Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

BigE's Content

There have been 4 items by BigE (Search limited from 18-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#5513 Netduino as an extension to a WinForms app?

Posted by BigE on 30 November 2010 - 03:25 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

So it sounds possible but not very practical for someone who isn't overly savvy with logic circuits? Maybe I should just get the Netduino Plus? I still can't find where to purchase them. Are there none for sale?

#5376 Netduino as an extension to a WinForms app?

Posted by BigE on 27 November 2010 - 01:29 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks for your responses. Phil: That is similar to what I am trying to do, but mine is far simpler! I want to interface with my mechanical padlock to unlock a door via my phone. In order to interface with the deadbolt, I need to be able to close the circuits to the right pins of the numeric keypad in the right order. Perhaps I don't even need a Netduino? This might be a dumb question, but can I simply use different pin combinations of a PC's RS-232 port (and some programming with .NET's System.IO.Ports) to close 6 independent circuits on command? (5 numeric keypad buttons, and a 6th "lock" button) Or would I need some hardware with more logic (i.e. the Netduino) and perhaps Chris' approach with the serial connectivity? -E

#5354 Netduino as an extension to a WinForms app?

Posted by BigE on 26 November 2010 - 09:32 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Awesome! So I could theoretically have an application running on the server handling incoming commands, and send responses over LAN via TCP/IP to the Netduino Plus? That would be great! I would definitely be intereseted in the Plus, but are there any left? I found the tech specs page but don't see anywhere to buy them... Also, I was unaware of the mini RS-232 ports (available in both models). Could I communicate to the Netduino/Netduino Plus via a serial port (or perhaps even a USB-to-RS232 converter cable, if the server doesn't have a serial port)? Thanks, and please forgive any hardware ignorance I might shown :blink:

#5315 Netduino as an extension to a WinForms app?

Posted by BigE on 26 November 2010 - 05:53 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi all,
I am new to the Netduino/hardware world but not to .NET so I am very excited about this product! I would like to buy one, but wanted to know more about how it works first. I have a very simple question regarding the design/purpose of the Netduino and I suppose the .NET Micro Framework in general:

Obviously the intended usage of a Netduino is to deploy your .NET app onto the device, letting it run standalone; however, can the Netduino be used as a "plug-and-play" device (similar to Phidgets) where a WinForms application can have direct control/access to it? My intent is to send digital outputs to control physical objects remotely. For example, write an app that can run on a server that I can access via my phone or another Internet-enabled device to control the Netduino connected to it.

If the Netduino is only designed for deploy-only, standalone usage, that's still a pretty cool device for $35! :P I'll probably be getting one regardless, but would just like to know more about how it can be used.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.