DanielK's Content - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

DanielK's Content

There have been 4 items by DanielK (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#64694 Netduino 3 WiFi - no WiFi connection, no IP?

Posted by DanielK on 29 December 2015 - 05:41 PM in Netduino 3

I´m actually falling in love with the 3 WiFi :)

Pretty cool device and it makes my "sun and moon machine" (still a prototype) independent from a network cable. How cool is that!

Thanks, Secret Labs!

netduinoWeather.jpg

Daniel

#64686 Netduino 3 WiFi - no WiFi connection, no IP?

Posted by DanielK on 28 December 2015 - 01:49 PM in Netduino 3

I was watching the behavior of the WiFi LED on the board. Usually it takes not longer then 3-5 seconds until it goes from yellow (no connection) to green (connection established). So I set an initial delay of 10 seconds at the begin of my program and check the board´s IP address then. Successful, so far. I´ll try to improve my code in the next few days, cause this delay somehow feels not very smart.

However, since the startup time of the program is not critical for my project I could also live with the delay.

Daniel

#64681 Netduino 3 WiFi - no WiFi connection, no IP?

Posted by DanielK on 27 December 2015 - 07:48 PM in Netduino 3

thanks for your replies!

I was able to solve the problem, yet I don´t really understand it ;)

While I was not able to connect my N3 to the network I tried yesterday (although it looked connected from a routers point of view) I could connect to my other home network today. Same settings in MFDeploy (of course other DNS, SSID and password), same code on the N3.

N3 showed up in the "connected devices" list on the other router and I also could obtain an IP address within my code. Looks like it is really connected now. Finally!

So there must be something wrong with the WiFi network I used first. Whatever it was.

However, my Netduino 3 is connected to my network now. It has an IP address, I can ping it. I´m happy.

Big step forward to my wireless online-weather-station. A prototype of it is running on my Netduino Plus 2, but now I do not need the cable any more.  Cool!   Happy hacking Christmas finally! :)

@David: if I missed to reference a certain assembly I would expect a compiler error. But there was none. Code just compiled fine.

However, it seems to be a problem of the network I tried to connect to.

#64673 Netduino 3 WiFi - no WiFi connection, no IP?

Posted by DanielK on 27 December 2015 - 02:18 AM in Netduino 3

Hi there,

Santa Claus brought me a brand new Netduino 3 WiFi and I already thought this would be a "happy hacking Christmas". Unfortunately, it was not.

I tried to get the N3 connected to my network but I could not make any progress so far. I have been working with .NET for many years and using a Netduino Plus 2 for quite a while. So I think I have some experience with this.

However, I was not able to connect my N3 to my network. Or maybe I was....    Things are not quite clear.

FYI: I´m running VS 2013 Community Edition on a Windows 10 System, NETMF SDK 4.3, Netduino SDK 4.3.2.1 and Netduino firmware 4.3.2.3.

Here is what did and what happened (or not):

- connected the N3 to my computer for the 1st time, driver was installed correctly

- running MFDeploy to set the WiFi settings

- creating a little .NET program which first blinks the onboard LED, then using the "wait for IP address" code form
  the best practice part as posted in this forum, then waiting for an IP address and if it gets one continuously
  blinking the LED

- deploying the program the the N3 and running it

- WiFi LED on the board remains yellow for a few seconds, then turned green (should be connected now)

- I have checked my WiFi routers protocol and found the N3 connected, it´s shown in the log with an IP address

- the "wait for IP address" loop in my code never terminates, debugging shows IP address 0.0.0.0

(which is - of course! - different from the one my router shows for the N3)

- to ensure that the connection basically works I have changed the WiFi password to a wrong one for the N3 using MFDeploy,   restarted the N3 and checked the WiFi LED: first yellow, the off (not sure) but never green!

- changed back the password to the valid one, restarted the N3: LED first yellow, then green. Should be connected. N3 also visible in the list of connected devices on my router, again with valid IP address

- code on N3 still not able to "see" an IP address

- in VS output window I get this error message, every time the "wait for IP address" loop iterates:

"A first chance exception of type 'Netduino.IP.LinkLayers.CC3100SimpleLinkException' occurred in Netduino.IP.LinkLayers.CC3100"

After playing around with it for several hours trying different WiFi settings (using MFDeploy) and trying several debugging stuff I decided to have a beer instead. I´m somehow pissed now, not from the beer but from the N3. Or - more likely - once again from Microsoft. I don´t know yet ;)

Obviously it is connected (green LED, visible in the router´s list of connected devices) but also not, because I cannot obtain an IP address within my code.

I do not expect this to be a hardware problem of the N3. I´m pretty sure I did something wrong, maybe my code is rubbish. However, is there somebody out there who has similar problems and was able to get them fixed? Or can anybody describe how he/she get´s his/her N3 connected to a WiFi network?

I´m using this to check for WiFi connectivity:

while (IPAddress.GetDefaultLocalAddress() == IPAddress.Any)

And could anybody explain what the error message means:

"A first chance exception of type 'Netduino.IP.LinkLayers.CC3100SimpleLinkException' occurred in Netduino.IP.LinkLayers.CC3100"  ??  Google obviously can´t ;)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Daniel

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.