Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

WebServer with full file management support on SD card

webserver http file management sd card json files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tilos

tilos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Hi everybody,

http://duinoserver.codeplex.com/ is a ready to use webserver, which enables you a full file management on your SD card. It sets the local time via NTP after starting, supports UDP discovery and implements a simple, easy extendable Json-handler for led status requests and switching the led state.

So with a browser you can browse all directories and download every single file. Much more comfortable is using http://duinoexplorer.codeplex.com/ (or http://duinofinder.codeplex.com/ on MacOS). With that tool you can up- and download files and directories (and mixed with multiselection), rename or delete them in a Windows Explorer (iOS Finder) likely style. It also supports UDP discovery and contains a Json editor for sending and receiving Json commands.

How all this looks like:

Attached File  WS_firefox.png   51.32KB   115 downloads

Attached File  WS_explore.png   70.22KB   124 downloads

Attached File  WS_discovery.png   26.86KB   93 downloads

Attached File  WS_led_js.png   34.02KB   73 downloads

Attached File  WS_blink.png   32.29KB   59 downloads

I want to share this with the community and hope, someone finds it usefull. I appreciate every kind of response.

Tilo

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ah, the world's first Netduino NAS - very nice work!

About the Duinoexplorer - is that a fully custom made application or does it somehow integrate with windows?

What transfer speed can you reach when downloading a reasonably large file?

Does it support uploads too?

If you put a second SD card in there, you could have software RAID too  ;)

#3 tilos

tilos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Ah, the world's first Netduino NAS - very nice work!

Thank you.

Is it really the first one?

About the Duinoexplorer - is that a fully custom made application or does it somehow integrate with windows?

It is fully self made (the C# standard libs, like Windows.Forms and System.Net.WebClient are used, but I think it's not what you meaned?

in DuinoFinder I used the same code, but the GUI (there I took Gtk instead of Windows.Forms, what is also for Unix available))

What transfer speed can you reach when downloading a reasonably large file?

There the Netduino is the speed determinant. My device (N+2) sends and receives with ~ 40 - 45 kB/s, but I haven't made detailed analyses yet. It is maybe a good idea for further investigations and optimations.

If you put a second SD card in there, you could have software RAID too  ;)

Sorry, I don't know, I haven't made any investigations in that direction yet. My devices have only a single slot for SD card. Is there an extra hardware necessary?

#4 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

...Is it really the first one?

As a web server I think not but as Networked Attached Storage, I suppose it is. In a data acquisition application you don't have to take the card out to examine the log which ought to be an appreciated feature.

It is fully self made (the C# standard libs, like Windows.Forms and System.Net.WebClient are used, but I think it's not what you meaned?

in DuinoFinder I used the same code, but the GUI (there I took Gtk instead of Windows.Forms, what is also for Unix available))

I was thinking more in terms of whether you can access the files as kind of a network share like SAMBA (or something like that) using the standard Windows Explorer. I get that impression from looking at your pictures.

Sorry, I don't know, I haven't made any investigations in that direction yet. My devices have only a single slot for SD card. Is there an extra hardware necessary?

I didn't mean that seriously but yes, you would need an external SD card slot and drive that over SPI.

#5 tilos

tilos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

I was thinking more in terms of whether you can access the files as kind of a network share like SAMBA (or something like that) using the standard Windows Explorer. I get that impression from looking at your pictures.

No, all file and folder accesses are made by http - commands (GET, PUT, DELETE), except renaming. That is realized with (non http, but WebDAV) MOVE and is implemented to have a really full file management (but probably only supported in DuinoExplorer an DuinoFinder on the client site).

A multi users access authorisation is not implemented yet.

#6 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I see. What are you using this for yourself?

#7 tilos

tilos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I see. What are you using this for yourself?

Later that Json part shall be strongly enlarged. Commands and actions will be executed via json. And for that I can store ready to use js-files, additional data, images ... in a comfortable way and without installing another program or taking off the SD card. Then all actions can be triggered from any device in my local network (tablett, smartphone).

My second intention is learning by doing - it is my first Netduino project.

#8 maliman

maliman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's smashing project. I've tried it with my upgraded N+1 (4.2) with a success. But I've failed to do it with my N+2.... it's seems couldn't even deploy.. and finally error come up. Tilos may I know which firmware u use on your N+2 board.. thanks..

#9 tilos

tilos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

It's smashing project. I've tried it with my upgraded N+1 (4.2) with a success. But I've failed to do it with my N+2.... it's seems couldn't even deploy.. and finally error come up. Tilos may I know which firmware u use on your N+2 board.. thanks..

sorry for not answering until yet, I haven't been on this site for a while.

My N+2 runs with firmware 4.2.2.2 and works well. I can recompile and deploying without any problem.

But I must say I tried before with 2 different N+1 (4.2) and with one everything worked well, but with the otherone I only had problems. Even deploying the new firmware was big trouble and took many attempts (and time) and the responce varied. So I guess there was a hardware problem and I gave it back. Maybe it's something like that? Does on your N+1 DuinoServer works, or are there any problems?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: webserver, http, file management, sd card, json, files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.