Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Debate Timer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

I just saw this project linked from Twitter and thought it was pretty cool. And it appears to be from our very own community member Snipehunter. It's an early concept for a "debate timer." Very cool.

Blog Post: I've gone a little strange, these days...

My favorite part:
"It's really not much, but consider that it was made out of a Netduino, breadboard, some LEDs, a few resistors, a pushbutton, some wires and some C# code. In other words, I made that! In a couple of hours of tinkering. I'm a game designer, not an engineer, but this whole open source prototyping movement, and the Netduino specifically have made it easy for someone like me to experiment with this stuff.

"Suddenly, when I see something that behaves as if it's stupid; like my sprinkler controller, I start to think, 'Hmm, what if I made it smarter?' and I start to consider things like wiring my lawn into the weather bureau's reports via the Netduino and some sensors, so that it only ever gets water when it actually needs it. I can do that now! That's not even a fantasy; it's a bullet point on my to-do list now, thanks to the Netduino."

Keep up the great work, Snipehunter... And please, feel free to post here in the community forums. If you'd like to create a new post for your project, I can delete this one...

Chris

#2 Snipehunter

Snipehunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

heh! Thanks! That was a fun burn of my evening. I'm really impressed by the netduino and what it can do. It's fast becoming an obsession, no question about it. My friend's little daughter had her 7th birthday this weekend and I woke this morning thinking about how cool it would be to swipe her dollhouse for a weekend, wire it up with LEDs, light sensors and a speaker or two, then slave them to a netduino (see, now I'm buying more than one!) that could do things like "haunt the house" or simulate a thunderstorm by flickering lights, playing sounds, etc. The worst part of it all: It's not like I've asked that child if she wants her dollhouse haunted! ;)

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

My friend's little daughter had her 7th birthday this weekend and I woke this morning thinking about how cool it would be to swipe her dollhouse for a weekend, wire it up with LEDs, light sensors and a speaker or two, then slave them to a netduino (see, now I'm buying more than one!) that could do things like "haunt the house" or simulate a thunderstorm by flickering lights, playing sounds, etc.

The worst part of it all: It's not like I've asked that child if she wants her dollhouse haunted! ;)

Hillarious. And totally awesome.

#4 kingpin2k

kingpin2k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

I'm pretty sure she does. What child doesn't want a haunted doll house?
Homer: [Meeting Aliens] Please don't eat me! I have a wife and kids. Eat them!

#5 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

It's a very funny project!!! I think that it would be awesome for Halloween! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.