Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

OT: Why no Long Jumper Wires?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckles

Chuckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

I have seen "premium jumper wires" on several online stores, none seem to e longer than 300cm / 12in. Why is that? Power loss? Potential for signal interference? Thanks.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hi Chuckles, Wires lose voltage over distance and unshielded wires can pick up quite a bit of noise. That's not to say that longer wires won't work for your application...but generally shorter is better. If you go to Radio shack and buy a spool of solid-core wire (or pick up some online) you can cut them to your desired length with a pair of wire strippers (or even scissors, if you're careful). Chris

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

My guess is that the "premium" jumper wires will use a stranded wire to make them nice and flexible, and will have crimped tips with insulation at the ends for pushing into sockets.

#4 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Long wires are basically antennae for mains frequency noise. Also, they're great inductive reactance devices and breadboarding makes every connection good candidates for memristors, which screw up the inductive properties of your circuit. That's just the inherent problem with breadboarding. Whenever possible, use short wires and small circuits.

#5 Chuckles

Chuckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

When I need something "long" (eg 48 inches), would it be ok to use a piece of shielded Ethernet cable, or would that add additional complexity to the job of just making a sound connection? Thanks.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Chuckles, Shielding is definitely better than no-shielding for longer runs. You won't get the noise-cancellation of the twisted pair wiring without differential signals, but shielded wire will give you some noise insulation. BTW noise is particularly a concern at higher speeds. At lower speeds, noise on longer cables can be less of a concern. Chris

#7 slomobile

slomobile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Preterminated male and/or female jumper wires in 3, 6, 12, 24, 36, and 60 inch lengths are available from pololu.com.  I've used the 60" length for digital i/o and TTL serial without issue. Analog showed a slight but manageable voltage drop. i2c was hit and miss, but marginally ok so long as the wires didn't move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.