Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Edward's Content

There have been 35 items by Edward (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#26228 Redacted 00101100

Posted by Edward on 01 April 2012 - 09:33 AM in General Discussion

Today it says "need more input". I hope tomorrow it says "need more RAM" ;->

#26112 Getting Started with...

Posted by Edward on 29 March 2012 - 08:40 PM in General Discussion

Yay! I got my copy of "Getting Started with Netduino" today. Pre-ordered on amazon.co.uk 3rd August 2011; delivered 29th March 2012. It's a great read. I know all of this stuff already; I made my purchase mainly to show support for the project and to see how it's being presented to new adopters. Having seen it, I'm sure they will be enthused. It's a well paced and structured tutorial. Good job Chris!

#25955 What's going on with the >= operator?

Posted by Edward on 25 March 2012 - 06:04 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Where I struggled was with the base. I needed to use the Natural Logarithm base of 2.718281828 to get the right result, so:

Log(tempBead.Read(), 2.718281828);

That base constant 'e' is in the math library as System.Math.E

HTH

#21139 Website homepage

Posted by Edward on 30 November 2011 - 12:44 AM in General Discussion

Correct me if I'm being 'blind' but it seems strange to me that there's no links to info on the Plus or the Mini from the netduino.com homepage.

#18497 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 27 September 2011 - 02:07 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

What's happening on this? The Codeplex status is "Several suggestions are in the hands of SecretLabs to produce a new firmware image" For me the problem happens alot with ND+ and 4.2. But it also happens on 4.1 and other targets e.g. GHI Cobra albeit a lot less frequently. Feels luke the ball is in the wrong court to me (hope that translates).

#17575 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0 RC1

Posted by Edward on 05 September 2011 - 01:11 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I bumped into this too. The regex library is a port of an old (but worthy) Apache Java library (Jakarta)to C# (it's not native). It doesn't support quite the same syntax as the desktop .Net regex library (which is a little irritating). One thing that's not implemented is named capture groups af far as I'm aware. There are also some differences on what characters have to be escaped. I ended up downloading the library source and compiling it to find this out. Maybe these inconsistencies are worthy of a 'bug' on CodePlex. For me the performance from a non-native library and its cosiderable memory footprint made me look for simpler techniques for what I was trying to achieve.

#17422 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 02 September 2011 - 02:58 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

In the app which is currently on your Netduino, is it writing out lots of Debug info?

Nope - it just prints an "I'm alive" message every 10 seconds from the main thread.
The app is a little HTTP server hosting a SilverLight client, so it's just sitting idle waiting for a connect.

#17415 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 01 September 2011 - 11:45 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Are you sending large amounts of debug info from the device by any chance?

It'd be nice to be able to get to the point where I could look at the debug info ;->

But no, with that project size the steps are:
Boot windows
Start VS
Deploy project
Click stop debug
Deploy project
Deploy hangs
Reset NP -> BSOD (or 50% of the time straight to BIOS)

#17409 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 01 September 2011 - 08:59 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

P.S. Does anyone have a simple project (something along the lines of "Hello world" or maybe a little more sophisticated) which regularly causes a BSOD?

Chris

My experience is that the problem is strongly exacerbated by the size of the project. I've a project that has a deployment size of 57k and it'll cause the BSOD on the second deployment; every time. I'm on Win7 x64 and Netduino Plus. So to get something reproducible just write "Hello World" and link in a buch of extra libraries.

The debug stack trace I posted pretty clearly shows a recusive behaviour around the operation completion continuation function. I also see that there's a check in of the driver code for RC2 that may be an attempt to fix this by putting a monitor on the completion.

#17163 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 27 August 2011 - 08:09 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

After one false start with the symbols but the non-debug build of the driver still loaded I think I've captured an informative debug trace of the driver issue. I've put the info up on the work item CodePlex.

#17158 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 27 August 2011 - 04:47 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

What other files do you need?

Got it - I'd not spotted your edit with the debug version just an hour earlier.

#17137 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 26 August 2011 - 11:55 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Are the symbols for the beta driver available? I caught a full dump but have no symbols so it's not very useful.

