Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Chad's Content

There have been 16 items by Chad (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#17553 How to install (or upgrade to) .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (BETA)

Posted by Chad on 04 September 2011 - 10:56 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

The have already posted RC2, so here is the direct link to RC1:
http://netmf.codeple...ases/view/51288
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

FYI: These links take you to 4.1 SDK, not 4.2 RC1.

#17535 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Chad on 04 September 2011 - 05:10 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Because this is happening every time to me (well 3 in a row), and it might be related to the program currently running on the netduino, I was wondering if there is a way to delete/erase the program without completely wiping the netduino so you have to re-load the boot loader and everything? FYI, this was not happening at all several weeks ago. I've been successfully working on a project, deploying many many times. I put down the netduino for a few weeks while working on an arduino. I went back to the netduino and now deployment fails and BSOD if I unplug. To me it seems like something I installed in the intervening weeks has triggered the problem. If this is of any help, here is the list of programs and service packs installed since it worked. Chad Edit: I have gone back to 4.1 firmware and still get the blue screen. I haven't tried going back to 4.1 of the framework SDK as it supports both 4.1 and 4.2, but a few more re-boots and I'll try that.

Attached Thumbnails

• Installed Programs.png

#17077 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Chad on 26 August 2011 - 02:33 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

On the Netduino Plus the SD card sits on the SPI0 bus and the SPI1 bus is available to the user. But you say you are not using the Plus so what SD card solution are you using and on which interface? How have you got the chip select lines for the SD card and the VS1053 connected?

I'm using an adafruit wave shield. http://www.adafruit.com/products/94

I just have the DAC wires disconnected, so it's in effect just an SD Card shield.

Pin 10 is the SD Card chip select.

Pin 7 is the VS1053 command chip select (XCS)
Pin 6 is the VS1053 data chip select (XDS)

I also have DREQ and Reset from the VS1053 wired up. (along with the SPI pins 11, 12 & 13)

const Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin XCSPin = Pins.GPIO_PIN_D7;
const Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin XDCSPin = Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6;
const Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin DREQPin = Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5;
const Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin ResetPin = Pins.GPIO_PIN_D4;

I have simplified my code to this:
do
{
bytesRead = fs.Read(bufs[0], 0, bufsize);
spi.Write(bufs[0]);
} while (bytesRead == bufsize);

I know this would write bad stuff out at the end of the file, but I was just trying to get past the glitch in the audio so I was trying a simple test.

No matter the size for bufsize or the buffer size passed into the FileStream constructor, it sounds the same.

Thanks,
Chad

#16833 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Chad on 19 August 2011 - 01:46 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Of course I typeo'ed the ID. It's a VS1053, not a VB1053. What I acctualy have is this board from sparkfun. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8954 Thanks again for any help.

#16720 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Chad on 14 August 2011 - 10:09 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I have been trying to get a VB1053 (an MP3 decoder) to play an MP3 file I'm loading off of an SD card on a Netduino (not the Plus). And while it "works" I get an audible clicking sound during playback that I'm guessing is because I'm talking to both the SD card and the VM1053 of the same SPI bus. Even when I try to make everything happen sequentially, (read bytes from SD card, play bytes, read more, play more, etc.) I get the same audio glitch. No matter what I set my buffer size to, the glitch is exactly the same, meaning if I buffer 1k or 20k it's exactly the same. So, I'm just guessing, but it seems to me the StorageDevice's buffer is being filled asynchronously by the Netduino, and it's cutting into the SPI causing the glitch. Could this be true? Any other ideas/suggestions of what to do next? I should note, I'm very very new at working with microcontrollers. Thanks for any help, Chad

#13690 Size matters

Posted by Chad on 27 May 2011 - 11:35 PM in General Discussion

Chad,
Just tried building the project in release - it gets stuck deploying. I never see the size or any error issue. It builds, and then forever hangs on

------ Deploy started: Project: Sensors, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
Maybe something is wrong with the combination of libraries, code, network...
My code itself is quite simple (Github repository link).
At this point, I'm not sure if it's a software, hardware or PICNIC issue :huh:

Thanks,
Guy

I have run into the deployment issue where you have to unplug the Netduino and re-plug it in, both with debug and release builds. But I can run the release build just fine.

Glad you found a way to decrease your project size enough!

#13676 Size matters

Posted by Chad on 27 May 2011 - 08:21 PM in General Discussion

Guy, Just another idea. I’ve been using the MicroLiquidCrystal library for a project I’m working on. It has a provider model, which is great. A single API to talk with multiple LCD devices over different types of communication protocols. But what that means, is you are probably linking in providers for LCD screen types you aren’t using. For example, I am using the I2CBus to talk to a MCP23008 (using the Adafruit LCD Backpack). So I excluded from the MicroLiquidCrystal project both the GIPO and Shifter74Hc595 providers. This saved me about 3k. Not much, but if you go through this process with all of the libraryis you are including, it might save you enough without having to re-write your app. Also, you could build the release version of the libraries you are using. Because NetMF is interpreted, and I’m 99% sure there are no optimizations in the compile, I don’t think you get any performance improvements. But I have seen small decrease in size. Chris or others may know of a reason to not use the release version, but I haven't had any issues, including still having the ability to debug and use Debug.Print(). One thing I haven’t tried yet is to put everything into a single project. I wonder what overhead you get with each new dll. Chad

#13531 CurrentCulture

Posted by Chad on 22 May 2011 - 09:30 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Doesn't seem to persist, so I have to set it each time I start up.

