nhale's Content - Netduino Forums - Page 2

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

nhale's Content

There have been 29 items by nhale (Search limited from 20-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#52492 Netduino 2 Firmware v4.3.0 (beta 1)

Posted by nhale on 01 September 2013 - 12:31 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Hi,

Is there any plan to release a new firmware soon, Beta started more than 1/2 year ago...

My Netduino 2 and Netduino 2 Plus are not used at all, as I face multiple issues regarding debugging and deployment ;-(

I'm happy that there are still N1(+) boards available as the 2 series does not work for me.

#50057 New Project with GPS and cellular for a newbye user

Posted by nhale on 28 May 2013 - 02:39 PM in General Discussion

Hi,

the Netduino Plus should work for you. The advantage compared to the non-plus is that you also have and SD-card slot integrated, which saves ports. The Netduino 2 (Plus) did not work for me, even if it has more serial ports - but I'm not able to debug or run without "bluescreens" (LED's)

There is a very small/cheap and reliable GPS module which also supports 10Hz logging and a possibility to connect an external antenna if required. It's called "Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates - Version 3"

The cellular module (GPRS) I use is the Seeedstudio GPRS shield v2.0 It will take some time until you get it stable, as the SIM900 is a little bit strange to control, but it's possible ;-)

I think with these information you should be able to get started - everything else you have to invest time to find out what fit's to your needs....If you never worked with the Netduino before, you should maybe get started with some LED stuff etc. then you can go on with the GPS stuff and finally the GPRS - which is the biggest nightmare ;-)

#50056 Community Netduino case ?!

Posted by nhale on 28 May 2013 - 02:28 PM in General Discussion

Regarding the use case, this has to be discussed. Anyway I did not found any case which is big enough for 2 shields...

If you have ever used the Speakon connectors from Neutrik you know how reliable they are. The one I used now is the power connector from Neutrik called Powercon. This one is much more robust and once fixed you will not be able to remove it without unlocking. As my box is placed in race cars which drive on bumpy racetracks (Caroussell, Nürburgring) you need something which does not disconnect accidentically. The problem with the RJ45 is, that the latch/nose and the connector breaks quite fast, if mechanics don't take care. The Powercon has 3 connectors and the Speakon is available with 2 and 4.

For the front/back plate I already thought about Laser cutting them. There is a german company providing a software for that. http://www.schaeffer....php?id=183&L=1

The idea was that there is maybe a demand for more variable cases, which already provide mounting holes at the right positions and just work without any adaptations.

#50052 Community Netduino case ?!

Posted by nhale on 28 May 2013 - 10:32 AM in General Discussion

Hi,

I know there are some topics about the "case" topic, but my intention is a little bit different.
Let me explain.

I bought a case from an electronics supplier, which is not specifically made for a netduino or arduino. For my prototype it works fine, but now I'm searching for a case which fit's to some of my needs.
1.) What I found was the e.g. the duinoCase-NP which looks nice, but is too small for my needs. And btw. is not available in Germany ;-(
2.) Others I found are made of thin plastic, which might break when used in rough/harsh environments.

3.) A self-made case would be the ideal way, but might be very costly for just 2-3 units. On the other hand I'm not good at CAD or whatever the manufacturer requires.

As this is a community, isn't there a way that we build an extendable case which can be used for several use-case - together?

As several cases only work for the Netduino itself or maximum 1 shield, most cases don't work if you are using 2 or more shields. On the other hand in most cases they are so small, that even adding some additional wires and plugs is very hard or impossible.

------ IDEA -----

[*]Build a case which can be stacked, like the shields do. Take a look at this one from thingiverse. That's somehow the groundplate, which contains the Netduino and how it could look like.
    [*]Additionally there could be some extension units, like 19" cases, in different heights which can be mounted on top (1 height for 1 shield, 2 heights for two shields etc.)
    [*]And then there is another cover on top. That's it...
    [*]To make it usable for different scenarios, some space on the side and back to be able to add additional stuff inside (cables, plugs)
    [*]If it's made of plastic, everybody can drill an additional hole.
    [/list]

As an example what I mean with space for additional plugs and wires, I attached the current version of my project. There you see the height of 2 shields and that there is little space left.

I just need some connectors which are reliable when it comes to vibrations and movement. Additionally there are two more connectors planned and 3 LED's.

What do you think, anyone good at CAD or knows someone who can built it using injection molding or similar...

Additional ideas are also welcome. Maybe describe what are your special needs and how do you think they could be solved generically?

Maybe also SecretLabs could produce and sell it ;-)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0221.JPG
    • IMG_0217.JPG

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.