Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Derek's Content

There have been 10 items by Derek (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#3553 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 05 October 2010 - 11:53 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hmmmm. I took a longish break from Netduino'ing as work got extremely busy but: My LCD still does nothing, this is my code: using System; using System.Threading; using Microsoft.SPOT; using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware; using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware; using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino; using MicroLiquidCrystal; namespace LCD_Works { public class Program { public static void Main() { // write your code here MicroLiquidCrystal.GpioLcdTransferProvider lcdProvider = new GpioLcdTransferProvider(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D10, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D11, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D12, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D13, Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0, Pins.GPIO_PIN_A1, Pins.GPIO_PIN_A2 ); Lcd lcd = new Lcd(lcdProvider); } } } Can anyone perhaps ID what I might be doing wrong?

#1379 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 27 August 2010 - 01:11 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The only pot I have on hand is a 5k ohm...What happens if no pot?

#1219 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 24 August 2010 - 02:22 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks EdO! I was under the impression that the analog pins were "general purpose", as far as them being able to act as digital? Was I mistaken? The "brick shield" im using makes it pretty obvious that mapping the LCD pins to the analog ports pretty obvious. I'll check the "other" pins and try going all digital for the next round of testing.

#1193 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 24 August 2010 - 12:24 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I went as far as continuity testing each pin on the LCD and matching it to its Netduino IO. Turns out the documentation was right, the pin mappings are correct. No go on the confounded LCD though. I understand my level of noobishness at this point is obscene but I would definitely appreciate any tips at this point.

#1107 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 23 August 2010 - 02:40 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I am trying to send commands directly to the LCD taking queues from the Liquid Crystal.cpp/LiquidCrystal.h drivers found on the sparkfun page for this LCD. Assign IO Pins matching the seeduino brick chasis specs: LCD_RS = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D10,false); LCD_E = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D12,false); LCD_D4 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D13, false); LCD_D5 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0, false); LCD_D6 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A1, false); LCD_D7 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A2, false); LCD_RS.Write(false); Send 0x28, function set: 4 bits, 1 line, 5x8 dots LCD_D7.Write(false); // 0 LCD_D6.Write(false); // 0 LCD_D5.Write(true); // 1 LCD_D4.Write(false); // 0 LCD_E.Write(true); LCD_E.Write(false); Thread.Sleep(50); LCD_D7.Write(true); // 1 LCD_D6.Write(false); // 0 LCD_D5.Write(false); // 0 LCD_D4.Write(false); // 0 LCD_E.Write(true); LCD_E.Write(false); Send 0x0C 0000 1100// display control: turn display on, cursor off, no blinking Thread.Sleep(50); LCD_D7.Write(false); //0 LCD_D6.Write(false); //0 LCD_D5.Write(false); //0 LCD_D4.Write(false); //0 LCD_E.Write(true); LCD_E.Write(false); Thread.Sleep(50); LCD_D7.Write(true); //1 LCD_D6.Write(true); //1 LCD_D5.Write(false); //0 LCD_D4.Write(false); //0 LCD_E.Write(true); LCD_E.Write(false); Then send CMD DISP_ON = 0x01 then send CMD CLR_DSP = 0x02. No cigar. Still shows the top row of LCD chars as solid blocks. Even when I blank out the Netduino code, the LCD displays these blocks on the first row. Is it possible that I have a bad LCD?

#1101 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 23 August 2010 - 01:01 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Ok, I matched the code from the link EdO referenced to the bus connections shown in the Electronic Bricks Bus documentation. I ended up with this: LCD_RS = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D10,false); LCD_E = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D12,false); LCD_D4 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D13, false); LCD_D5 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0, false); LCD_D6 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A1, false); LCD_D7 = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_A2, false); When I try the following code: LCD.Initialize(); while (true) { LCD.Print("Hello World"); Thread.Sleep(2000); LCD.SetCursor(1, 0); LCD.Print("Hello Netduino"); Thread.Sleep(2000); LCD.Clear(); Thread.Sleep(2000); } I get no response from the LCD. The first row of characters on the LCD is filled with solid blocks, as in the pic attached to the original posting. Any ideas on how to debug?

Attached Thumbnails

• bus2.png

#997 Sparkfun LCD

Posted by Derek on 21 August 2010 - 10:32 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

So I purchased the Electronic Brick Start Kit (http://www.seeedstud...tml?cPath=48_69 ) along with my netduino. Manual here: http://www.seeedstud...icks Vol1.1.pdf There seems to be a library for controlling this display for the arduino, is there an equivalent for the netduino?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00084-20100821-1817.jpg

#861 Shield Compatibility Inquiry

Posted by Derek on 19 August 2010 - 07:57 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I'm going to try again as soon as I get a chance. I was trying to get the brick led to turn on and off in response to brick switch's input. I modified the netduino onboard led+switch code using the proper input and output pins as a first attempt to step into using the "real" pins.

#601 Shield Compatibility Inquiry

Posted by Derek on 16 August 2010 - 05:40 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Guys, thanks for the coop! This is as close as I could get to a schematic: http://www.robotshop...1-elb138e1p.pdf Page 4, Electronic Brick Chassis. I believe I was using D8 and D9, with a momentary switch and an LED brick on each, respectively. I'm sorry, I didn't do quite as thorough a debug job as I am capable of. My electronics skills are limited as of yet and the last thing I want to do is start my embedded micro journey by shorting my board.

#404 Shield Compatibility Inquiry

Posted by Derek on 14 August 2010 - 04:49 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I bought this: http://www.makershed...oductCode=MKSP8 along with my awesome new Netduino. The Netduino works fine until I plug in the shield, at which point I am unable to transfer any assemblies via VS2010. As soon as I remove the shield, things return to normal. Any ideas? I'm more than willing to modify the shield in order to get it to work...

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.