Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Don King's Content

There have been 30 items by Don King (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#52129 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 13 August 2013 - 07:19 PM in General Discussion

Just wanted to bump this topic. Is this something that needs to be fixed in the firmware or is there something else I need to try?

Hi Don, Here's what we use: http://www.amazon.co...sk 2gb micro sd SanDisk 2GB MicroSD. They've worked 100% for us, and are what we use to test every Netduino Plus 2 before it leaves Secret Labs. Chris

Chris - Am I ever going to get some acknowledgement on this? I have been waiting for a few months now. As I stated before, I understand there are issues and time and resources are needed to resolve, but that doesn't mean that you should go dark and not provide an update. Can you please address the issue and what you know about it?

Thanks,

Don

#51371 Committing File to SD Card

Posted by Don King on 12 July 2013 - 01:12 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi - I just wanted to bump this topic and see if this has been addressed any further. I am more than a little frustrated with Secret Labs right now because they are refusing to answer posts it seems related to the facts that N+2 has issues with I/O to an SD Card. I was going back and forth fine with Chris, even taking his suggestion and buying the exact same card (from the link he provided to Amazon) and trying that. I uninstalled and reinstalled frameworks and all of that. I even had purchased the N+2 (already had the 1st gen card) to get support for One Wire.

Here is my interaction in the Visual Studio 2012 thread:

http://forums.netdui...-support/page-2

Secret Labs - This is really unacceptable to just stop communicating with your user base. I am a software developer and understand there are issues with software that have to be addressed. But part of being a professional shop is acknowledging and communicating about issues. 

Please provide some feedback on this issue.

Thanks!

Don

#49273 NotSupportedException while trying to access the SD Card

Posted by Don King on 09 May 2013 - 04:16 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Okay, that's most likely an "improvement" to the SD card drivers that comes with .NET MF 4.2 QFE2. Hmm. Our resident SD Card expert KodeDaemon is currently wrapping up another cool Netduino-related project; I'll ping him and see if he wants to take a look at a few SD cards and we can coordinate with him to re-integrate all the 4.1 SD enhancements into a new firmware release. Chris

Hi Chris - Is there anything new on the SD card issue? An update would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Don

#48516 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 18 April 2013 - 01:19 PM in General Discussion

Just wanted to bump this topic. Is this something that needs to be fixed in the firmware or is there something else I need to try?

Hi Chris - I received the new SD card and have the same results as before. ND1 works great and ND2 fails with a corrupt file. Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks!

Don

#48394 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 14 April 2013 - 09:07 PM in General Discussion

Hi Don,

Here's what we use:
http://www.amazon.co...sk 2gb micro sd

SanDisk 2GB MicroSD. They've worked 100% for us, and are what we use to test every Netduino Plus 2 before it leaves Secret Labs.

Chris

Hi Chris - I received the new SD card and have the same results as before. ND1 works great and ND2 fails with a corrupt file. Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks!

Don

#48097 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 05 April 2013 - 09:31 PM in General Discussion

Hi Don,There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work?

Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem.

Chris

Chris - As a side note, it does appear that some other users are having similar issues with SD Cards and NP2.

Thanks!

Don

#48096 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 05 April 2013 - 08:50 PM in General Discussion

Hi Don,

Here's what we use:
http://www.amazon.co...sk 2gb micro sd

SanDisk 2GB MicroSD. They've worked 100% for us, and are what we use to test every Netduino Plus 2 before it leaves Secret Labs.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I have ordered it and will report back the results. Quick question, I usually just format with a PC and do Fat file system w/ default allocation sizes. Is there any steps that you all take differently to format?

Thanks!

Don

#48072 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 05 April 2013 - 03:08 PM in General Discussion

Hi Don, The best place to starting diagnosing an issue like this is with a different MicroSD card. Preferably a <=2GB one, to isolate any SDHC issues. And first formatted using a PC. Do you happen to have another MicroSD card there? Chris

Hi Chris - I do not. All I have is a couple of 4GB cards. I am however willing to aquire an additional 2GB to test. Can you give me a manufacturer and model # of a card that you currently have working with the NP2? A link would be helpful.

Thanks!

