Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

ItsDan's Content

There have been 71 items by ItsDan (Search limited from 17-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#31194 Thinking about a community run Maker Challenge

Posted by ItsDan on 25 June 2012 - 11:24 AM in Netduino Go

Just picked up on this thread, but I do think with the existing core modules it would be a tough competition, you'd end up with a handful of variations on the same project.

#30732 Considering a ND Go! for next project

Posted by ItsDan on 15 June 2012 - 03:08 PM in Netduino Go

So the model used by the N-Go will be that components are connected to a 'module' that is specifically designed to work with the Go board. 3rd party components can however be added using either the Shield Base or Protomodule. The former is still in beta, the latter requires custom firmware to be written. So those comments relate to connecting arbitrary hardware.

What you linked is a type Y gadgeteer module, and I believe the Go only supports SUX types. The 'equivalent' Go module is the Nwazet Relay Module, which has a single relay on it.

#30597 Module Firmware

Posted by ItsDan on 12 June 2012 - 06:24 PM in Netduino Go

http://wiki.netduino...le-RGB-LED.ashx If you look under 'attachments' in the top right the .net drivers and firmware are there. A standard firmware is forthcoming. The Protomodule is now on sale at http://variablelabs.com.

#30480 3x4 Keypad Module

Posted by ItsDan on 10 June 2012 - 04:03 AM in Netduino Go

Not until they exist unfortunately. That's not my rule, it's a conservation of matter type thing. Arron and I are prepping for the "grand opening" of his storefront (http://variablelabs.com/) which will carry the Protomodule we collaborated on. I suspect the keypad module will be the next one we collaborate on.

#30217 Seven Segment Display Module

Posted by ItsDan on 05 June 2012 - 05:55 AM in Netduino Go

I posted separately but wanted to thank Matt for letting me play with one of his prototype display modules, and it really is a nice display for those who just need a few digits for output, or a specialized display like a clock. But the Netduino Go still lacks a couple input devices, so I built my own!

A real module is in the works but this is a prototype 12 button keypad module (made on a production Protomodule board) that I'm using to interact with the display module. I'll be keeping this thread updated about the keypad module, and I highly recommend Matt's display module if it fits your project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egudmsx7lmI

#30216 3x4 Keypad Module

Posted by ItsDan on 05 June 2012 - 05:48 AM in Netduino Go

Finally got a working prototype on a 12 button keypad module, using a production Protomodule and one of Matt Isenhower's beautiful 4 digit displays. I don't explain anything in the video but there's 2 demo modes, one simply appends the most recent key to the right of the display, the second mode demonstrates multiple keypresses being detected at once. Throw in a relay module and you could make a simple door entry system with your Go.

#30114 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 02 June 2012 - 02:29 PM in Netduino Go

The production boards and components are all in and assembly has started, so anyone who preordered a protomodule should see theirs shipping sometime next week. Thanks for all the support and we're already using protomodules 'in house' to test out new module ideas. Attached are pictures of the Protomodule along with accessory rail headers and a minibreadboard, as well as my programming setup using the STLink on a discovery board connected to the dedicated SWIM port on the protomodule, much easier than the prototype version that required connecting individual pins.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo Jun 01, 11 57 12 PM.jpg
  • Photo Jun 02, 10 23 38 AM.jpg

#29117 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 15 May 2012 - 05:35 PM in Netduino Go

This sounds like a marrage made in heaven Dan. Using the discovery board as a programmer for the proto module seems like a cheaper and more flexible solution rather than buying a separate programmer. Would you be willing to provide more details on your configuration?

You mean the configuration for programming? On the Revision C boards (all the ones you've seen pictures of) you simply connect the 4 male jumpers on the Discovery board to 4 specific pins on the protomodule (3.3v, swim, gnd, reset), I forget the pin numbers, but it's not important because on Rev D (the ones we'll actually be shipping) we've added space for a 4 pin header on the board already connected to the right pins so you'll just connect it that way, should be simple.