#13525 CurrentCulture

Posted by Chad on 22 May 2011 - 02:52 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

How do you set the CurrentCulture on the Netduino?

For anyone else that needs to know this, I figured it out.

ResourceUtility.SetCurrentUICulture(new CultureInfo("en-US"));

Pass in the CultureInfo you need. I believe this is supposed to persist across power cycles, but haven't tested.

Chad

#13524 Pachube client for NetduinoPlus

Posted by Chad on 22 May 2011 - 02:47 PM in Project Showcase

I tested via the SC16IS750 still, as I used the Sparkfun's WiFly shield (with flow-control disabled)

Thanks, I think I understand. The netduino doesn't support hardware flow control. The 131 doesn't support software flow control. The SC16IS750 talks to the 131 using hardware flow control and the NetDuino via SPI which allows the NetDunio to control the clock and explicitly transmit the bits.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you very much,

Chad

#13469 Pachube client for NetduinoPlus

Posted by Chad on 20 May 2011 - 02:04 AM in Project Showcase

Apart from the UART needed to control the RN-131C directly, the other difference is the support for hardware flow-control (RTS/CTS). When is flow-control needed? As an indication the datasheet says "The UART receive buffer is approx. 1500 bytes, and at lower baudrates (less than 115K) the system can send data over TCP/IP without the need for flow control."
I have done some testing with flow-control disabled (at 19200 bauds) and observed characters loss when receiving data from the router alone, for example after emitting the command "get everything". So my advise is to have hardware flow-control enabled, hence support for RTS/CTS, to stay safe in all cases. This means that your need the controlling UART to support RTS/CTS, which is not the case on the Mini. This is where a chip like the SC16IS750 comes to play.

Good to know, when you tested, was that directly to the 131 or between the SC16IS750?

#13435 Pachube client for NetduinoPlus

Posted by Chad on 19 May 2011 - 01:38 AM in Project Showcase

I don't want to sound too cheep, however sparkfun has the WiFly shield listed for $90, but you can purchase the RN-131C from mouser for $39. As far as I can tell, not purchasing the WiFly board, I would loose the actual printed board, which isn't an issue for me as I don't intend to mount as a shield. And I would loose the SC16IS750 SPI-to-UART chip. The statement on sparkfun is: The SPI-to-UART bridge is used to allow for faster transmission speed and to free up the Arduino's UART. I'm not sure I care about the pins, though if I use a NetDuino Mini, not sure how to switch between the 131 and my PC for programming/debugging. As for the faster speed, does anyone have an idea how much slower it would be? Any idea how hard it would be to modify the WiFly driver to talk over a COM port rather than SPI? Anything else I'm missing being new to this world? If I really need the SPI - UART chip, looks like sparkfun sells that standalone for < $15. Thanks, Chad

#13298 CurrentCulture

Posted by Chad on 15 May 2011 - 03:31 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

How do you set the CurrentCulture on the Netduino? Thanks, Chad

#13032 Audio playback ideas

Posted by Chad on 09 May 2011 - 08:32 PM in General Discussion

For a project I’m working on I need to coordinate playing audio with running a motor. I can put the audio file in any format (mp3, wma, wav, etc.). I have a good handle on driving the motor, and have a proto type working. I’m not sure what a good approach to playing the audio file would be. I have a regular Netduino that I tried hooking up to an adafruit wave shield. I can get the SD card to read correctly, but can’t drive the DAC chip on it. The way I understand it, even though the DAC has an SPI interface, I would need to send 16 bits, wait, send 16 more bits, wait, etc. but on the correct frequency with the recorded wav file, so something like 22000 times a second. I believe the Netduino is only able to do this something like 1000 – 2000 times a second. If I wired up to the built in SPI on the Netduino, I don’t know how I would get the playback synchronized correctly. So, I’m looking for some ideas for playing audio with the Netduino. Thanks, Chad

#12657 Netduino for beginners - Gentle introduction with basic electronic project

Posted by Chad on 30 April 2011 - 12:38 AM in Project Showcase

Oh, and a quick question. Is there any reason this would not be a good circuit to use to drive a motor? I know there are advanced h-bridge circuits and motor drive ICs, but I just need a simple on/off for a DC motor and only want to use one pin. Thanks!

#12656 Netduino for beginners - Gentle introduction with basic electronic project

Posted by Chad on 30 April 2011 - 12:29 AM in Project Showcase

This is exactly what I was looking for. The "hello world" programs with the onboard led and button are great for non-programmers. But this is great for the non-electronics person! I agree with Michel, when you get to the first calculation, adding an explanation of the parameters that haven't been mentioned before and what they mean would be a great help. Also, any explanation around the formulas would also be great.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.