week. Once the core is done, we'll start integrating all the new features. We hope to have the irst 4.2-based release (with updated AnalogInput and PWM) within the next few weeks--and then we'll add on the new storage features this fall.

Hi Chris,

Ok, that sounds great. What about adding Coreys SimpleNGEN - will you be doing that when adding the new storage features?

#17999 .NET Micro Framework 4.2 RC2 released

Posted by Klop on 14 September 2011 - 03:21 PM in General Discussion

Hi Chris, You mentioned some while ago you were working on a on-chip storage option (I guess instead of directly using the ExtendedWeakReference). Will you be including this feature in the 4.2 firmware? And do you have an estimate on the 4.2? Thanks.

#17389 .NET Micro Framework 4.2 RC2 released

Posted by Klop on 01 September 2011 - 11:53 AM in General Discussion

You don't need a new Netduino SDK for 4.2 RC2, but we do have a new firmware build. Testing now...

Hi Chris,

Cool - does the firmware include Coreys simpleNGen?

When do you estimate a final 4.2 SDK and firmware?

Thanks.

#16329 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 04 August 2011 - 04:19 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Chris, Now back home from vacation :) Do you have an estimate on the final .NET MF 4.2 build for all three Netduinos with Corey's latest-and-greatest SimpleNGEN?

#15462 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 14 July 2011 - 09:48 AM in Project Showcase

Klop: we'll build a version of the final .NET MF 4.2 with Corey's latest-and-greatest SimpleNGEN...for all three Netduinos.

Hi Chris,

Do you have an estimate on the final .NET MF 4.2 build for all three Netduinos?

Thanks.

#15407 SimpleNGen 1.4

Posted by Klop on 13 July 2011 - 09:48 AM in Project Showcase

Hi, Is it possible for anyone to do a Netduino Plus firmware build with the SimpleNGen? I need access to the SD card. Thanks.

#15013 SimpleNGen 1.1

Posted by Klop on 04 July 2011 - 11:16 PM in Project Showcase

I'm happy to build you a version but with the following caveats:

• I'll be using gcc
  • I'll be using whatever Netduino source is publicly available (i.e. from the downloads tab of this forum)
Let me know.. but first let me finish this multi-method support.. I think I'm close

Hi Corey,

Yes please, I'd really appreciate it if you would like to build a version. It looks like the publicly available source is 4.1.0.6 and that's just fine. Of course I'll wait for you to finish the multi-method support - cool your almost done with that.

#14996 SimpleNGen 1.1

Posted by Klop on 04 July 2011 - 01:35 PM in Project Showcase

When the v4.1.1 firmware moves out of beta next month, we can build a version with SimpleNGEN. For all three Netduinos.

You can also download the source and build from scratch... We'll use RVDS, which makes much smaller code than GCC.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've never had any luck building the firmware. I have the GCC but it keeps reporting errors and I've tried different setups. If I ask you very very nicely - would it be possible for you to build a plus? Or does your repository contain v4.1.1 stuff?

Thanks.

#14952 Async read from SD card?

Posted by Klop on 02 July 2011 - 09:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

To fit on microcontrollers, the .NET Micro Framework implements a subset of the full .NET Framework. This is probably one of those cases.

All that said, you can absolutely implement a background thread which handles file reading.

Chris

I'll have a look at implementing a background thread if it becomes a problem reading from the SD card performance wise.

Thanks.

#14950 SimpleNGen 1.1

Posted by Klop on 02 July 2011 - 09:53 PM in Project Showcase

I'd love to see tons of people using this, and see it become an even stronger resource for .NET MF programmers.

Let's all download Corey's SimpleNGEN-enhanced firmware and push the limits :)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just talked to Corey Kosak about him building the SimpleNGen for the netduino plus firmware. He sad you build it for the netduino firmware. Could you build it for the Netduino Plus firmware as well? Please :) I need access to the SD card.

Thanks

#14878 Async read from SD card?

Posted by Klop on 29 June 2011 - 01:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to read from the SD card asynchronously? The FileStream class seems to be missing the .BeginRead method. Did Microsoft not implement it in the MF? Would it be possible to create a thread that handles the file reading? Thanks.

#14190 SimpleNGen 1.1

Posted by Klop on 10 June 2011 - 07:17 AM in Project Showcase

I just looked at your code. I'm not getting the same 'pop' error you are getting, and I'm not sure why.... did you send me exactly the code you were using? In any case, I am getting a couple of other errors that touch on areas I didn't implement (namely, unsigned types, and types smaller than int). I took a bunch of shortcuts there, just to get things working.

The code I sent you had some more steps in it that the code that failed with the pop error. I've just PM'ed you the code that produces the 'pop' error (a subset of the first code piece I sent you). Regarding using types smaller than int - that's my mistake - ints are just fine.

I was hoping to do a quick hack tonight but I'm getting pretty tired. I think I'd like to take another look this weekend if that's OK with you. It would be quite exciting if I could get this prototype to produce correct code for the routine you wrote.

Of course that's OK with me.