Don

#48032 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 04 April 2013 - 06:20 PM in General Discussion

Hi Don,There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work? Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem. Chris

Hi Chris - Sorry this has taken a while but just got back to this today. I uninstalled all v4.3 software and installed v4.2 of the .NETMF and Netduino SDK. I erased and installed the v4.2.2 firmware on my NP2 and my NP has v4.2.0.1.

The same behavior happened as described above with my NP2 and corrupt files. The NP works like a champ so I am led to believe that there is an issue with my NP2? I am not sure where to begin figuring out what that might be.

If you have any suggestions of things I can provide to help solve this or other things I can try please let me know.

Thanks!

Don

#47917 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 02 April 2013 - 03:02 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks again for all of the advice. One more (hopefully) quick question. I notice that the other board is made in and ships from Australia. I don't have anything against the Aussies but would prefer to buy here and have it shipped from within the US. With that said would this Arduino ProtoShield - Bare PCB and Arduino ProtoShield Kit be pretty similar and serve the same purpose? They also have a nice little tutorial for people like me who are just learning.

As a side note, I notice that a commenter mentions a concern with Ethernet jack getting in the way. I wonder if that would be an issue with either of these boards and the NP2.

#47901 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 02 April 2013 - 12:23 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Am I looking at the wrong protoboard? They state on the product description:

"Note that the ProtoShield Short comes without any extra parts at all: no headers, no reset button. Just a bare PCB, ready for you to fit whatever headers and other parts you happen to have handy."

Does that mean nothing extra besides the 4 header connectors?

#47895 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Wow, very cool pics. And way beyond me at this point but I want to dive in and learn. I agree with your reasoning of cheap boards especially as one is learning to solder. I do have a Weller BP645 pen soldering iron and .062 diameter solder (.50 oz.). It doesn't state a gauge on it.

Is there a set of pins or like a components pack that you would recommend as well to go with the boards?

Thanks!

#47889 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 01 April 2013 - 08:34 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks again. So in looking at the short I am not certain where the 3 wire screw terminal would be attached. Also, in looking at a couple of tutorials briefly it looks like I would need at least 3 header pins to be soldered onto the prototype board and then it would sit down on (or insert) into the Netduino.

Am I on the right track? Sorry for the complete newbie questions but I literally have no experience with this. I am thinking I might go ahead and invest in the 5 pack as I am sure I will need to practice :)

One other thing, might it make more sense for me to get the MakerShield that I mentioned in my first post since it comes with all of the components that I will need? My guess is that someone with your level of skill and experience has quite a few of these things already? 

Thanks!

Don

#47868 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 01 April 2013 - 02:45 AM in General Discussion

Hi Chris - I plan to switch back over to NETMF 4.2 so I can see if the issue is still there. I just wanted to check first to see if there were any known issues that were reported.

I will let you know the results.

Thanks!

Don

Hi Don,There were quite a few changes in NETMF 4.3 but I'm not aware of any that would cause this. If you run your code under NETMF 4.2, does it work? Also--if you can create a consistent repro--for either 4.2 RTM or 4.3 beta--we will try to repro it here and dig into the problem. Chris

#47867 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 01 April 2013 - 02:43 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks for the information. I have a couple of questions:

1. What board from the freetronics site would you recommend for this prototype, if any?

2. With the screw terminals, I am guessing that I would solder that onto the prototype board and then solder other wires to make my connections for the power, ground and the resistor from that. And then that would fit down on top of my NP2?

I hope that these prototype boards come with some information for newbies to understand how components need to be hooked up :)

Thanks!

Don

#47734 Are there any known issues with SD cards?

Posted by Don King on 29 March 2013 - 08:35 PM in General Discussion

Are there any known issues with this release and SD cards? I am having a lot of issues with code that worked fine for me in the past (recompiled with the latest .NETMF 4.3 and Netduino 4.3 SDK and using VS 2012 on an NP2). I keep having issues with corrupt files, files that won't write out and then once is a while it seems to work fine but mostly it fails. Below is the simple code I am using to create the file and then the code that I use to append records. My card is a 2GB SanDisk. The behavior has been very strange. I can provide detail if it will help.

