Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Curious425's Content

There have been 1 items by Curious425 (Search limited from 05-July 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#21924 Driving an brushless RC motor with a NetDuino

Posted by Curious425 on 21 December 2011 - 12:40 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi, I want to prototype a concentric rotor craft that is a cross between a hovercraft and a helicopter (it will fly out of ground affect though).

So far my research leads me to expect using one to two 400 class electric RC motors.
All the netduino motor shields I've seen are only in the 5-10 amp range, so I think I'll need to also pickup a Electric Speed Controller (ESC). The main motor will be run as a pure throttle control so .NetMF timing will be fine here, but I'm consurned about the other servos.

I want to quickly prototype a two chanel directed airflow system for front/back and left/right sides to see if that is enough, or if I need to desing a more complex variable blade pitch system that varies the picth of the blade at different point in the rotation like a traditional helicopter rotor. I've read that the netduino doesn't have the timing resolution for things like quadricoptors. Let's assume that is true. Would the netdiuno have the timing resolution to control a standard RC helicopter? I'm assuming my design would be slightly more stable and have lower timing requirements than a standard helicopter.

Will the PWM pins have the best resolution/responce times. e.g. I'd be better off driving the RC ESC with a digital pin and software PWM, and hooking up the navigational servo to hardware clocked PWM pins? or the other way around?

Thanks in advance,

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.