#29103 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 15 May 2012 - 12:19 PM in Netduino Go

Let's not forget that with a lot of hobby projects it's the journey not the destination that's the important bit.

Maybe Aaron and Dan aren't making the protomodule because it fills a gap that other existing tools don't support, but because they want to and are having fun. :)

Fred, Thanks for the support and I agree with your sentiment. Having never gone through the process of seeing a project like this through from computer design files to physical device to functional demo it's been interesting and a lot of fun (and slightly pricey), and I'm a "learn by doing" type of person. This is also something of a test run, I have some parts scattered on my desk that we're exploring for further modules (some attached to protomodules :P), those should be more useful towards filling the lack of useful modules. But as far as this one, if people find value to it, we're glad to be able to offer it, as Fabien pointed out there are other options too, and I actually recommend the Discovery board. It was easy to use and setup and I use one here to program my protomodules.

I've attached an image of a bare PCB next to the discovery board. Note that the actual prototype area on the discovery is the parts below the routed slots. The part above those slots is the ST Link programmer, which is what I connect to the SWIM connector to program the chip on the protomodule.

Attached Thumbnails

• protomodule-discovery.jpg

#29033 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 14 May 2012 - 05:48 PM in Netduino Go

Fabien I'll make sure Arron pops in and adds some value to the discussion, but I'll address what I can. To program the module today, yes you'd need a separate ST-Link device to connect to the SWIM port, but that won't always be the case. Eventually you'll be able to deploy firmware to modules using the Go mainboard (this isn't something we're working on, people far smarter than myself are working on this). Likewise the 'standard' module firmware is something being developed to help module developers, not a lot of details other than it's meant to standardize the interface from the device pins to the main board (less logic being handled on the stm8 for most modules). If you wanted to route the connectors for the go bus socket and add the supporting capacitors onto a discovery board I'm sure you could come up with a suitable replacement, although at low-volume I'm not sure how great the cost savings would be, at so the main benefit would be the st-link. But if future updates nullify that, we have a more compact package, designed to accomodate a breadboard, power and ground bus, mounting holes on the Go spec, and if people want a no-solder, ready to go device we'd be happy to offer that.

#29014 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 14 May 2012 - 02:44 PM in Netduino Go

Fabien we've deployed code to the module using both ST's Visual Develop/Programmer tools and IAR, and the final revision of the board has a SWIM port for deployment/debugging. The initial ones will probably ship w/o any firmware, that or a basic demo so people can verify they work (plus we need to verify they work obviously). When the standard module firmware is released, we'll use that. Mike, yes they will be assembled, in fact the difficulty of soldering the fine pitch microcontroller and gobus and such are part of why we made this. The only thing some users will want to do is add the female headers and/or mini breadboard, we didn't want to assume everyone would want those, although if people do perhaps we could add it as a cheap upgrade. Those are all .1" pitch through hole components so a cheap iron is more than enough to get that done. Arron's VariableLabs store should by the time we start shipping protomodules also sell appropriate headers, the breadboards, as well as some of the raw components such as the go bus connectors.

#28954 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 13 May 2012 - 02:49 PM in Netduino Go

If anyone is still following the conversation, the Netduino Go! Protomodule should be available for sale by this time next month (around the middle of June) or possibly sooner. We'll have a final price point before then and may offer a discount on pre-orders. I or Arron will update this thread once we have more details.

#28953 STM8S-DISCOVERY - KIT

Posted by ItsDan on 13 May 2012 - 02:46 PM in Netduino Go

I used the SWIM connector on the discovery board when programming the Protomodule, worked great. I didn't use the onboard chip much but only because I had other chip(s) ready to go.

#28763 DIY Go Cables

Posted by ItsDan on 09 May 2012 - 11:24 PM in Netduino Go

I didn't see them cheaper, please feel free to post a link. Also note that you currently can't use arbitrary length cables, short lengths should work but over a certain length and you'll get errors. My understanding is that a firmware update will enable adaptive speeds so you can use any length cable.