using (var filestream = new FileStream(@"SDMY_LED_LOG.CSV", FileMode.Create)){  StreamWriter streamWriter = new StreamWriter(filestream);  streamWriter.WriteLine("Status,DateTime");  streamWriter.Close();} 

using (var filestream = new FileStream(@"SDMY_LED_LOG.CSV", FileMode.Append)){ StreamWriter streamWriter = new StreamWriter(filestream); streamWriter.WriteLine(statusText + "," + DateTime.Now.ToString()); streamWriter.Close();} 

#47729 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 29 March 2013 - 04:27 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hey Don,

For some of my prototypes I've use the ProtoShields from freetronics. http://www.freetroni...ns/protoshields

There are many types of quick connectors that can be used.  Can you give us a little more info on the sensors and the placement of them?  Perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

Hi Dave - Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, actually I have attached another image that I got from another member (CW2) that I used to help me wire up my prototype. In fact I followed this pretty much exactly. The only difference is that I don't have the little temp sensor pictured. I have the waterproof DS18B20. One of the issues I have is that it has copper wire that is not really stiff and so can't really seat it down into the breadboard. I ended up having to wrap it around some jumper wires that have the stiff wires on each end. Not a great solution and one of the reasons I am looking for connectors and such.

ds18b20sample.png

#47726 Prototype works! Now what?

Posted by Don King on 29 March 2013 - 03:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have finished my first successful prototype and now want to make it a permanent one. If I understand what I have read on the forums correctly, I should be able to use a MakerShield to solder things to permanently and then place it on top of my NP2?

Any help, advice, tips, tricks etc. are very welcome. My project is a OneWire temperature probe and so I am certain there are "helper" devices that would allow me to have quick connect and disconnect of components? (e.g. if I don't want the temperature probe to be soldered permanently, I can have something soldered that it can connect to).

I appreciate any feedback. This community has been extremely helpful to newbies like me just learning electronics. I hope I can pay it back some day :).

Thanks!

Don

NP2_TempPrototype_DK.jpg

#47613 Dallas 1-wire support library

Posted by Don King on 27 March 2013 - 02:35 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi,

I just wanted to share the little support library I created for my temperature sensor application that deals with 1-wire operations. 

The library is currently only supporting DS18S20 and DS18B20 temp sensors, but I created the library to be extendable in the future. 

I had fun creating it and it seems to work pretty good. Been logging temperature for the past 2 weeks every 5 mins from 3 probes on the same line. (Although now I rewired the NP2 to attempt to get an LCD display working so it's currently offline hehe).

Also here is the code I am using to probe the temp:

OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);        OutputPort oneWirePort = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D7, false);           try            {                Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.OneWire wire = new OneWire(oneWirePort);                var devices = wire.FindAllDevices();                DallasOneWireDevices collection = new DallasOneWireDevices();   // Contains type defined devices with helper commands                foreach (byte[] device in devices)                {                    collection.AddDevice(device);   // If supported, it will add as the correct device type it identifies it as.                }                led.Write(true); // Just lights up the led while conducting 1-wire business 
:) // Loop through all devices, and if we find any DS18B20, then we set the resolution to 12-bit. foreach (OneWireTemperatureProbe probe in collection) { DeviceDS18B20 probe2 = probe as DeviceDS18B20; if (probe2 != null) probe2.SetResolution(12, wire); } collection.SendCommandToAll(OneWireDs18b20Reference.CmdConvert, 1050, wire); // Sends the convert command to all devices connected, and waits 1050ms foreach (OneWireTemperatureProbe probe in collection) { probe.ReadScratchPad(wire); // Reads the scratchpad and updates the last temperature property (which is used below) // My code for saving the temp to a textfile on the SD card ... not included in this sample // Logger.Log(probe.DeviceId.GetHex(), probe.LastTemperature.ToString()); Debug.Print(probe.ToString()); } } catch (Exception ex) { Debug.Print(ex.ToString()); } led.Write(false);

Well done friend. I ended up getting the Netduino Plus 2, fired up your library and it works wonderfully. Thanks so much for providing the code.

Thanks!

Don

#47317 New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support!

Posted by Don King on 18 March 2013 - 03:23 AM in General Discussion

Onewire support is also available on NETMF 4.2 through ToniA's firmware here
There was a problem deploying large software because the watchdog interupted the deploy. ToniA is looking into it and right now I am using the original boot-loader wihich  disables the watchdog.

