Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

emg's Content

There have been 62 items by emg (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#53795 Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.3.0 (beta 1)

Posted by emg on 03 November 2013 - 10:49 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I echo JoopC's request and [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]neographikal sentiment. [/color]

#51080 Wake on LAN server

Posted by emg on 04 July 2013 - 10:54 AM in General Discussion

If you have a Draytek router, you can do this w/o any additional hardware. I'm sure other routers do it as well.

WOL via open port

WOL via Router

Any help?

Also, I keep my PC on 24/7 and use Logmein to access. I believe Logmein also supports WOL directly so you don't even need to make any router changes. Never tested it though.

#50196 Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.3.0 (beta 1)

Posted by emg on 02 June 2013 - 04:10 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Now I read this, I am very disappointed in Nettduino Secret Labs.

Have a look at GHI Electronics devices. They are still at 4.2, but this Developer page shows clearly the release status and known issues. It sure beats having to scan hundreds of posts in multiple forums to gain the same knowledge about the Netduino. They also don't appear to be distracted with a kickstarter and a watch.

#50073 What to use for RTC backup?

Posted by emg on 29 May 2013 - 08:27 AM in General Discussion

I've got one of these: DS1338 (DS1307 compatible, 3.3-5v I2C)

http://www.ebay.co.u...e-/270762577188

#48537 Setting up NP2 internet for global access?

Posted by emg on 18 April 2013 - 10:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Guam, cool! I Hafa Adai! (I lived there for a few years)

Will you be in control of the network the NP2 is attached to on Guam? Also, is the router on Guam configured with a static IP address from their ISP? If so, you will need to port forward on your router to the internal IP address you assigned to your NP2. You can pick any arbitrary port number but your will need to listen/serve the same port from the NP2 and forward on your router to the internet. From Siberia, you can then access the NP2 by http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port/page.html where xxx is the public IP address of the router in Guam and :port is the port you have forwarded. (assuming you don't use the default http port 80)

If the router on Guam is a dynamic IP address it becomes more difficult. If the network router on Guam is out of your control (campus, business, etc) you will not be able to see the NP2 from outside the network.

#48184 Newbee on netduino here.

Posted by emg on 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yes, VB is supported by .NET Micro Framework SDK v4.2 and later. Read through the VB forum for posts about missing functionality.

Welcome!

#47485 Netduino Web Server w/ Splash Page

Posted by emg on 22 March 2013 - 05:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The Wifi hotspot software I've worked with use 2 network cards and turns the PC into a 'router' or proxy, so I would say you need additional hardware other than the netduino to make this happen.

#47458 DNS request problem in 4.2

Posted by emg on 21 March 2013 - 08:57 PM in General Discussion

Unless there is an issue with GetHostEntry, it sounds to me as if a bad DNS entry is cached on your router or is mis-configured. Can you replicate your tests on your PC (do an IPCONFIG /flushdns between tests). Manually enter a single DNS server entry (don't use secondary) and then you can try ping by hostname to test.

#47452 Netduino Web Server w/ Splash Page

Posted by emg on 21 March 2013 - 08:41 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Can you define a 'splash page'? Something like an AJAX window that takes focus from the page? Or simply a static HTML page that loads once on first view? This will probably require a cookie to track return visits.

#47245 Problem getting time via NTP (Socket Exception)

Posted by emg on 15 March 2013 - 09:02 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I don't get it, why do you have 2x the same DNS IP for primary/secondary? IFAIK, this just means it takes twice as long to fail over to the next DNS server if 24.229.54.212 is down or slow to respond.

I've found Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to be good and it does not lock you to your ISP DNS. They seem quick and don't block anything (ISP's in the UK like to block PirateBay et al).

In general, split your troubleshooting into routing and name resolution. If you can ping or connect to ntp via IP address then you've isolated the problem to DNS. Also, check your ISP's current DNS settings as they can change over time (esp if you have been with them for years - this happened to me). Some ISP's provide different DNS servers for each type of service they offer, home, business, etc. The order is sometimes also important. The Primary DNS is usually the fastest over the Secondary but again it depends on ISP.

#46737 Need help with network settings on N+2

Posted by emg on 06 March 2013 - 08:36 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yes, you should be able to do it, but why? Both your devices would lose network/internet connectivity (kinda defeats the purpose IMHO). You will need a cross over cable or auto-sensing NIC that crosses over w/o cable. I would not bother as the switch built into your router has some buffering and provides the network backbone, i.e., it just generally works better w/o any funky issues that I've seen arise in other direct cable situations.

