Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

hanzibal's Content

There have been 386 items by hanzibal (Search limited from 09-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#49563 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 19 May 2013 - 02:09 PM in General Discussion

About the jibberish, could it be uuencoded perhaps? Judging from Stefan's absence, it could be big... ...or hopefully tiny - keeping my fingers crossed for a killer mini ;-)

#49580 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 19 May 2013 - 08:52 PM in General Discussion

different image today, don't know about the top line, but 1332AD9 is 20130521 when converted from hex to decimal....

I'm hoping it is the release of the Go Ethernet Module!

The Go! Ethernet module may be long sought after but personally, I doubt SecretLabs would make such a big deal out of that.

#49589 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 08:16 AM in General Discussion

Code cracked!

Very peculiar thing - If you click the link to the video that Chris referred to in his post entitled Time machine, you'll recognize the cryptic code as being part of the URL:

gpUgUL73tGE

Hardly a coincidence so obviously, SecretLabs intended for us to find the video but....the question is why?

This is a real long shot, but could be we're looking at something based on a FPGA/CPLD-like core that lets you program the hardware as to which internal function (PWM, analogue, digital, etc) goes to which pin. A sort of dynamic ASIC if you like.

#49590 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 08:23 AM in General Discussion

Awesome video! - must have taken months to combine all those separate videos into one.

EDIT: Too me, the video would suggest something with an LCD on it.

Secret labs releasing a flux capacitor for hobbyists????  :o  :D

Could be sort of....the mystics around this seem to thicken by the hour...check out this post:

http://forums.netdui...mepage/?p=49589

Code cracked!

#49593 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 08:41 AM in General Discussion

In my opinion, that wouldn't be big enough...I'm thinking something a bit more groundbreaking.

#49594 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 10:25 AM in General Discussion

Oh, and here's the lyrics for "Time is of essence" by Cold Mailman as played in the video but it doesn't seem to contain any clues...

building a time machine
is easy when you are alone
but sad as it may have been
it got you a dinosaur bone

I'm lee ranaldo and i'm thurston moore
I am the stranger that lurks at you door
and I guarantee that wherever we go
I've been there before

touring the riot scene
to see just how far you've been thrown
but as long as your grass is green
it may just turn you into stone

I'm lee ranaldo and I'm thurston moore
I am the stranger that lurks at you door
and I guarantee that wherever we go
I've been there before

play
hide and seek
kill the freak
with a tear on your cheek
and a smile on your face
fall from grace
into place
spending your days
longing to play...

To me, the video would also suggest something with an LCD on it. Maybe built in LCD support?

#49599 Mayhew Labs MuxShield and TI 74HC4067

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 01:59 PM in Project Showcase

How did it go, does it work after removing the "const" statement?

can you send me an example to use the digital input?

I'm obviously not Eric, but early in this post he gave an example with three multiplexed digital outputs:

public static void Main() {	MuxShield shield = new MuxShield(MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalOutput, MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalOutput, MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalOutput);		//Set the pins high so that as we move through the pins, LEDs will light up	shield.MUX0.WriteBit(true);	shield.MUX1.WriteBit(true);	shield.MUX2.WriteBit(true);	while (true) 	{		for (byte x = 0; x <= 15; x+=2) 		{			//itterate over the pins			shield.CurrentPin = (Ic74HC4067.Pins)x;						//blink the onboard led			shield.D13LED.Write(!shield.D13LED.Read());			Debug.Print(shield.ToString());			Thread.Sleep(100);		}	}}

If you need digital input(s), simply modify the three parameters in the call to the constructor according to your needs. You would then use the readBit method to read the pin after having set CurrentPin according to which of the multiplexed inputs you wish to read.

For example, this should give you one multiplexed input and two outputs.

// digital in, out, outMuxShield shield = new MuxShield(MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalInput, MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalOutput, MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalOutput);

#49603 Mayhew Labs MuxShield and TI 74HC4067

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 05:54 PM in Project Showcase

No, it should only output a logic high on the currently selected pin but if you cycle through all pins writing a high level to one pin after another, they will all be high eventually since outputs are latched. The latch makes the output "remember" its level after you have selected another pin.

You can think of a multiplexer like one of those rotating platforms that they used to have in front of train garages in the old days. Pins s0...s3 form a 4 bit number 0...15 that is used to select which of the 16 tracks to use:
http://www.yeeeeee.c...eneralele-1.jpg

I'll have a closer look later but the error could be pull-down mode is not supported on the input pin. Certain combinations are not allowed but I can never remember which. I'll get back shortly.

#49608 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 08:17 PM in General Discussion

I really think its something much bigger than an add-on of any kind. I also don't believe its an NP2 with more muscle. I'm thinking of something groundbreaking using some cool new rocket science tech.

#49611 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 09:38 PM in General Discussion

Here's my daydream for a development platform

Think of how  programmable logic like FPGA and CPLD devices work and how they let you implement pretty much any hardware in a single device, basically an ASIC. Imagine different hardware modules available from a palette of  ready made drop-in software modules through some easy to use (semi-)graphical IDE. Also imagine using C# (or VB.NET) as the glue between the modules to orchestrate them - instead of VHDL (!!)

A development platform like that would virtually let you implement your whole breadboard in a single device!

