Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Nevyn's Content

There have been 27 items by Nevyn (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#69132 Visual Studio 2017 support

Posted by Nevyn on 08 June 2017 - 09:40 AM in Visual Studio

The firmware on the board and the SDK used to by the application need to be at the same release level.

Regards,

Mark

#69030 Application Development on the STM8S

Posted by Nevyn on 04 June 2017 - 04:32 PM in Netduino Go

Glad you still find the articles useful.  I think I only have one area to look at, CAN, I think I may encounter resistance if I try playing around with the car.

Regards,

Mark

#66129 SPI on VB?

Posted by Nevyn on 19 December 2016 - 09:44 PM in Visual Basic Support

I'm not aware of any SPI examples in VB.  However, have you tried taking one of the C# examples and using one of the online convertors to translate the C# to VB?  I believe Telerik have a free online service.

Regards,

Mark

#66115 Mini 2?

Posted by Nevyn on 19 November 2016 - 05:21 PM in Netduino Mini

It's been over a year since Chris logged on.

Mind you, we have a new administrator apparently, lamebrain, who joined Nov 7 2016.  Maybe they can tell us what is going on.

Cheers,

Mark

#65979 Sub routines with LED flash

Posted by Nevyn on 04 October 2016 - 07:12 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thought about using NETMF timers ?

http://blog.mark-ste...1/netmf-timers/

Alternatively, PWM ?

Regards,

Mark

#65567 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 14 August 2016 - 05:35 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Interesting, that code looks to be using 0x3f as the address.

Have you tried the code you found with MICROSOFTWAY defined to use the NETMF libraries or are you just using the software I2C?

Regards,

Mark

#65557 Unable to create new forum user - is anyone admin on the forum?

Posted by Nevyn on 12 August 2016 - 06:01 AM in General Discussion

The hate comments seemed to be confined to the Kickstarter campaign (in the most).

To be honest, I'd have thought (hope) that Chris would be concentrating on the Agent project to deliver on it's promises.  He's always come across as honest and straight up.

My thoughts on Kickstarter match yours, it's a risk.  I've never backed a project with money I was not prepared to lose.

Regards,

Mark

#65550 Manifest for .NETMF (the current state and the future we want for it)

Posted by Nevyn on 11 August 2016 - 11:56 AM in General Discussion

It has normally been left to Secret Labs to update the NETMF version for the Netduino family.  As Chris and co no longer seem to be present then I'd say it is up to the community to create an update for the Netduino boards.

Regards,

Mark

#65543 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 11 August 2016 - 05:02 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Have you tried moving the address 1 place to the left ?

Regards,

Mark

#65536 Manifest for .NETMF (the current state and the future we want for it)

Posted by Nevyn on 10 August 2016 - 05:18 PM in General Discussion

While I agree with the passion of your argument I'm not sure that I agree with your logic.

From a company perspective [Microsoft] I feel that the focus for microcontroller development has moved from NETMF to Windows 10 IoT Core.  As such, Netduino, and I suspect GHI (although I don't follow their forums) will suffer.

For NETMF to continue to exist in the hobby market it needs to use gcc as the compiler, I don't think anyone other than a commercial company would want to invest the money in Keil or other commercial compilers to control their aquarium, open their doors, brew beer etc.  You can do this but it is not for the feint of heart.  If you are interested how to build with gcc go to Adafruits web site and look for Neopixels and Netduino.

I love the NETMF platform, it got me started with microcontrollers.  Having said this, time has moved on.  The rise of the single board computer means that there are more powerful platforms out there and I think that is where MS realised and moved on to.  So having said I love this platform which direction am I travelling.  Well it's a combination of ESP8266, STM8S, STM32 and Raspberry Pi.  With the exception of the STM8S, I can use Visual Studio with all of them.

Technology moves on and we must move with it.

We live in interesting times.

Regards,

Mark

#65500 Application Development on the STM8S

Posted by Nevyn on 05 August 2016 - 08:07 AM in Netduino Go

Added links to a few more articles from last year.

Regards,

Mark

#65496 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 05 August 2016 - 04:35 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I validated that the LCD does work on an Arduino.  So, I'm pretty sure its the voltage mismatch.

<snip>

I'm determined to get this working no matter what the costs.  I don't want to waste my $2 dollars on its purchase.

That's the spirit, not defeated, just learning more...

Regards,

Mark

#65488 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 04 August 2016 - 03:11 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Not sure if a transistor would but if you look at some of the schematics for Adafruit devices (say BME280) I'm sure they use FETs on the data lines for logic level shifting.

Regards,

Mark

#65484 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 04 August 2016 - 05:00 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've had a closer look at the schematic and although the PCF8574T is 2.6-6V compatible it is connected to the supply voltage.  It takes a high logic level of Vcc-0.5V to Vcc as logic level 1.  So supplying with 5V means that the Netduino is unlikely to be able to drive the LCD.

