Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

DFUSE troubleshoot

dfuse dfu stdfu bin hex

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 knutolai

knutolai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

DFUSE Demonstration is acting strangely. I wish to upload a firmware to my STM32f2xx chip based on the chips standard library. 

I follow the steps for firmware update found here:

http://forums.netdui...-v422-update-2/

When I hit the "upgrade" key in DFUSE Demonstrator, having chosen the .dfu file I wish to flash onto the board, the upgrade process takes 0 seconds to complete and I get a error message when leaving .dfu mode. The program I attempted to upload has no effect on the board. 

Is this a safe indicator that the .dfu file I attempted to upload is incompatible or unrecognizable by the board? 

Is there any magical way of operating DFU File Manager? 

#2 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

no it's straigtforward.  Its definitely klunky, but mostly straigtforward.  And it should take a little while to flash, subject to what you are flashing.

I would go back and check my assumptions:

*  is the DFU valid?  not only valid as a dfu, but when you built it, does it have what you think it does.

*  did you first erase the device?  with the stdfu tester?

*  did you select the 'verify' option, so the that it will read back what you wrote? (this is particularly useful to make sure you didn't forget to first erase)

Lastly (and I should have mentioned it firstly), try to flash the official firmware to verify your understanding of the flashing tool.  Then, if you have problems, you can be fairly confident that something is awry with the dfu itself (or with the contents therein).

#3 cutlass

cutlass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew England. :)

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

What OS are you using?

IIRC, only some versions work on XP.

And, as always, run the program as admin if you're not already on an admin account.

#4 knutolai

knutolai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]*  is the DFU valid?  not only valid as a dfu, but when you built it, does it have what you think it does.[/color]

The .dfu file is generated from a .hex file, again generated from a .elf file I get when I build my project. 

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]*  did you first erase the device?  with the stdfu tester?[/color]

Yes I always erase the board using the steps in the provided link. I think the board-erasing-process is working as that actually takes a few seconds to complete. The tool also states something like "erasing complete/successful" so I'm fairly confident this step is done correctly. 

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]*  did you select the 'verify' option, so the that it will read back what you wrote? (this is particularly useful to make sure you didn't forget to first erase)[/color]

When I select 'Upgrade' I get "Target 00: Upgrade Successful" (after upgrade that takes 0 seconds to complete)
When I select 'Verify' I get "Target 00: "Verify Successful". Im not shown by DFUSE what was written to the device. 

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Lastly (and I should have mentioned it firstly), try to flash the official firmware to verify your understanding of the flashing tool.  Then, if you have problems, you can be fairly confident that something is awry with the dfu itself (or with the contents therein).[/color]

Thats a great idea. I can't find the Netduino 2 firmware in a .dfu format. I found the firmware .zip file here: http://www.netduino.com/downloads/. I don't know how to use the content however as there is no README file provided. Could anyone supply me with either a firmware in the .dfu format or steps on how to generate it from the resources in the .zip file? 

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]What OS are you using?[/color]

IIRC, only some versions work on XP.

And, as always, run the program as admin if you're not already on an admin account.

I'm working in Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm the system admin. 

#5 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thats a great idea. I can't find the Netduino 2 firmware in a .dfu format. I found the firmware .zip file here: http://www.netduino.com/downloads/. I don't know how to use the content however as there is no README file provided. Could anyone supply me with either a firmware in the .dfu format or steps on how to generate it from the resources in the .zip file? 

the arrangement of downloads here does leave a bit (lot) to be desired.  Anyway, to wit, the latest Netduino 2 firmware can be found via links in this thread:

http://forums.netdui...-v422-update-2/

give it a go.

and you are sane, your DFU flashing should take as long if not longer than you are experiencing in your erase.  On the plus side, if your erase activity seems sane, then you are probably past any hypothetical usb problems.  So flashing back your firmware, and maybe a sanity check with mfdeploy ping, then you'll be back at ground zero (which is better than where you are now, right?  which is ground negative x?)

#6 knutolai

knutolai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] (which is better than where you are now, right?  which is ground negative x?)[/color]

Haha yeah agreed. 

I found the .dfu in the thread. Thank you. Tried to flash it onto the board following the steps in the thread. I got the same result as stated above. I'm using version 3.0.0 of DFUSE. The thread asks for version 3.0.2 and 3.0.1. Could this be vital to how the program runs? 

I'm sure DFUSE and my computer recognizes that my Netduino 2 is in bootloader mode. The upgrade option in DFUSE Demonstrator is grayed out when I attach it while not pressing the reset button. I'm a bit vary of using the DFUSE tools in any other ways than suggested in the thread, but could I try the "Upload Action" pane in DFUSE Demonstrator? It lets me upload a .dfu file (instead of upgrading(?), a little confusing). I don't wanna reach a point of no return with my board 

#7 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

I found the .dfu in the thread. Thank you. Tried to flash it onto the board following the steps in the thread. I got the same result as stated above. I'm using version 3.0.0 of DFUSE. The thread asks for version 3.0.2 and 3.0.1. Could this be vital to how the program runs? 

OMG (sigh) yes I should have mentioned that, too; I forgot about the update tool version issue.  I know folks have had problems with the earlier version (and hence why Chris put a link to the working ones, because they are harder to find otherwise).  And I am apparently using 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 myself, according to the title bar text.

#8 knutolai

knutolai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]OMG (sigh) yes I should have mentioned that, too; I forgot about the update tool version issue.  I know folks have had problems with the earlier version (and hence why Chris put a link to the working ones, because they are harder to find otherwise).  And I am apparently using 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 myself, according to the title bar text.[/color]

That did the trick! I imagined v. 3.0.0 was a stable working version (mostly because of the naming). 

Thank you very much for the help! Now I can finally start testing my code! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dfuse, dfu, stdfu, bin, hex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.