Sparkfun PIR motion sensor - Page 2 - Project Showcase - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Sparkfun PIR motion sensor

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

After hours of pulling my hair (luckily I have tons of it) can't get the SEN-08630 to work. When measuring with Multi-Meter, there is only 0.1V and no fluctuation at all. I am currently using a 10K Ohms Pull-up resistor. Do you think I am using the wrong Pull-up Resistor, should I use a 47 instead?

#22 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

10k is correct. Is it wired as shown?

Posted Image

Can you post your code? Whatever pin you are using should show as High all the time until motion is detected and it goes low. It's pretty darn simple. I just built 3 of these for animating Halloween props.

Also remember it takes 1-2 minutes of no motion for the sensor to level itself out. Then it should work after that.

#23 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:41 AM

After hours of pulling my hair (luckily I have tons of it) can't get the SEN-08630 to work. When measuring with Multi-Meter, there is only 0.1V and no fluctuation at all. I am currently using a 10K Ohms Pull-up resistor. Do you think I am using the wrong Pull-up Resistor, should I use a 47 instead?

Giuliano,

This shouldn't be this hard to do. I didn't find any pictures of you setup and unfortunately I don't have one of the PIR sensors, but I can wire it with a switch maybe tommorrow.

A couple of things:
1. I would stick with the 10k ohm resistor, in a previous post you said that you were considering trying a 47 ohm (hope you meant 47k ohm). This resistor limits the current through the sensors and restore a positive voltage (logic level 1) on the input pin.

2. I would use a digital IO for input, they are 5vdc tolerant, plus less coding to make it work, ie. either true or false.

3. On the Sparkfun datasheet it says that the input voltage for the sensor is 12vdc. The Bildr article shows it using 5vdc. But without ordering a sensor I can't try it. If it does need 12vdc then there are several ways of connecting it to the Netduino (do not apply 12vdc to the Netduino).

4. Make sure that you do not expose the sensor directly towards the sun if using outdoors, PIRs don't like that much IR radiation.

Chuck

#24 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

10k is correct. Is it wired as shown?

Posted Image

Can you post your code? Whatever pin you are using should show as High all the time until motion is detected and it goes low. It's pretty darn simple. I just built 3 of these for animating Halloween props.

Also remember it takes 1-2 minutes of no motion for the sensor to level itself out. Then it should work after that.

I can get other things to work, like temperature sensors, humidity sensors, ultrasound sensors, etc. but this one is driving me crazy.

Yeap, the wiring is ok.

Although I didn't wait the 1-2 minutes with no motion at all to check. I am going to go ahead and change the resistor to another 10K just in case and re-test. I'll post my findings.
Not at home right now but I'll post my code as well.

Thank you very much.

#25 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

Giuliano,

This shouldn't be this hard to do. I didn't find any pictures of you setup and unfortunately I don't have one of the PIR sensors, but I can wire it with a switch maybe tommorrow.

A couple of things:
1. I would stick with the 10k ohm resistor, in a previous post you said that you were considering trying a 47 ohm (hope you meant 47k ohm). This resistor limits the current through the sensors and restore a positive voltage (logic level 1) on the input pin.

2. I would use a digital IO for input, they are 5vdc tolerant, plus less coding to make it work, ie. either true or false.

3. On the Sparkfun datasheet it says that the input voltage for the sensor is 12vdc. The Bildr article shows it using 5vdc. But without ordering a sensor I can't try it. If it does need 12vdc then there are several ways of connecting it to the Netduino (do not apply 12vdc to the Netduino).

4. Make sure that you do not expose the sensor directly towards the sun if using outdoors, PIRs don't like that much IR radiation.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

No, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my wiring, also Yes, I was talking about a 47K but didn't get a chance to try it and will stick to the 10K. I am using a digital IO for input. I will try with 12V as suggested and see but first I will try Dave's suggestion to wait at least 1-2 minutes before reading any values and see.

Thank you so much for your input.

#26 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hi Chuck,

No, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my wiring, also Yes, I was talking about a 47K but didn't get a chance to try it and will stick to the 10K. I am using a digital IO for input. I will try with 12V as suggested and see but first I will try Dave's suggestion to wait at least 1-2 minutes before reading any values and see.

Thank you so much for your input.

Use a voltmeter before connecting to the DIO just to make sure that we don't send to much voltage to it.

Chuck

#27 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

Use a voltmeter before connecting to the DIO just to make sure that we don't send to much voltage to it.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I tried the PIR motion sensor with 12V using the 10K resistor and it doesn't work as supposed to. I always reads the same voltage between positve and ground and also the same voltage between positive and signal. So I guess I got another bad sensor. I will go ahead an order the third one sometime soon, for now I will go with an ultrasound sensor instead.

#28 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi Chuck, I tried the PIR motion sensor with 12V using the 10K resistor and it doesn't work as supposed to. I always reads the same voltage between positve and ground and also the same voltage between positive and signal. So I guess I got another bad sensor. I will go ahead an order the third one sometime soon, for now I will go with an ultrasound sensor instead.

What you have to remember with the Sparkfun PIR is that it is an Open Collector or Open Drain which requires a pullup resistor which you use. The logic of this sensor is LOW trigger. When motion is triggered, then sensor goes low, so there will always be voltage there until after 2 minutes of sensor calibration. If no motion is detected then pin remains high. If motion is detected then the pin goes low.

Save yourself some headaches and purchase the PIR Sensor (Rev A) or PIR Sensor (Rev B) from Parallax.com. PIR REV A is about $5.00 and the PIR REV B is $11.00 and has a longer range. These sensors needs no pullups and the logic is the way it should be (HIGH for trigger). I have several of these running on Halloween props and they work absolutely perfect. I use some through Microcontrollers like the Netduino and Basic Stamp as well as using a simple 5v Relay and a 2N2222 transistor for a simple mechanical trigger.

These have 3 pin headers on them but no cable so you'll need to get a cable if remotely connected. Just search for "3-pin Power" on Parallax site for various configurations.

#29 zee

zee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hi,

Need help here!

What's the problem here?  :wacko:  :unsure:

Connected to 10K Ohm & PullUp.. But it keep prompts me this error.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.