Problem communicating with mini via uart - Netduino Mini - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Problem communicating with mini via uart

Best Answer Andrew Johnson, 31 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

This looks to be solved now. I forgot to tie the GND (black) on the UART cable to the ground of the mini's power supply. As soon as I did that I could ping it and flash the firmware.

Andy

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with what may be a beginners problem...

I have a Netduino Mini on a breadboard. I can ping it and deploy to it via RS232 using a USB-to-serial converter. The mini is running a simple program that blinks an LED, so know that it is working.

I am now trying to deploy via the UART using a new Sparkfun USB FTDI TTL-232 cable – TTL-232R 3.3V cable. I downloaded and manually installed the cable's USB driver, then connected the TX (orange) wire on the cable output connector to pin 12 on the mini and RX (yellow) to pin 11 on the mini.

When I power-on the mini the LCD starts to blink (so I assume its alive). MFdeploy sees that I have a COM7 port, but if I click Ping I get "Pinging... Error: No response from device". Deploying a program from Visual Studio fails.

I have also tried using putty to open a connection to COM7 (115200 bps, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no flow control). The connection seems to open but when I press esc I don't get the "Which transport (1 or 2)?" prompt that I'm expecting.

What am I doing wrong? How can I troubleshoot this? Any advice or pointers would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Andy.

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

you have to flash the uart firmware first.

found here (with some instructions)

http://forums.netdui...-v420-update-1/

it has 2 firmware, one for rs232 deployment, one for uart deployment.

#3 Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

@NooM Thanks for the help!

I connected to the min via rs232, then followed the instructions to installe the bootloader from NetduinoMini_Firmware_4.2.0.1_TTL.zip using SAM-BA. This seemed to succeed, but then I get an error deploying the firmware using mfdeploy. If I try to ping the mini using mfdeploy then I get "Pinging... Error: No response from device".

Should I be flashing the firmware using the uart connection? I tried this and also rs232. I've tried cycling the power as well.

Its almost midnight here, so I'll pick this up tomorrow evening and go through the process again. In the meantime, do you have any thoughts on what might have cause this.

Thanks again, Andy.

#4 Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:06 PM   Best Answer

This looks to be solved now. I forgot to tie the GND (black) on the UART cable to the ground of the mini's power supply. As soon as I did that I could ping it and flash the firmware.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.