Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

USB 3.3V

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Manuel Silva

Manuel Silva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

I order a netduino mini and I didn't realize that its interface with the PC is a USB TTL 3.3 V. Can you please let me know were I can find a converter from USB 5V normal USB port to the 3.3V level. Thanks, Manuel

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hi Manuel, I'd recommend this cable: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9717 Also, we generally recommend that you use the RS232 pins for programming the Netduino Mini...unless you need them for something else. For that, you can plug a standard RS232 cable's wires directly into the Netduino Mini's pins (using a Keyspan USB-RS232 adapter and a cut-off RS232 cable for instance). Chris

#3 Manuel Silva

Manuel Silva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Chris, thanks for the inputs. Manuel

#4 Manuel Silva

Manuel Silva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Chris, I looked only now, into the netduino mini schematic and I notice that only one UART/RS232 will be available if I use one for programing and debug. For the project I have in mind (a hub to install in a RC airplane) I would need one UART and one RS232. Is it possible to use a USB driver/converter to 3.3V and connect it to DDM and DDP and use it like NetDuino?. Thanks, Manuel

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

I looked only now, into the netduino mini schematic and I notice that only one UART/RS232 will be available if I use one for programing and debug. For the project I have in mind (a hub to install in a RC airplane) I would need one UART and one RS232. Is it possible to use a USB driver/converter to 3.3V and connect it to DDM and DDP and use it like NetDuino?.

Hi Manuel,

For that, I'd recommend using a Netduino with an RS232 shield for debugging...and then you can flash your final application onto the Netduino Mini.

You can use both ports on the Netduino Mini but that will shut off the debugging capability. If you do use both ports, simply drive the "DTR" pin high on the Netduino Mini during power-up to kick it into bootloader mode when you want to erase the current app.

Chris

#6 Manuel Silva

Manuel Silva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Chris, Thanks again for your information. Regards, Manuel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.