Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Raspberry Pi and Netduino

ARM platform Mono

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

Hello!

What finally happened regarding Mono supporting the Netduino especially when the Mono examples are on a Raspberry Pi model B?

I am asking because I am exploring an interesting premise. Over on the Arduino side of things a group of like mind individuals have implemented making use of the Raspberry Pi model B as an HDMI shield for the thing. For my efforts and especially since both devices run at the same logic levels that is 3.3v I figured I go down this path instead of making use of level changers for connecting an Arduino (any) to the Pi. 

Edited by Dr Who, 21 July 2014 - 12:40 AM.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]What finally happened regarding Mono supporting the Netduino especially when the Mono examples are on a Raspberry Pi model B?[/font]

Are you asking if you can program the Netduino using Mono on a Raspberry Pi or are you asking if you can communicate with a Mono application which is running on the Raspberry Pi?

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

Are you asking if you can program the Netduino using Mono on a Raspberry Pi or are you asking if you can communicate with a Mono application which is running on the Raspberry Pi?

Regards,

Mark

Hello!

Close. You're almost there. One of them is indeed to have the Netduino talk to the Raspberry Pi who has Mono available. This is what made me think of the Netduino, instead of the Arduino shown there, http://codeandlife.c...no-hdmi-shield/ His idea almost makes sense. Indeed it'll, ah, float, but since both operate at 3.3v it would delete the need for the level translation gizmo he chose. 

The only problem would figuring how in the name of Space we'd be able to translate the sketch he used for that thing to the Pi, from its C++ origins over to the C# stuff that the Netduino speaks. That as I do not believe we've reached the point that the runtimes for C++ are available inside the dot Net MF areas, currently they are only available for C# and VB.

On the Pi there would be both the Mono stuff and the stuff that he chose which is in Python and it runs native without those runtimes examples. My only problem is that the device is wearing the hard-float kit, rather then the soft-float kit. 

Search back through the entire archives for the board, discussion surfaced between Stefan and one other (presumed) fellow concerning connecting the two, it also produced a map of the Pi regarding where the serial ports, (not its USB based ones), and the author of that one has the two communicating via the GPIO points on both, via that level translation widget. So I wanted to, ah, emulate the red queen here, and apply the Netduino family who I understand better to communicate with the Pi, who I am beginning to also understand.

It happens regarding the Arduino I am sadly understanding less and less with each newer design coming out. 

What there do you not understand, and what else would you like to know?

Doctor Who

#4 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'd just go for communicating over serial ports as it's easy enough to do.  You'd have to write your own driver on the Netduino but I can't see that being too difficult.

Regards,

Mark

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

#5 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'd just go for communicating over serial ports as it's easy enough to do.  You'd have to write your own driver on the Netduino but I can't see that being too difficult.

Regards,

Mark

Hello!

Did you by chance read the article that I reference? That fellow made use of the serial port on the Arduino (any) and the one on Pi, indeed. However where is adequate documentation for the Netduino serial port on the GPIO side of the thing?

Doctor Who

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

This topic talks about connecting two Netduino's but the principles are there especially if the Pi is running Mono: http://forums.netdui...-on-netduino-2/ Regards, Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.