Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

mbrossett's Content

There have been 46 items by mbrossett (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#60343 Serial port exception using COM2 and COM3

Posted by mbrossett on 04 October 2014 - 05:05 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I figured out the problem. I accidentally assigned an inputport to one of the serial port pins on the Netduino. Getting rid of that line of code fixed my problems.

#60339 Serial port exception using COM2 and COM3

Posted by mbrossett on 03 October 2014 - 09:01 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Can anyone tell me if the netduino 2 has a problem using two serial ports in an application. I have each working fine on their own. However, when I tried to open both in an application I get an exception on the serialport.open() of the second one. I have tried everything. Please help!

#57672 Netduino attached/dettached several times during debug command

Posted by mbrossett on 21 April 2014 - 06:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Why does the Netduino disconnect and reconnect several times when I start a debug session? It will eventually start the debug, but up to that point Windows shows the Netduino being dettached and reattached 3, 4, 5,... times before it goes. Any ideas?

#57640 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 18 April 2014 - 08:57 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

No I don't think you need to buy a new one...yet. I have been on travel but should be able to send you something this weekend to help you troubleshoot.

#57601 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 17 April 2014 - 01:00 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yes. You can disconnect all wires from the 3 pin connector on the left.

#57584 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 15 April 2014 - 12:15 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Remove the RED wire connected to P1.1 of the display. You shouldn't have 5V tied to the RX pin. Actually since you aren't using the UART interface, you can leave P1 completely disconnected (VDD and VSS connections are already made on P2). After doing this remeasure the voltages and ensure you are getting the proper 5V to the display.

#57546 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 14 April 2014 - 02:13 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Also if you could send some good pics of your setup that would help, too. And are you using a good DMM to make your measurements (I.e. Are you confident with its readings)?

#57545 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 14 April 2014 - 02:07 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Frank,I measured the 5V railed and 5V header on my Netduino Plus 2 this evening running from a 9V, 1A power supply. The outputs were both right at 5V (with no load on the 5V header). I am putting something together for you to help your test and troubleshoot your hardware. I will send it to you tomorrow when I finish it up.

when i only connect the powersupply and nothing else the voltage on the 5V DC is 4.81 VDC ?
on both my Netduino's ? So what could be wrong then ?

When you say nothing else connected, does that mean the LCD is disconnected?

#57544 NETMF device port wish list...

Posted by mbrossett on 14 April 2014 - 01:49 AM in General Discussion

The LPC4370 is a 204MHz M4 with 2x 204MHz M0 cores and 264kB+ RAM. And the quad SPI interface makes it easy to add Flash. Although for an LCD capable board one would need to add external RAM and Flash anyway. It just seems to me to be as good or better than anything ST Micro has to offer and a perfect match for NETMF. But that is just my opinion.

But I understand that there is a lot of reasons to stay with the STM32F4 family, as Cuno has pointed out.

I have been using the GHI EMX Development System for a couple years but I am just disappointed with the performance. I'm surprised there isn't a lot of competition to that yet. I haven't tried their newer module base on the LPC1788, though. I will have to look more into

Chris the reason I am looking for Netduino to offer the product is for the NETMF display stuff to be implemented . Is Secret Labs planning on implementing this in the near future?

#57511 NETMF device port wish list...

Posted by mbrossett on 12 April 2014 - 10:45 PM in General Discussion

@Chris Walker and Secret Labs

Any chance we could see a Netduino with a powerful micro like the LPC4357? I would really like to see a Netduino with a 24-bit LCD port. Although, the hardware cost would be higher, it would be cool to see a port for the Intel Quark processors, too.

How difficult is it to port NETMF to a new processor?

#57510 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 12 April 2014 - 09:44 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I live in the US. I think you will learn more by me walking you through the steps of troubleshooting the hardware. Even if you are only interested in software. A software person with good hardware skills is very desirable.

Anyway, let me do some testing on my Netduino Plus 2 tomorrow and I will get back to you with some things to try.

#57491 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 12 April 2014 - 04:35 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

This is strange. Out of curiosity is the USB cable disconnected while taking these measurements?

So what we need to measure is the (1) input to the 5V regulator (should be about 8.7V), (2) the output of the 5V regulator (should be 5V when not powered by USB), (3) the voltage on the output side of the MOSFET load switch for the 5V header (should be around 4.95V), and (5) the voltage at the LCD (should be around 4.9V or more if you have proper cabling). When making these measurements your reference should be the power supply input negative terminal at the input barrel connector.

I'm surprised that the voltage output of the 5V regulator is so low.

#57485 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 11 April 2014 - 05:34 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Looking at the Netduino schematics I think it should more than capable of providing the LCD power without a large voltage drop...that being said let's figure out what is causing your 0.4V voltage drop and then we should be able to fix it. Please measure the following voltages...

1) VIN_PROTECTED (U1 pin 3 on Netduino)
2) +5.0V (U1 pin 4 on Netduino)
3) +5V_HEADER (at the connector on Netduino)
4) VDD (at the LCD input connector)
5) SDA/SCL (idle voltage)

Make these measurements with your 1500mA power supply connected to the Netduino and the LCD power, ground, SDA, and SCL pins connected to the Netduino connector.