#28695 DIY Go Cables

Posted by ItsDan on 09 May 2012 - 12:35 AM in Netduino Go

I found the connectors but even in volume they were over $1 each, and you obviously need 2 of them, making them more pricey than buying assembled cables for the most part.

#28520 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 03 May 2012 - 11:24 PM in Netduino Go

So I rewired the module a bit to match the original RGB LED module more closely, far far better results this time.

#28489 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 03 May 2012 - 03:06 PM in Netduino Go

Just out of curiosity, what 'module source' do you have?

I'll have to check when I get home but it's a zip with your CW2 handle on it and it's an IAR Workbench workspace from I want to say the tail end of March as timestamps on the files. I'll be more specific a bit later, obviously it would be great if that's all it was (out of date source).

#28488 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 03 May 2012 - 02:55 PM in Netduino Go

When can this be ordered and for which amount?
So far I've got all Go! modules, you know the tagline of Pokémon? Gotta catch 'em all ;)

We're still working out logistics on getting them made up and assembled and exploring all our options there. We obviously want to make them as affordable as we can so that the 'Go! Bus' isn't a barrier to entry on using the Netduino Go. We're currently waiting on quotes from some various suppliers and assembly houses. Hopefully we can state a price and timeline to being available in the next couple weeks.

#28485 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 03 May 2012 - 02:49 PM in Netduino Go

Eric/Chris, Thanks for the suggestion, this was actually really just a test, no real intention of turning this into a module. Step 1 was ensuring we could replicate an existing module (more or less). Now that we know it can, I can try making something entirely new! The issue I did run into, and community member Matt Isenhower saw the same issue, was code compiled from the module source seems to send an extra byte during enumeration. If using the compiled .hex file it works just peachy. It doesn't LOOK like a code issue so it's perhaps something in the compiling process / different toolchain or something. I'm going to encourage Matt to post something about it now that he knows he's not the only one with the issue.

#28478 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 03 May 2012 - 01:41 PM in Netduino Go

We're using a STM8S103K3T6C. For the RGB module all I seemed to have to do was locate the timer2 channels (1/2/3). There's no transitors involved here I'm just sinking the LEDs through the ST, I'm sure I'd get results closer to the real RGB module if I matched it more closely.

#28476 Prototype module prototyped on a prototype Protomodule

Posted by ItsDan on 03 May 2012 - 12:56 PM in Netduino Go

#28112 Building custom go!bus modules for Netduino Go

Posted by ItsDan on 26 April 2012 - 02:10 AM in Netduino Go

Hopefully in the next few weeks you'll be seeing something new available for Netduino Go. BEHOLD:

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are the prototypes of the prototyping modules Arron and I (mostly Arron) are building. These ProtoModules will let you prototype new modules or connect miscellaneous hardware to your Netduino Go. All the pins on the microcontroller are broken out to standard headers, and there's a prototyping area that includes a 3.3v, 5.v, and ground bus. The final version will accomodate a mini-breadboard.

#27941 Do all Go modules have the STM8S IC chip on them

Posted by ItsDan on 23 April 2012 - 12:19 PM in Netduino Go

It has been indicated that the STM8 family will have a soon-to-be-available standard firmware so most module builders won't need to write any C level code. While many other microprocessors will work, you may be on your own to adapt the firmware.

#27807 Many many PWMs

Posted by ItsDan on 21 April 2012 - 11:56 AM in General Discussion

PWM IC: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10136 On a breakout board: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10615

#27763 Netduino Go! RGB Umbrella

Posted by ItsDan on 20 April 2012 - 10:27 PM in Project Showcase

<brainstorm> Could you add a button in the handle that would trigger a few quickly timed flashes to white to create a lightning effect? </brainstorm>

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.