Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Eric Burdo's Content

There have been 130 items by Eric Burdo (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#14470 Create your own Netduino Project Box

Posted by Eric Burdo on 18 June 2011 - 02:54 PM in General Discussion

Cool... Nice use of something that almost anyone buying Netduino's, or electronics parts will have. I have two "blue boxes" and 3 or 4 Sparkfun boxes...

#14110 :( Bricked Netduino :(

Posted by Eric Burdo on 08 June 2011 - 10:21 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I and others on here use x64 so I'm not sure why you had issues. I just checked the release notes for 2.10 and they say 64 bit is supported and tested...

I'm glad you got it working again!

-dan

I have Win7 x64 - had to use a Win7 x32 machine to make it work. Couldn't get the x64 version of SAM-BA to work (unknown as to why).

#13882 Solicitation for Presentation Ideas

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 June 2011 - 09:38 PM in General Discussion

Eric,
Thank you for your input. I had completely forgotten to mention specifics of the tool chain!

What part of Alaska are you from? I live in Chugiak (a suburb of Anchorage).

-dan

Hi Dan,

I lived in Anchorage for about a year... then Wasilla for 6. My father was stationed at Elmendorf.

And yes... the tool chain is nice... free software (that works) is always good. ;)

#13856 Solicitation for Presentation Ideas

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 June 2011 - 11:15 AM in General Discussion

I did a presentation about... 6 months ago I think.

I covered most of what you talked about... and I also had a 7-segment LED that I hooked up to a trim-pot to show variable speed.

Most folks (at our local user group - BAND"Bangor Area .NET Developers") were interested in:

1) shields
2) that "tool chain" is free (visual studio, etc)
3) the fact that it's C#, and means no big learning curve.
4) The ability to connect Netduino's together via ethernet (or other communication channels)

(and congrats on the presentation, from a former Alaskan)

#13814 C# Coding standards

Posted by Eric Burdo on 31 May 2011 - 11:05 AM in General Discussion

I'm with Johny here... Read Joel's post on Hungarian notation. However, getting into Standards discussion, is like discussion politics. Everyone has their own opinion, and they never truly line-up with anyone else. Coding guidelines are one thing (don't declare things as generic objects unless you truly need them, which is rare), use the tightest scope as possible, etc. But trying to standardize on some other things... is just a nasty hornets nest.

#13632 Help please!! Possible brick!

Posted by Eric Burdo on 26 May 2011 - 02:52 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Jamie,

If you put a jumper between the 3.3V pad and the ERASE pad then you have erased your Netduino's firmware completely.

When the Netduino Plus has been erased completed, its power (white), user (blue), and ethernet activity (green) LEDs will all come on and stay on--consistent with what you're seeing.

You'll need to reflash your Netduino Plus (first the bootloader using Atmel SAM-BA, possibly on a 32-bit Windows machine...and then the .NET MF firmware).

What version of Windows are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Chris

If you did erase the netduino, then you'll need to use SAM-BA like Chris said.

Here is a good post to check out: http://forums.netdui...p__347#entry347

#13597 Best way to convert string to number

Posted by Eric Burdo on 25 May 2011 - 12:52 AM in Visual Studio

Does the .NETMF have the TryParse method?

#13585 Introducing the Netduino Wiki...

Posted by Eric Burdo on 24 May 2011 - 10:56 AM in General Discussion

I know exactly what you mean! I have loads of notes and concepts but due to the lack of time no concrete finished article yet. But now the wiki is live, I have some more spare time ;)

Excellent work everyone!

I'll try to contribute some findings as I expand my Netduino skills... :)

#13539 How to reflash the "Beta" versions of the Netduino Plus

Posted by Eric Burdo on 23 May 2011 - 11:31 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have a Rev A board and the pad is still by the D0 pin - although it's silver and not gold. It is the small pad to the far right just under the white box surrounding the zero.

Posted Image

Hope this helps,
Mark

Yes, thanks! I thought that might be it, but was a little hesitant to go throwing some voltage around willy-nilly.

Thanks again!

#13530 How to reflash the "Beta" versions of the Netduino Plus

Posted by Eric Burdo on 22 May 2011 - 08:16 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I want to put the latest Beta firmware on my nd+. However, I have one of the early September models, and one of the forum posts said to erase the original, and put the new bootloader on it. However, I can't seem to find the ERASE pad that everyone talks about. I found it easily on my original Netduino, but there is no gold ERASE pad below D0 on the nd+. Anyone have a screenshot showing where this would be?

#10035 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by Eric Burdo on 23 February 2011 - 12:00 PM in General Discussion

As a first step to get going how about a traditional server that Netduinos could start checking into? I thought the idea of a Google map overlay showing where all the Netduinos are was brilliant!

Once we have that working,we could then try using a Netduino as a server. Sort of crawl before you walk before you run....

I like that idea... something that would do a mashup of Google or Bing maps... and your Netduino.

#6151 Netduino Plus - First impressions from a beginner

Posted by Eric Burdo on 16 December 2010 - 12:43 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I use one of these http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9518 to connect a 9V battery. Works fine.