By the way, I'm a little worried about whether this is going to be effective. I'm pretty confident that I can (eventually) produce code for the routine you sent me, but I'm very worried that the interop overhead (going from managed to native) is going to dwarf any savings you get by doing these several math operations in native code. Now on the other hand, if you had a whole array of CrossScale[] Value1[] and Value2[]s to work on (so that you only made one managed-to-native transition but then worked on a whole array of parameters), I'm pretty confident that there would be substantial performance improvement.

You are absolutely right about this and this is also how I intend to do it. The code I sent you was just the first steps towards having it all run natively.

Regarding more than one method in the class, yeah, I was thinking about that. It helps a lot that you're interested in this project--after doing the initial prototype I kind of moved on to other things because, although people seem to like this idea in principle, I wasn't sure anyone was actually going to use my particular prototype in practice.

This project you have done here is just what I need to complete my project and keep me on the netduino platform. And I would very much like to stay on the netduino platform. I have some realtime code that runs way way to slow on netduino and therefore need it to run natively. So I really appreciate what you have done here and if I can help in any way let me know.

#14154 SimpleNGen 1.1

Posted by Klop on 09 June 2011 - 07:01 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Corey, That sounds awesome - thank you very much. Have you thought about implementing the option to have more than one method in the class? I have just now PM'ed you my code I'm trying to run.

#14147 SimpleNGen 1.1

Posted by Klop on 09 June 2011 - 04:33 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Corey, Super cool what you have created here. Very very useful. I get a compile error when trying to use '==' and '='. So comparing with '==' and assignments with '='. The exception I get is this: "Unexpected opCode pop at offset 16". I think it happens in your optimize stage - but not sure. Have you seen this error or experienced this problem? Maybe I'm using it totally wrong.

#14142 Native code

Posted by Klop on 09 June 2011 - 01:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The Netduino firmware is a superset of the .NET Micro Framework. You can certainly link additions to the object files that make up the Netduino firmware--but that's more or less the same thing as compiling it in.

We are designing an option to let you deploy native code as part of a Visual Studio solution--but that will be a limited subset of functionality compared to what you can do with the current method.

Chris

That sounds very cool. When do you think you will release this? Was that with the upcoming MF 4.2 release sometime in "august"?

#14132 Native code

Posted by Klop on 09 June 2011 - 08:36 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Klop,

We edit the files by hand, as it's generally more flexible. If you follow the example and look at the SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware libraries in the Netduino firmware source code, that should give you a pretty good template.

The instructions for the SolutionWizard are in the C:\MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1\Documentation\RCLPort.chm file...although they may be a little sparse. Perhaps we should all start a Wiki article and everyone can pitch in their insights and experiences?

There are some changes coming in .NET MF 4.2 which add a GUI around more of the customization process...

Chris

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me why it is necessary to link and build your native C++ code into the MF framework. Why not just link it with the Netduino firmware from you guys. Am I missing something or have I completely got it all wrong?

Thanks.

#14080 Native code

Posted by Klop on 08 June 2011 - 11:24 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Chris, Do you think you can help me with choosing or creating the right porting kit solution for my interop solution. The article you linked to suggest not to use the SolutionWizard and just use a, I suppose, "default" solution? Can you maybe point me in the right direction? If I try using the SolutionWizard I get a treeview from which I have to select all kinds of options and I'm not sure which options to choose. Thanks.

#14073 Native code

Posted by Klop on 08 June 2011 - 09:14 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Chris, Thank you very much for the link to the article.

#14071 Native code

Posted by Klop on 08 June 2011 - 08:56 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

There are two possible ways to do this.

Today:
Netduino is open source, so we provide the source code. You can create a managed component with raw C++ behind it and then compile it in. If you'd like, I can point out some references on how to do this.

Future:
It's totally possible to load unmanaged (native C++) code at runtime. After all, we'd just need to move the microcontroller's "instruction pointer" to the right place. There are some issues with playing nice in the threading model, giving people power that can come back to bite them, etc. :) But perhaps we can come up with a good way to handle these as a community--and then build a way to deploy and run unmanaged code into a future firmware release. That would be really cool.

Chris I'm looking for a way to do this. Can you tell me how to create a managed C++ component and then compile it in.
Is there support for running unmanaged native C++ code in the current firmware?

Thanks.

#14070 Why so slow processing time?

Posted by Klop on 08 June 2011 - 08:43 AM in General Discussion

Sometimes just looking at the code and writing it in a different way is all that's needed. Also, a piece of code which is not the fastest it could be, may be fast enough for what you want it to do.

As Dan says, do it and see if it is good enough.

Regards,
Mark

I already have written a code block which is optimized by only doing multiplication and shifting and runs in a small for loop. It is this code block that runs to slow which I couldn't understand - therefore I did the simple loop test to test the netduino performance/speed.

So I believe I need to write my code block in native code in order to get the right performance/speed. But how do I do that - how do I link c or c++ code with the firmware build? That's how you would do it right?

Can anyone help me with a small tutorial or guide.

Thanks.

#14039 Why so slow processing time?

Posted by Klop on 07 June 2011 - 09:40 PM in General Discussion

So if I want it to perform better I need to write c or c++ code for my time consuming operations? Thats the only way right? Does a guide exist for writing your own c or c++ code and compiling it into a project in visual studio? Or how do you do it?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.