If you only need to send data to the LCD then you could consider trying to convert the 3.3V to 5V using a transistor.  Not sure if that will work.

One other point, the board already has 4k7 pull-ups on the SDA and SCL lines.

If you are looking for other boards then search the project showcase.  Someone posted a class for a board sold by Sparkfun.  This is a serial board running at 3.3V.  It is 10x the price of the one on eBay though.

I would have thought that any board sold as Pi compatible should be good as the Pi is also only 3.3V output.  Purchasing from someone like Adafruit or Sparkfun should give you confidence in the claims of compatibility.

Regards,

Mark

#65465 Data Scan rate..

Posted by Nevyn on 02 August 2016 - 06:45 PM in Netduino 3

If you are using interrupts to track the changes in the data rate then I would not trust the Netduino to keep up.

The SPI bus will certainly work at higher rates but that is using the SPI protocol.

Regards,

Mark

#65464 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 02 August 2016 - 06:43 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Arduino compatible does not mean it will necessarily work with Netduino due to the differences in the logic levels.

Netduino logic levels are 0 - 3.3V for output but they will tolerate 5V on input.

Arduino levels are normally 0 - 5V for both input and output.

So, does the LCD require 5V logic levels or is it designed to work with 3.3V logic?

Regards,

Mark

#65456 16x2 LCD I2C Netduino Plus 2 Not Working

Posted by Nevyn on 02 August 2016 - 04:17 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Few things spring to mind:

1. Does the device have a contrast potentiometer?  I have seen displays show rectangular blocks when the contrast is turned up too high.
  2. The LCD is supplied with 5V according to the ebay page.  Is the I2C logic also 5V?  The Netduinos only supply 3.3V logic.
  3. Might be worth left shifting the I2C address 1 place left as an experiment.  I can't remember if the I2C library in .NET does tis for you or if you have to do it yourself.  For those who aren't aware, bit 0 is the read/write indicator bit and the address goes into the top 7 bits.

Regards,

Mar.

#65438 i2c PowerUp

Posted by Nevyn on 29 July 2016 - 05:27 AM in Netduino 3

The Adafruit module uses the FETs to make it 5V tolerant.  They seem to do this as standard on a few of their modules.  I have a few that incorporate a regulator in case you want to supply 5V and the FETs incase the external controller is 5V.

Regards,

Mark

#65379 Schematics Question

Posted by Nevyn on 19 July 2016 - 06:45 AM in Netduino 3

If you look at the data sheet for the AX88796CLF, page 22 you will see that Pin 9 of the chip refers to the on chip regulator.  My brief reading of the data sheet suggests that the 3.3V input to the chip is used to drive the regulator which then outputs 1.8V on pin 9.

Regards,

Mark

#65305 Netduino 3 Ethernet Static IP Issues

Posted by Nevyn on 05 July 2016 - 06:31 PM in Netduino 3

Any news or progress on this?  I bought some more Netduino Pus 2's to hold me over for a bit but if this isn't sorted out I'll need to bail form the Netduino platform and look for a new controller to build my product with.  Chris?  Any news??

Chris has been absent from the forums since November 2015.

Regards,

Mark

#65304 Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.3.1

Posted by Nevyn on 05 July 2016 - 06:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

In my experience, upgrading the firmware on the board tends to be the same for each board family and does not change between firmware versions.

Regards,

Mark

#65280 Unable to create new forum user - is anyone admin on the forum?

Posted by Nevyn on 30 June 2016 - 02:01 PM in General Discussion

All new users have to be authorised by one of the site admins/moderators team before they can post.  The full list of moderators can be found at the bottom of the Forums home page.

As you will note, none of the regular forum members are in that group.

Effectively - there is no administrator at the moment.

Regards,

Mark

#65274 i2c PowerUp

Posted by Nevyn on 30 June 2016 - 05:10 AM in Netduino 3

Have you considered the pull-up resistors on the I2C bus?

There's an article on how multiple I2C devices can change the value used for the pull-up resistors here.

Regards,

Mark

#65239 How to communicate to your PC using the serial port?

Posted by Nevyn on 22 June 2016 - 03:28 PM in Netduino 3

Are you expecting to use the USB on the Netduino itself or are you using a USB to serial cable?

Regards,

Mark

#65237 Spare pin on Digital Header 2 usage.

Posted by Nevyn on 22 June 2016 - 07:52 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Pin 8 (AREF) is used to supply the analogue reference voltage to the Arduino boards.  On the Netduino P2 the board uses the onboard 3.3V supply for the analogue reference voltage.  This means that there is no need to connect this pin.

Regards,

Mark

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.