Thanks for the information. I will research. I am not even familiar with what a "watchdog" is exactly so I am at a disadvantage there.

#47316 New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support!

Posted by Don King on 18 March 2013 - 03:21 AM in General Discussion

Hi Don,You can get early OneWire support for the gen1 boards today through the special 4.1 release which includes OneWire support.Otherwise, pretend like we're not going to bring CW2's implementation of OneWire to the gen1 boards. Then "if" it comes later, it'll be a pleasant surprise and give you one more thing you can do with your gen1 Netduino. Quite a few community members find it useful to have an extra Netduino to put in their permanent projects.Please note that OneWire support for gen1 will be another one-time-build, so it's a special build we can commit to making for each new version of the Netduino gen1 firmware going forward. The gen2 boards are designed for OneWire support out of the box, with plenty of extra flash (useful since NETMF tends to grow a bit with each new release).Chris

Thanks Chris. I ordered the Netduino Plus 2.

#47234 New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support!

Posted by Don King on 15 March 2013 - 04:12 PM in General Discussion

Can I get some advice on the whole OneWire on 1st Gen thing. Should I just go ahead and get a Netduino Plus 2 so that I can have OneWire support? My reason for getting a Netduino in the first place was to use a OneWire temperature component (honestly did not know at the time, I am not an electronics guy) for a project.

I would rather just be told that it will not be included for 1st Gen and move on. So please tell me if you plan to do it or not. I am completely confused at this point with the whole saga.

Thanks!

Don

#42051 DS1821 temperature sensor over OneWire on Netduino Plus 2

Posted by Don King on 23 December 2012 - 02:43 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Thomas - Thanks for posting this. I have the DS18B20 One Wire temperature Sensor (https://www.sparkfun.../products/11050) and was wondering if this would work the same for what I have? I am a .NET Developer who is a complete newbie to electornics. Is there a chance you could post how you wired up your temperature sensor to the Netduino Plus if it is not too much trouble. I have the NP 1 but would assume there is not much of a difference? Thanks! Don

#34453 Help with DS18B20 and basic electronics

Posted by Don King on 30 August 2012 - 07:52 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Don,

Yes, referring to the picture in the other post, the white grid on the right hand side is the bread board.

All the ground slots on the Netduino are connected together, so it does not matter which one (or ones) you use.

I'm not sure where you are based, but in the UK I can recomend a company called Hobbytronics for electronic supplies. (I have spent much too much there!) From them you might buy a breadboard like this one. They have several sizes, and there are lots of other suppliers too.

And if you have an unlimited budget, you will not regret getting some jumper wires too.

Hope this helps - Paul

Edit : If my reply seems a bit odd, its because I started typing this before CW2 replied!

Hi Paul - Thanks for the information. I have been looking at Sparkfun and Adafruit and I will check to see if perhaps they have the one you mention. I live in the US but would think I could get the same thing. Also, thanks much for the suggestion of the wiki. I will be looking through the tutorials to try and get a better understanding of how to wire.

Thanks!

Don

#34446 Help with DS18B20 and basic electronics

Posted by Don King on 30 August 2012 - 05:54 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The pull-up resistor should be 4.7 kΩ (you are missing the kilo- prefix in your post, which means 4.7 Ω, but I assume it's just a typo). Connecting the sensor to Netduino directly is not really possible, because the leads do not reach the necessary pins (input pins are too far from the power), you'd need to solder some wires to the sensor leads. You can see sample connection for example in this post.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Yes, I did mean to have the Ω symbol but did not know how to make it. I did not however, know that it should be kΩ which I see makes a big difference. In looking at the pack of resistors I have I can see that they are 2 different things so thanks much for that. The tech I conversed with did not denote that and probably thought my experience level was such that I would know.

Thanks CW2 for the link to the post and picture. I have a couple of questions for you:

1. I mostly get the concept of the photo but I am not certain what I am looking at. Is that what is considered a breadboard? I recognize it from some documentation and tutorials I have read through. If so, can you recommened what I need to purchase?

2. Does it matter which of the 'Gnd' slots the Ground wire is connected to?

Thanks again much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Don

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.