I have the same adapter as AlfredBr... works great!

#6081 Special Netduino Pluses on sale.

Posted by Eric Burdo on 14 December 2010 - 03:49 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'd like to eventually make a garden monitor to monitor soil moisture, light levels, temp, etc.

I'm considering building a few of those this spring, to put in some green-houses around the area. Fun project for me and my son.

#6053 TRON Identity Disc by Harford Hackerspace

Posted by Eric Burdo on 13 December 2010 - 10:30 PM in Project Showcase

Oooh... now I wonder if I can find one of those toys on eBay! :)

#5940 In the Beginning....

Posted by Eric Burdo on 09 December 2010 - 02:13 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Maybe we should put together a Netduino get-together at CES?

It would be fun to meet the makers in person. And I could maybe share some of the history behind why the Netduino project got started... And talk about some of the other projects that Secret Labs has built.

Chris

That would be cool.

When is CES?

#5885 Netduino + SQL client (maybe System.Data.SqlClient)??

Posted by Eric Burdo on 07 December 2010 - 09:49 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Looks like GHI has a NETMF implementation for SQLite? http://www.ghielectr...19dd0f5c0ee.htm

#5849 How many is too many?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 07 December 2010 - 01:34 PM in General Discussion

Just the two for me... a Netduino and a Plus. Neither are in a "permanent project" right now. Just using them for learning and fun. I have a couple of project ideas in my head, to work on over the winter. If they work out, I'll likely be getting about 10 mini's for a spring/summer project.

#5727 Pre-Assembled Kits

Posted by Eric Burdo on 04 December 2010 - 02:01 PM in General Discussion

I soldered up two of them just this evening - took less than 15 minutes each, and only that long because I was running around doing other stuff too. If you have a soldering iron, these are a good starter project to start building your chops - if you intend on tinkering with electronics, developing good soldering skills will be pretty important...

+1 for learning the soldering skills... it's very handy.

There are "learn to solder" kits you can buy too. Inexpensive, and they teach you how to solder, de-solder, do the "thru hole" and more.

I actually picked up a few mini light kits from SparkFun to learn to solder on. Since then, I've done a handful of other projects... pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

#5642 Out of stock??

Posted by Eric Burdo on 02 December 2010 - 04:11 PM in General Discussion

proto-advantage is accepting backorders till 3rd December check it out

http://www.proto-adv...tduino_plus.php

I bought my Netduino Plus earlier from Proto Advantage. Fast shipment (once it came off backorder) and good prices for the US (where I live).

#5637 Where to start - radio controller to Netduino communication

Posted by Eric Burdo on 02 December 2010 - 01:48 PM in General Discussion

NICE CATCH! :lol: Like really, how did you get those for $10? they look awesome :o
Anyways have you looked at this? - http://content.vexro...ol-06272008.pdf

Also this guy that I learned Charlieplexing from... he did a video on RF links, not exactly the same but you might find some useful info...

The local Radio Shack (3 of them within driving distance) were closing... so I got all sorts of things on clearance.

You used to be able to buy the controllers via eBay for cheap too... but, I just checked and didn't see any. However, you might be able to find either a full VEX kit on eBay... or maybe buy the controllers elsewhere.

Thanks for that YT clip. I'll check it out. Maybe I can work on this after I get a few other things (aka, a job) settled. :)

#5636 Netduino(AT91SAM7x512 or AT91SAM7XC512)

Posted by Eric Burdo on 02 December 2010 - 01:38 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Slightly off-topic: Guess what microcontroller is used in Lego Mindstorms NXT brick. And there is AT91SAM7S512 with more RAM and Flash; NXT firmware has been released as open source... so little time...

BINGO! That's exactly why I'm asking.

I'll have to look into it when I have some time...

Here is some of the hardware specs for the NXT.

It has minimal ports (3 output, 4 input, special LCD, BlueTooth and USB).

#5620 Where to start - radio controller to Netduino communication

Posted by Eric Burdo on 02 December 2010 - 02:32 AM in General Discussion

I have a couple of these (bought them for like.. $10 each, brand new).

Posted Image

http://www.vexroboti...m/276-2153.html

I'd like to interface that with my Netduino...

Any suggestions on where to begin?

#5619 Netduino and ar.drone

Posted by Eric Burdo on 02 December 2010 - 02:28 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Very cool. Now netduino needs to get in the picture

It should be compatible with that quadirotor, right? Just a matter of porting the code? Standard Arduino/Netduino form factor, and some shields.

Granted, the code porting is the "fun" part...

I wish I had a bigger budget. :)

#5618 Netduino(AT91SAM7x512 or AT91SAM7XC512)

Posted by Eric Burdo on 02 December 2010 - 02:13 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Since it the NETMF will work on the AT91SAM7x512 Anyone know if it will work on the AT91SAM7S256? It has less ram, so I think it's below the minimum... It would only need to be a smaller subset of what's in the netmf. specialized LCD, no http, minimal USB...

#5585 Proper LED Circuit

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 December 2010 - 02:54 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks Bill... starting to make sense now. :)

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.