Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

erich's Content

There have been 21 items by erich (Search limited from 17-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#19769 Export TXT File from NetDuino Plus to PC

Posted by erich on 25 October 2011 - 08:18 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Without running your code I am not sure what your problem is. You have 2 pieces of code; data recording and data transfer which need to be threaded to run at the same time. My experience is this can memory issues (which I never resolved though I had other stuff going on to). My solution was to start the webserver in 1 thread then started data recording. Not sure whether you will need to close the file to upload data.

#18869 Cannot Connect to Pachube

Posted by erich on 06 October 2011 - 12:52 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have seen N+ hang on a socket connection and also with DNS. I would try hard coding the target IP address. The other thing to bare in mind is the networking using a lot of memory which the then causes indirect and undefined errors, especially if you have a lot of other stuff going on.

#18773 What should I do?

Posted by erich on 04 October 2011 - 02:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have been working a project which basically has to be all things to all men - Serial Comms, lots of I/O, Internet access, SD card. We started off with a standard Arduino and Ethernet shield, but this did not have the "buffered" UART - useful Serial comms. We looked at a Chipkit Max32, but whilst it is advertised with Ethernet it requires a second shield the Arduino Ethernet does not work). We also tried out a PIC development board (but I am not an electronic engineer and that made my head hurt too much) We then looked at the Netduino Plus- on the face of it, it has everything - great price, buffered UART - Ethernet, SD Card, plenty of I/O, and it uses - NET MF, as we have lot of .Net code already - we thought we were in business. The prototype was built and I started coding. This is when it started to fall apart - to use my mother's express it was like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot (too much into too small a space). I would get parts of it going on their own, merge it together and it would stop working sometimes with obvious memory related errors - sometimes it would just die. It has become very frustrating. So to my question - what should I do? 1. Are there tricks I can use to make the use of memory very efficient so I can use Netduino? 2. Go back to one of the other platforms - if so which one? 3. Try a new platform - which one? 4. Go for a bespoke solution rather than off the shelf components?

#18539 Crash on network socket unplug

Posted by erich on 28 September 2011 - 08:47 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Phil, I haven't seen your issue, mainly because I have get Socket.Connect() hanging problem (My Sockets are using http or udp). We too wanted to use Netduino in a production environment, but this another issues mainly memory related mean we are having to consider our options. Netduino Plus is a nice platform - very compact, lots of features, interesting price But................

#18535 Network stability issues

Posted by erich on 28 September 2011 - 08:13 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Strange, when I run the exact same code in VB it works perfectly. No problems at all.

Netduino Plus rev.B, capabilities:

HalSystemInfo.halVersion:               4.2.0.0
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo:            Netduino Plus (v4.2.0.0 RC1) by Secret Labs LLC
HalSystemInfo.oemCode:                  34
HalSystemInfo.modelCode:                177
HalSystemInfo.skuCode:                  4097
HalSystemInfo.moduleSerialNumber:       00000000000000000000000000000000
HalSystemInfo.systemSerialNumber:       0000000000000000
ClrInfo.clrVersion:                     4.2.0.0
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo:                  Netduino Plus (v4.2.0.0 RC1) by Secret Labs LLC
ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion:         4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion:    4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Netduino Plus (v4.2.0.0 RC1) by Secret Labs LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate:              Aug  7 2011
SoftwareVersion.CompilerVersion:        400902
FloatingPoint:                          True
SourceLevelDebugging:                   True
ThreadCreateEx:                         True
LCD.Width:                              0
LCD.Height:                             0
LCD.BitsPerPixel:                       0
AppDomains:                             False
ExceptionFilters:                       True
IncrementalDeployment:                  True
SoftReboot:                             True
Profiling:                              False
ProfilingAllocations:                   False
ProfilingCalls:                         False
IsUnknown:                              False

Try running with MFDeploy instead of the Visual Studio debugger, it gives some more info like:

You can do this by opening C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.2\Tools\MFDeploy.exe, select USB, the device and press F5. Then press the reset button on your netduino to re-run your app.

Hi Stephan,

Just been using MFDeploy - once I reverted to DHCP - I the same as you got except after AutoNegotiate complete -rather than getting NetworkConnection true I get System.Net.Sockets.SocketException. Any ideas why? I am running RC4.2

regards
Eric

#18498 Network stability issues

Posted by erich on 27 September 2011 - 02:44 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have a C# version without non availability for 500+ iterations but it is interesting. I hoped it might have explained a Socket.Connect() problem I am experiencing.

using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Net.NetworkInformation;

namespace NetstabTest
{
public class Program
{
public static void Main()
{
Program p = new Program();
NetworkChange.NetworkAvailabilityChanged += p.NetworkAvailibilty;
p.GetNetworkAccess();

int i = 0;
while (true)
{
Debug.Print("sleeping:" + i++);
Thread.Sleep(500);
}

}

private void NetworkAvailibilty(object sender, NetworkAvailabilityEventArgs e)
{
Debug.Print("Network availibility" + e.IsAvailable);
GetNetworkAccess();
}

public void GetNetworkAccess()
{

NetworkInterface[] nis = NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();

for (int i = 0; i < nis.Length; i++)
{
NetworkInterface networkInterface = nis[i];

if (networkInterface.NetworkInterfaceType == NetworkInterfaceType.Ethernet)
{
string m_macAddress = networkInterface.PhysicalAddress[0].ToString();
for (int j = 1; j < networkInterface.PhysicalAddress.Length; ++j)
{
m_macAddress += "-" + networkInterface.PhysicalAddress[j].ToString();
}

string[] m_staticDnsAddresses = new string[] { "0.0.0.0", "0.0.0.0" };
for (int k = 0; k < networkInterface.DnsAddresses.Length; ++k)
{
m_staticDnsAddresses[k] = networkInterface.DnsAddresses[k];
}

Debug.Print(networkInterface.IPAddress);
}
}
}

}
}

#18484 Light me up!

