Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Aaron Douglas's Content

There have been 2 items by Aaron Douglas (Search limited from 05-July 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#25074 Getting started with RS232

Posted by Aaron Douglas on 04 March 2012 - 06:27 PM in General Discussion

Paul, Thanks for the detailed response. I think I have enough to at least get started now. Incidentally, can anyone recommend a place to buy the MAX3232? It's out of stock on sparkfun, and if you read the comments, it seems what they're selling isn't actually the MAX3232. Aaron

#25065 Getting started with RS232

Posted by Aaron Douglas on 04 March 2012 - 04:01 PM in General Discussion

Hey all,

I just recently purchased the Netduino Plus. While I'm not new to C# or programming in general, working with electronics is a completely new frontier for me, and I'll be honest, I don't know anything about them.

Now, in my day to day work life, I do a lot of work with GPS's (particularly Garmin OEM GPS's, so I figured this might be a good place to start. Right now I'm trying to interface an old Garmin eTrex Legend [www.garmin.com] (RS232 connection info on page 58) that I happened to have lying around so that I can read the NMEA output through the RS232 connection. Now, from what I've read so far, being RS232, it's probably running at +/- 12v, which I would obviously not want to plug into the netduino.

As much as I've gathered so far, I have to run this through something such as the Max232 [www.sparkfun.com] to convert it to TTL. Is this about right? From what I've seen, there are prebuilt converters you can buy, but I'd rather put it together myself so that I can get a better idea of what's going on. Does this sound about right?

On that line, if anyone can point me to any links about how to wire something like this up, I'd greatly appeciate it.

Thanks for any help.

Aaron

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.