There would be much less need for external parts like shift registers, 74LSxxx (and, or, xor, etc), transistors, IO-expanders, LCD backpacks or even motor drivers and audio devices...well almost anyway, you'd still have to add a LED or a switch here and there  :lol: 

Open Source Hardware would get a truly profound meaning. We could be writing and sharing OSH modules in an on-line in-project repository, simply download what you need and drop it into your project. We'd be talking breadboard virtualization and the ability to jump between any old breadboarded project simply by uploading a piece of firmware to the device. To me, this too would be a time machine!

Would you like a platform like that or is it just me?   :)

#49614 Mayhew Labs MuxShield and TI 74HC4067

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 10:43 PM in Project Showcase

Hmm...after removing the "const" statements, I basically get 3 errors when trying to compile as an NP2 project.

These two errors:

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Error 1 The best overloaded method match for 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.AnalogInput.AnalogInput(Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.AnalogChannel)'[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Error 2 Argument 1: cannot convert from 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.Pin' to 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.AnalogChannel'[/font]

...refers to this code
public Ic74HC4067(Cpu.Pin s0, Cpu.Pin s1, Cpu.Pin s2, Cpu.Pin s3, Cpu.Pin common, Cpu.Pin enable, bool analog) :    this(new OutputPort(s0, false), new OutputPort(s1, false), new OutputPort(s2, false), new OutputPort(s3, false)){    if (enable != Cpu.Pin.GPIO_NONE)        _enable = new OutputPort(enable, true);    if (common != Cpu.Pin.GPIO_NONE)    {        if (analog)            _analogRead = new AnalogInput(common);        else        {            _commonWrite = new OutputPort(common, false);            _commonRead = _commonWrite;        }    }}

While this one:

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Error 3 Cannot implicitly convert type 'double' to 'int'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)[/font]

...refers to this code:

public int ReadValue(){    if (_analogRead == null)          throw new InvalidOperationException("CommonIO pin is not specified or not in analog mode.");    return _analogRead.Read();}

Michel, are you seeing these too?

#49615 How use MuxShield.MuxMode.DigitalInput

Posted by hanzibal on 20 May 2013 - 11:05 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Please refrain from duplicate posts, you already have this one going:

http://forums.netdui...067/#entry49614

#49626 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 02:28 AM in General Discussion

Sort of, I was thinking of something like that but more in a general sense than a specific device or vendor. I recently ordered a Cypress PSoC 4 demo board and a PSoC 1 dev kit to explore that magic tech:
http://www.cypress.c...9&source=header

#49634 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 07:25 AM in General Discussion

cutlass, you obviously know tons about this stuff and I'd love to discuss it further.

I find this tech very exciting and I have to look into the info you supplied.

#49636 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 08:29 AM in General Discussion

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;]@cutlass: Given the short time in which SL went from Atmel to ST, I wouldn't rule out a whole new architecture.[/color]

Don't forget, working passionately for fame and glory is far more efficient than just working for money. With the help of the many talented guys here on the forum, development time can be drastically shortened - like as if you had a time machine   ;)

it is simple really, I think this will be a multi core or multi processor board

time machine to the future  :)

Sounds plausible!

#49638 Serial to SD -- Need Fast Writing

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 09:11 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Managing FAT32 adds a lot of overhead. You could try using the SD card in raw mode without a file system. 

Of course, you can't use the regular NETMF functions for this, instead you have to treat the SD card like the SPI slave device that it is. You'd also have to use a special PC app to extract the data from the SD.

I know Nwazet has a data acquisition module called DAQ and I think they use their own FAT32 implementation for that. Perhaps you could look into the underlaying implementation of that and find some code for doing raw SD card writing:

http://nwazet.com/co...Q/10-FileSystem

If not, there ought to be some Arduino code for this that you could port.

#49639 New Netduino on its way? (cryptic homepage)

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 10:24 AM in General Discussion

UTC+0 for your convenience:

http://www.worldtime...ime_in_UTC.aspx

#49644 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 11:56 AM in General Discussion

No, its 3 minutes  :P

#49646 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 11:59 AM in General Discussion

I actually edited the post on 1:57 but that doesn't show...I initally wrote 4 minutes, but you beat me to that  :D

#49648 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:01 PM in General Discussion

Yes, where is it?

#49653 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:06 PM in General Discussion

Looks sweet, don't know what it can do but still only a question of how much I should place!

#49655 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:09 PM in General Discussion

I must say, I never expect a smartwatch - I was so wrong, so very wrong!

I didn't. Backed. :-)

How much?

#49659 My daydream - FPGA/ARM platform

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:17 PM in General Discussion

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]@cutlass: Now that SL released their smartwatch, shall we join in realizing my daydream? [/color] :rolleyes: 

I've actually been working on a similar thing on and off for some time now. It has a lot of potential but the road is still long.

#49662 Time Machine

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 12:22 PM in General Discussion

I should expect so and hopefully even runs NETMF !

...and it really was a time machine!

#49677 Serial to SD -- Need Fast Writing

Posted by hanzibal on 21 May 2013 - 01:39 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

.... though I don't know how netmf will feel about it, or even if the spi the sd is on will be reachable....

Oops, didn't think of that, might be a problem.

With the mini I always use a simple SD card holder breakout on the regular SPI port.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.