Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Magpie's Content

There have been 156 items by Magpie (Search limited from 20-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#28264 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 28 April 2012 - 02:06 PM in Project Showcase

Sorry Hanzibal

I can't see anything that could be the cause of this problem, that hasn't been mentioned already.

Did you check ALL your ground pins have good contact with ground?

Here is an oscillator that looks similar to yours

My link

The only other thing I can think of is can you move the components on your breadboard to get a similar behaviour? This again would be a lot of effort for little chance of success.

#28318 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 29 April 2012 - 11:09 PM in Project Showcase

Sorry, I must have missed something. You found the problem? Congratulations if it's true.

#28176 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 27 April 2012 - 01:06 AM in Project Showcase

No worries, I guess one other thing you could try is contact Texas support directly. They may be able to spot the problem in 5 minutes. If you can be bothered it would be interesting to see if the chip works better in self powered mode. I was thinking that you would have a local supply anyway because of the power amp.

#28144 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 26 April 2012 - 02:52 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Hanzibal
I looked at the schematic and I was wondering why you're running in Bus powered mode.
Or is it bus powered mode unless the jack is plugged in?

Have you tried it in Self Powered mode?

Have you derived your circuit from fig 32?

Typical Circuit Connection 1 (Example of USB Speaker)
Figure 32 illustrates a typical circuit connection for an internal-descriptor, bus-powered, 500-mA application.

#28012 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 24 April 2012 - 01:31 PM in Project Showcase

I think were back to Shrodingers Cat, Got to go now, I think I am also at the bottom of the ideas barrel.

#28329 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 30 April 2012 - 08:25 AM in Project Showcase

Good work Hanzibal I guess the music must sound even better after all the trouble and effort it's caused.

#28590 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 06 May 2012 - 04:02 AM in Project Showcase

Looks great Hanzibal If you can waste an extra bit of time, you might want to put a nicely done graphic on the silkscreen with a picture of a "Frankencat". Maybe something like a cat with bolts in its neck and a bit of lightning nearby. You think I am joking, but I am not.

#46933 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 09 March 2013 - 01:43 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Hanzibal

On the subject of Oscillators here is a short app note on them. It seemed pretty good. Apart a typo on one of the schematics, where L1 uses a capacitor symbol.

http://www.euroquart.../tech-notes.pdf

I didn't find to much talk on symmetry though.

#46570 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 03 March 2013 - 08:00 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Hanzibal

I did say I wanted a board but money is a bit tighter these days than last year. But I wont say a definite no as my music is gradually moving to hard disc, and your system could be useful. But I have a few unfinished things I need to do, so a new project is not high on the list.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your Crystal problems or did the oscillator just fix everything? I will probably lay out a board with a crystal soon. I normally just get an internal oscillator on the chip.

#30176 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 04 June 2012 - 02:28 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Hanzibal
I saw this video about a few tips for do it yourself production. Might be useful.

I think I might get an oven like his.
Mikes Electric Stuff

#29263 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 16 May 2012 - 01:53 PM in Project Showcase

I guess I just have my head stuck in old world analogue electronics.

#28010 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 24 April 2012 - 01:23 PM in Project Showcase

Did you read to the bottom of the thread? It said the datasheet was right and the tying of the output was wrong. I guess the other thing, is did you try different pcs, usb cables, usb hubs, operating systems?

#28004 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 24 April 2012 - 01:05 PM in Project Showcase

Actually just hold off on the tying the pin suggestion. READ TO THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD FIRST. like I should have.

#26339 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 03 April 2012 - 10:46 PM in Project Showcase

What about standard HDMI inputs? Do have any idea if it is feasible to add them?

#26371 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 04 April 2012 - 10:40 AM in Project Showcase

I know nothing about hdmi, but I think in the near future I am going to learn.

#26319 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 03 April 2012 - 01:25 PM in Project Showcase

Doesn't matter so much music can come out of PC anyway. Digital Radio, mp3s, movies. I probably don't need any more.

#25926 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 24 March 2012 - 11:43 AM in Project Showcase

Is it going to work first go? No mods. Of course it is!

#25882 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 23 March 2012 - 02:25 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Just a word of warning. But hopefully it wont apply to you because you're using eagle. I uploaded some kicad gerbers to BatchPCB and everthing passed DRC but.... The images of the layers they sent me back were all wrong. They seemed to have mixed up my layers and I had copper traces saying R3 instead of silkscreen. I tried numerous times but could not resolve it. So hopefully you checked the images they sent back and they were good, or maybe it was just my images that were wrong. That was the reason I went with Olimex instead.

#26384 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 04 April 2012 - 12:24 PM in Project Showcase

I guess it comes down to the fact that the pc is the most versatile source of sound anyway, it can take in a hdmi input and push it down the usb probably.

#27629 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 19 April 2012 - 08:35 AM in Project Showcase

Oh well Look on the bright side, your still doing better than me. Olimex apparently posted me my boards a month ago, and I still haven't got them. and I've blown up all my chips in the meantime.

#27919 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 23 April 2012 - 03:57 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Hanzibal
There is a lot of stuff here that I am not very experienced in but ignore that and I will try to give you some extra ideas.

It seems the crystal is ok. If you cant actually get to the clock pulse because it's internal to the chip and the crystal looks good, what else can you do but assume it is good.

I am not sure your decoupling circuitry is correct, but it is hard to see from the photos.
both C5 and C7 according to the reference design should have a 1uF ceramic in parrallel to a 10uF electro. the ceramic should be as close as possible to the pins.
all other ceramics should probably be the very close to their pins as well.
Are they ceramic? some have that baby shit brown colour that they use on tantalum caps.

I guess the standard approach is to debugging digital circuits is.
  • Check all grounds. (Voltages)
  • Check all power.
  • check clock (it seems to be entirely internal, so check crystal which you have done.)
  • check all inputs for irregularity, such as indeterminate logic states, unexpected noise or waveforms, and if you can check the expected logic state is there.
after this it will be circuit specific.

Lastly what I often find is a good way to solve problems that are complicated, is to
start with something that is working and keep adding to it until you add the thing that breaks the system,
this works better than starting with something that isn't working and trying to work backwards.
In your case, did you have a breadboard that does work? does it still work? What is different?

Think to yourself this is where I earn my money. (while you look for needles in a haystack.)

The other obvious place for the problem is in software.

By the way how does it stop working, does the usb driver stop talking?<br><br>

#27875 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 22 April 2012 - 08:24 AM in Project Showcase

I hope that's it, but it's still a bit strange how it would work for an hour though.

#27859 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 22 April 2012 - 12:25 AM in Project Showcase

Maybe just power it up when there is a lightning storm. On the good side, it sounds like you haven't damaged any hardware. It's not a software issue is it? Reboot fixes it? probably not but worth asking. Have you got an oscilloscope? With what you said about the oscillator, checking the clock would be a good place to start. You could also check all the pins to look for invalid inputs. Do you have a schematic? And a pcb file I could look at?

#27706 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 20 April 2012 - 11:42 AM in Project Showcase

At least you believe your board exists, mine must be in some sort of quantum state.

#25488 USB Audio Device - FINALLY WORKS!!

Posted by Magpie on 14 March 2012 - 03:49 AM in Project Showcase

Just make it anyway. Olimex can spin up a couple of boards for under 40 Euros. I think it's a good project, and I would like one. I could help a fair bit as I have a bit of a background in Audio.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.