Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

wendo's Content

There have been 34 items by wendo (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#59980 Safe code to convert byte[4] to float

Posted by wendo on 03 September 2014 - 09:22 PM in General Discussion

Hi Everyone

Let me give you some background. I'm building a wireless weather station using a variety of sensors, an adruino mini and an nRF24L01+ radio. All this works properly and fine. I've been prototyping with the receiver also running an arduino just for simplicity however the end goal was always to have my Netduino 2 Plus acting as the receiver due to the easy network integration.

Last night I spent a lot of time getting the radios talking and that is now working however I'm getting a byte packed array from the arduino (it uses the RF24 library) that contains floating point numbers. Endian issues aside I can't now get that byte packed array back to the floating point numbers I sent using any safe code as far as I can tell.

There are some posts scattered around using unsafe code to do this with varying levels of success but I need this to a) not eat my netduino, and B) be rock solid.

Without a bitconverter class available there is no "easy" way to do this, but I'd settle for hard at this point as long as the code was safe. I'm struggling to believe something seemingly as simple as this hasn't been solved in a more complete way but if I can't do this then it's back to my arduino receiver and buying an ethernet shield to get the job done.

This isn't the first time I've run into difficulties converting data types and it's probably the primary reason I have been spending less time with my netduino hardware, but that there seems to be no way to go from a byte array to a float just beggars belief.

Am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks

#59033 Can anyone recommend a rock-solid LCD display?

Posted by wendo on 06 July 2014 - 04:44 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Typically when I see that behavior on an LCD my first impression is I'm sending it data too fast. In saying that, most of my experience with LCD's has been either with serial LCD's or SPI/I2C ones as I hate having to dedicate heaps of pins to drive a screen

#59032 Control LCD Display

Posted by wendo on 06 July 2014 - 04:42 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I use 2012, although it should work in any version really (I'm surprised 2013 wouldn't open the sln honestly).

Youneed to make sure you have the NETMF Toolbox assembles installed and include Toolbox.NETMF.Core and Toolbox.NETMF.Hardware.Core as references

#59013 Control LCD Display

Posted by wendo on 04 July 2014 - 11:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've written a basic driver for this here

It's basically a direct port of the supplied driver for the arduino

#58610 Disk Drive Storage Project

Posted by wendo on 06 June 2014 - 11:13 PM in General Discussion

I'm exceedingly doubtful you could do this with a netduino at any sort of decent speed.

Initially you need to get another USB port from somewhere at minimum, but likely 2 as they need to be host ports. Either these would have dedicated controllers of their own, which you interface with over SPI or I2C or something, or you'd need to bit-bash them, the second likely isn't possible at all due to timing issues, the first would severely limit your speed.

Secondly you don't have the sort of memory available for to do any sort of decent read caching. Assuming you can pull that off, you then need to be able to decode the partition table and file system, read the data from it and and write the data to the new file system at ~30MB/sec whicih is all you can get from USB2 anyway. I don't know of any way you could push that sort of speed through a netduino alas. 

You dismiss the software as easy, but being able to read and write to NTFS partitions and file systems is no small feat for something on this scale.

For something like that you'd probably want to look at something like an FPGA board, but even that would be pretty painful as while you'd get the hardware side done fairly easily at decent speed, you still need the whole filesystem and partition layer to be able to write to the second drive.

#58609 Need help with I2C LCD display

Posted by wendo on 06 June 2014 - 10:27 PM in General Discussion

I'm not sure if this will help, but it may give you another option to try. Iv'e written a driver for the Grove RGB I2C LCD dislpay. The code is pretty generic and will likely work with minor modifications to for your I2C controller. You could remove all the RGB backlight code pretty easily and then just add the right codes to perform all the functions.

The driver is here

https://github.com/s...veRGBLCD/lcd.cs

The actual repo has an example program as well but it's pretty straightforward

#58514 Serial TTL LCD

Posted by wendo on 02 June 2014 - 03:47 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

There is a driver for the now discontinued Seeedstudio Grove Serial LCD here that I wrote that may work as a starting point. It doesn't have an RGB backlight like the one you have and will probably need all it's commands changed, but it'll give you framework to start with

#58447 Browser problem: Firefox spell checker not working in edit box

Posted by wendo on 28 May 2014 - 07:57 AM in General Discussion

What _do_ you get when you right click in the edit box? Websites can replace the right click menu, but working around that is pretty simple with add-ons, but before you go down that road you'd want to confirm that's whats going on

#58415 GPRS using AT cmd fail with +CEER: Regular deactivation

Posted by wendo on 27 May 2014 - 08:18 AM in General Discussion

Every modem has a slightly different AT command set for this sort of thing, what chipset does your GPRS modem have?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.