Posted by erich on 27 September 2011 - 11:51 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Is it off-line again or just over subscribed?

#18482 Socket.Receive max out on 256 bytes?

Posted by erich on 27 September 2011 - 11:43 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Does it run in the Emulator? I am also having socket.Connect issues in C#(different config). It hangs before the stage you are at, but works OK in the emulator.

#18475 UPDATE: Fixed for RC3 -- New Bug discovered in Socket.Connect Method!

Posted by erich on 27 September 2011 - 09:54 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I am using RC2 and it hangs everytime on Socket.connect() :-(

Will this issue be fixed in RC3 - if so when?

Note the code runs ok on the MS Emulator.

My code is pretty identical to this

#18324 Socket.Connect blocks all threads?

Posted by erich on 22 September 2011 - 01:09 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Today I have seen 4.2 RC hang with a Socket.Connect() - I modified the send and receive timeouts which had no affect.

#18291 Launching an application from an SD card fails. AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUn...

Posted by erich on 21 September 2011 - 12:39 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I have just tried this on an N+ I have got a System. NotImplemented Error in mscorlib.dll against AppDomain.CurrentDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrapp(.....) I used MFDeploy and discovered AppDomains set to false. What should I do?

#18289 Over ambitious ???

Posted by erich on 21 September 2011 - 12:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks for the response. I agree but in reality there will be only 1-2 users as the device will be situated behind a firewall. My question was more general than that - I am finding that even when debugging the device quickly runs out of memory - hence question about static vs dynamic objects.

#18277 Over ambitious ???

Posted by erich on 21 September 2011 - 08:45 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi, I have a N+ on to which I am deploying a 19K application. It is flashed with RC 4.2 This uses the standard assembies plus Secretlabs.NetMF.IO assembly. It drives a LCD via SPI, a small webserver based on threaded sockets, and an SD card for data storage. I am getting memory allocation errors. "Failed allocation for 343 blocks 4416 bytes. A first chance exception of type System.Exception occurred". My question is: am I being over ambitious with N+? Secondly should I use static or dynamic classes? I have been experimenting with dynamic classes, hoping that the garbage collector will help me out.

#18236 Post Reflash RC4.2

Posted by erich on 20 September 2011 - 10:21 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi, I have just upgraded to RC 4.2 and .NET MF 4.2 beta. Just tried rebuilding/deploying Blinky to check everything's working. The build works fine but there a link dependancies on the Assemblies between Secretlabs.NETMF.Hardware.* and Microsoft.Spot.Hardware and mscorlib. Is there an upgrade to the Secretlabs assemblies I am missing? Thanks Eric Update: Tried changing Target framework to 4.1 result is unable to deploy mscorlib or satellite assemblies so back to 4.2 where I get a link failure: Assembles references can't be resolved Update: Folowed this thread http://forums.netdui...k-v42-sdk-beta/ - I needed the beta SDK which was n't mentioned on another thread for the upgrade. It is a shame that website - does not have all the possible downloads on the downloads page and the hardware page does not have all the hardware - where is the N+ on the hardware page???????? Update: Depending on what you are doing secretlabs.netmf.io will also be useful http://forums.netdui...mfiodll-please/

#17990 Slow death

Posted by erich on 14 September 2011 - 12:31 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi, I am using a N+ to do a variety of tasks (including a threaded process using sockets). Watching the debugger after a while it slows down and grinds to a halt with no exceptions. I have tried using Debug.EnableGCMessages(true)- at start - bytes used 30888 available 20088, when it stops bytes used 31872, available 19104 I am using build 4.1.0.6 N+ regards Eric

#17946 NIST Daytime Protocol Client

Posted by erich on 13 September 2011 - 08:09 PM in Visual Basic Support

I used a Socket solution like the one mentioned here and mentioned by Moskus in another forum. It's a self contained soltion that doesnot use too much memory.

#17882 Newbie - List of supported classes

Posted by erich on 12 September 2011 - 08:13 AM in Visual Studio

I think some input from Chris Walker would be good here. He has pointed out to me before that the NetMF TinyCore class is too big to be implemented on Netduino Plus. I suspect there is other class and functions too. I have struggled with some Date/Time stuff part of (not so) TinyCore, and currently investigating a simple web server implementation which may be a "class too far" via NetMF. Hopefully down the line there will be a more powerful Netduino, N+++ that will deliver a real time clock and full NetMF implmentation without having to completely empty the "piggy bank" in the process

#17647 Deploying Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore

Posted by erich on 06 September 2011 - 07:58 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Chris, Thanks for replies. How do people implement time related functions on the Netduino? Also is there a list of which parts of the MF are implemented? Eric

#17604 How to reset the Netduino Plus?

Posted by erich on 05 September 2011 - 08:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have had this happen frequently, it often seems to clear by a combination of rebooting the board and changing the deployment target within Visual Studio. I have yet to do any extreme reprogramming. The cause of my problems seemed to be either the Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore assembly or "my mother-in-law's age".

#17582 Deploying Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore

Posted by erich on 05 September 2011 - 03:18 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

A follow up question - I have just been trying the Timeservice Class - I have got a not supported error - I assume this means that Netduino Plus does not support it. If this is the case how does one sync to time services ?

#17577 Deploying Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore

Posted by erich on 05 September 2011 - 01:19 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have just been trying to use the Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore Assembly. I can build my project but the deployment just hangs. Remove the assembly and it deploys. Any ideas? A follow-up thought: Are there some MF assemblies that don't work with Netduinos? Thanks Eric

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.