#16924 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0 RC1

Posted by Edward on 21 August 2011 - 06:10 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

No. We're awaiting a revised build from Secret Labs. See http://netmf.codeple...m/workitem/1166

#16916 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Edward on 21 August 2011 - 01:50 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

On the Netduino Plus the SD card sits on the SPI0 bus and the SPI1 bus is available to the user. But you say you are not using the Plus so what SD card solution are you using and on which interface? How have you got the chip select lines for the SD card and the VS1053 connected?

#16858 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 20 August 2011 - 01:08 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Done

#16856 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 20 August 2011 - 12:50 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Feels so like a memory/resource leak. After fresh boot deplyment is fast, responsive etc. Then after a few deploy/debug cycles deplyment starts to struggle to get the devices attention, reset button works a few times but after 6-10 deployments the bug check BSOD.

I also observe that moving to a different USB port at the unresponsive stage (before the BSOD) buys more time so it's like there's a leak per port that hits some limit (hence the reference to nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+0x11 in the stack trace.

HTH

#16853 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 19 August 2011 - 10:41 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Nope, sorry, just got the same BSOD. cc'd CodePlex.

#16840 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 19 August 2011 - 10:58 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Got the driver loaded. Testing...

#16828 Is there a good way to tell if you are connected to a network?

Posted by Edward on 18 August 2011 - 10:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Are you using DHCP? Perhaps you can query the current IP address?

Also, they may be network "connect" and "disconnect" events. Worth a look...

Chris

In the desktop version of the framework there is NetworkInterface.GetIsNetworkAvailable Method which I'm finding difficult to do without.

It seems odd in MF to have envent that indicate a change in network availability but no property to indicate the current state. Is this an omission in MF or something (presumably hardware specific) that should be provided by a SecretLabs library function.

#16776 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Edward on 16 August 2011 - 11:08 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Can you post a link to some info on the VB1053 please. I tried googling it but didn't find any relevant results.

#16774 Deployment sizes

Posted by Edward on 16 August 2011 - 10:57 PM in Visual Studio

I know there have been various threads on "how big is my program?" but I don't think there is a good, clear explanation here or on the Wiki yet. I'm banging my head on the ceiling for code size at the moment. I've learned that when an application is too big to deploy all you get from VS is the error "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware" and that a little more information is shown in the output from 'Micro Framework Device Deployment' e.g.: Incrementally deploying assemblies to device Deploying assemblies for a total size of 141280 bytes Assemblies not successfully deployed to device. Deployment to the device was not successful. And I understand that 141280 is much bigger than the N+ can handle (which I assume to be 65536). In helping me get to finding what assemblies are causing such application bloat, I'm looking at the start of the debug output of a successful delpoy which appears to contain details of per assembly sizes but I don't understand how these relate to the physical constraints of the target device. For example: Attaching deployed file. Assembly: xFxMF (1.0.0.0) (2644 RAM - 31216 ROM - 11306 METADATA) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: HTTP (1.0.0.0) (2152 RAM - 26640 ROM - 8930 METADATA) Resolving. Total: (16536 RAM - 159476 ROM - 73739 METADATA) What do the figures for RAM, ROM and METADATA mean? Can they help me to trim my oversize application down?

#16746 Update:UDP Broadcast Send/Receive fixed for next release

Posted by Edward on 15 August 2011 - 07:34 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

High five!

#16739 Update:UDP Broadcast Send/Receive fixed for next release

Posted by Edward on 15 August 2011 - 02:59 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I've reproduced this too while porting the framework for xAP home automation to the N+. So lookes like the define set to 1 enables a filter that stops broadcasts. FYI broadcast tx and rx do work on the address 255.255.255.255 but not the local subnet broadcast eg 192.168.1.255. No xAP without broadcast. Vote added. What I'm not clear on is if this is an issue for the MF team or Secret Labs. Not quite worked out where that division of responsibility falls.

#16400 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 06 August 2011 - 08:53 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

No problem, I'll do that, already have the debugger installed. By the way, yes I too have had the crashes where there is no bluescreen just straight to BIOS.

#16343 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 04 August 2011 - 11:52 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I had it happen a couple times yesterday after going to 4.2 as well.

I just spotted that this issue despite a high vote count was closed on Codeplex this Monday by "lorenzte" with no explanation. Outrageous.

Seriously considering an alternative platform for my product development as NETMF is proving too painful and unproductive at the moment. I had high hopes for it.

:-/

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.