#57467 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 11 April 2014 - 04:08 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Are you making any progress Frank?

#57451 Netduino 2 Firmware v4.2.2 (update 2)

Posted by mbrossett on 09 April 2014 - 04:35 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yes, I have the custom board working! Thanks for your help! And if you are curious about my issue...

The processor wasn't recognizing the attachment of the USB cable after the firmware was loaded. I measured the VBUS signal to the processor and realized it wasn't getting pulled up high enough due to the 100 Ohm series resistor I used. Removed the resistor and problem solved. Looking at the datasheet for the STM32F405 shows the internal resistor divider on the VBUS signal is fairly strong and explains the problem.

#57442 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 08 April 2014 - 11:54 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yeah, the voltage may still be too low. You should power it up from its own supply. Also make sure you are checking the return value of the I2C execute commands...that will tell you if the LCD is acknowledging the commands.

#57434 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 08 April 2014 - 02:08 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Also if you do not have the right sized barrel on the power supply, you could wire it up to VIN and GND pins of the Netduino connector. Make sure the voltage of the supply is between 7.5VDC and 9VDC, though.

#57433 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 08 April 2014 - 02:05 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

If you use an external power supply for the Netduino (such as the one below) you will only need to use USB for debugging as you have stated. The power supply should be connected to the barrel input jack. Be sure to ensure that the power supply has a positive center barrel (this is most common type).

http://www.mouser.co...bXAYafurk4XukHd

#57418 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 09:51 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I guess it just occurred to me that you are probably powering your Netduino from USB. That being said, if you have a power supply around (+7.5 to +9V DC, >500mA output) you could power your Netduino from that and may not need to wire up the LCD separate. If you have a power supply around that would be a quick test.

#57417 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 09:42 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Yes...you will have the power supply V+/V- wired up to VDD and VSS of the LCD, and the Netduino will need have SCL, SDA, and GND wired to the LCD.

#57415 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 09:29 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

So to make sure I understand you correctly, when you measure the 5V output of the Netduino without the LCD connected, the voltage is 4.68V...and with the LCD connected it is 4.23V?

If this is true, you must supply the LCD with its own 5V power supply. Do you have an old USB cell phone charge? If so, cut the connector off and wire it up to the LCD for 5V supply.

#57413 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 09:24 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

For the [latest versions of] Netduino 2 and 2 Plus you should connect the I2C lines to "SC" and "SD" as you are doing. What is the voltage to the LCD?

#57410 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 09:15 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Since the "device.Execute(...)" is returning zero, that tells you the LCD is not acknowledging the I2C commands. Double check that the SCL and SDA lines aren't crossed. Also verify that the power to the LCD from the Netduino is greater than 4.7V. If it is not you will need to power the LCD from its own supply/regulator.

#57408 Help on I2C

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 08:48 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Here's a few things to check...

1) Is there a jumper / short across R1? (R2 should be left open)

2) Measure the voltages of SDA and SCL while the bus is idle...are they pulled up to 5V?

3) Try adding a delay at the beginning of your code to ensure LCD is up and configure ("Thread.Sleep(1000);")

4) Step through the code using the debugger and ensure the "device.Execute(...);" functions are returning a non-zero value. You will need to change the code slightly... "int ret = device.Execute(...);"

5) Try setting the brightness and contrast..."display.SetBrightness(0x07);" ... "display.SetContrast(0x30);"

The Netduino should be capable of providing the 250mA to the display, but you can verify this by measuring the voltage at the display when it is plugged in. If the voltage is above 4.7V it is fine.

#57398 Adding to Cpu.Pin enumeration

Posted by mbrossett on 07 April 2014 - 01:25 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thank you very much CW2! Also, I have attached a simple class that defines the STM32F405RG pins.

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;

namespace STM32F4
{
    public static class Pin
    {
        public static Cpu.Pin PA0 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(0); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA1 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(1); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA2 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(2); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA3 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(3); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA4 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(4); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA5 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(5); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA6 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(6); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA7 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(7); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA8 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(8); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA9 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(9); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA10 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(10); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA11 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(11); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA12 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(12); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA13 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(13); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA14 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(14); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PA15 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(15); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB0 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 0); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB1 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 1); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB2 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 2); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB3 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 3); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB4 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 4); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB5 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 5); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB6 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 6); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB7 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 7); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB8 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 8); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB9 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 9); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB10 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 10); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB11 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 11); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB12 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 12); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB13 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 13); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB14 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 14); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PB15 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(16 + 15); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC0 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 0); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC1 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 1); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC2 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 2); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC3 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 3); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC4 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 4); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC5 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 5); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC6 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 6); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC7 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 7); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC8 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 8); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC9 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 9); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC10 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 10); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC11 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 11); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC12 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 12); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC13 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 13); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC14 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 14); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PC15 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(32 + 15); } }
        public static Cpu.Pin PD2 { get { return (Cpu.Pin)(48 + 2); } }
    }
}

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.