#46713 Need help with network settings on N+2

Posted by emg on 05 March 2013 - 09:46 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I would use standard Ethernet patch cables and connect both your PC and Netduino to the switch/router. The default gateway on your Netduino needs to be set to the IP address of your router (this should be also set on your PC). I would check your PC IP settings (IPCONFIG /all in a DOS box on the PC) and I assume net mask is correct 255.255.255.0, which will be the same for all devices on your network).

Once you have the right IP, mask and gateway set in the Netduino and powered up and connected to the router, you can ping it from your PC to see if it is seen (DOS box, PING 192.168.0.100). Does it reply to pings?

#46615 Switching deployment/debugging between USB and COM1/COM2

Posted by emg on 04 March 2013 - 03:45 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Kyle,

Welcome! They could probably use your insight into USB over here --> Looking for a few ninja code contributors...

#46608 Looking for a few ninja code contributors...

Posted by emg on 04 March 2013 - 09:52 AM in General Discussion

You can browse the code in that CodeProject article...

#46477 N+2 Hangs on HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()

Posted by emg on 01 March 2013 - 09:35 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks, for the update. That looks like the better option for you (set device to DHCP and reserve it at the DHCP server). It is still unusual that the netduino that changes its static IP address does not signal the change to your router and you have to manually clear the ARP cache. This should happen by OSI model design.

#46318 N+2 Hangs on HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()

Posted by emg on 27 February 2013 - 10:07 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Wow, that's strange. What type of router do you have? What your saying is that effectively you can use every IP address only once until router reboot? I assume this is the ARP cache and it's supposed to 're-register' a device every time it connects and periodically, see here ARP Cache - What is it?

So is this a result of no/bad broadcast support in the lwip stack (i.e., not registering as dynamic) or something else? If you take one of your other connected devices that are using a fixed IP address (Apple TV or Samsung printer in your example) does it also have the same problem?

#46277 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by emg on 26 February 2013 - 10:41 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

cdn,

Sorry, you mis-understood me. Enable the DOS (Denial of Service) packet filters on your router (if they have them) to >prevent< malformed packets from locking up your router, not suggesting they were the cause.

Also, I would be wary about testing via direct cross-over cable between 2 NIC's as I've seen this cause issues, depending on the NIC. it's better to connect both devices to a switch and use port mirroring to sniff packets. 

#46235 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by emg on 25 February 2013 - 11:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Check and see if the router or Cisco has any DOS blocking filters and enable them. My Draytek 2820 has these and rejects large/malformed packets. 

#46213 N+2 Hangs on HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()

Posted by emg on 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

What's happening to the MAC address every time it's freezing?

#46127 No DFU mode, no blue light

Posted by emg on 23 February 2013 - 10:55 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Try plugging into a different USB port (esp change from front to back ports or other way). This will change to a different USB controller, and often can kick the PC into re-recognizing attached devices).

#46074 Netduino Plus 1 Firmware v4.2.0 (update 1)

Posted by emg on 22 February 2013 - 02:30 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

http://wiki.netduino...ep-by-step.ashx

#45965 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by emg on 21 February 2013 - 12:32 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Chris, Watchdog please! It won't help N+1 issues but this will help JoopC and other 'black box' installations (like when you have a Netduino installed at your mother-in-laws house and it locks up...) if using N+2.

BTW, I thought that with N+2 and it's 'offloaded' Ethernet chip, this was supposed to allow you to recover from networking issues by simply power-cycling the Ethernet chip?

JoopC, can you try another test with your router? Instead of disabling DHCP, what happens if you unplug the router from the ADSL line and reconnect. Does it still lock up?

#45852 Home Control with Netduino Plus 1

Posted by emg on 19 February 2013 - 09:27 PM in General Discussion

+1 for using XML or other machine readable format. I would also look to change the schema so you can define any number of on/off times per end-point rather than a fixed flat layout as you are currently envisioning.

#45519 Safely ejecting SD card (and other problems)

Posted by emg on 14 February 2013 - 07:33 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

lol.

Let me Google that for you

My personal favourite: Ermahgerd Translator

#45012 BTinterface my Android app to control uControllers via Bluetooth

Posted by emg on 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM in Project Showcase

It looks like will eventually get sorted, just be prepared to wait... or just use the Wheezy soft float while you wait.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.