Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Launching an application from an SD card fails. AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap() and Assembly.Load() - not implemented?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Stavros Tekes

Stavros Tekes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThessaloniki, Greece

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

Turns out AppDomains is false on 4.2 RC1 Does anyone know, how this can be changed? 4.1 is fine too, the prob is that it hangs so many times giving us a headache, while 4.2 in netduino plus is much more stable. Cheers
Stavros

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi stekes, There are some late changes to AppDomains in the .NET MF 4.2 beta. Once the official 4.2 PK/SDK come out (very soon), we'll build an RC3 build...and then tweak these settings as appropriate from there. Chris

#23 erich

erich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

I have just tried this on an N+ I have got a System. NotImplemented Error in mscorlib.dll against AppDomain.CurrentDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrapp(.....) I used MFDeploy and discovered AppDomains set to false. What should I do?

#24 Stavros Tekes

Stavros Tekes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThessaloniki, Greece

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

I have just tried this on an N+ I have got a System. NotImplemented Error in mscorlib.dll against AppDomain.CurrentDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrapp(.....)

I used MFDeploy and discovered AppDomains set to false. What should I do?

Hi Erich, I reckon you are using the 4.2 RC1 version of the micro framework. Read Chris's answer above that they will most probably fix that in the next release of the framework. Hope that helps
Stavros

#25 Strillo

Strillo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

Once the official 4.2 PK/SDK come out (very soon), we'll build an RC3 build...and then tweak these settings as appropriate from there.

Hi Chris,

I just started playing with the Netduino Plus and upgraded the firmware to 4.2 RC3. Still having the same AppDomains set to false, is there any plan to fix this any time soon?

Strillo

#26 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

Chris - I may be looking to do something similar here soon (now that I have a working SD card!). You mentioned releasing RC3 and then "tweaking things." Any idea when this functionality might be available? Thanks,

#27 couchounou

couchounou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Hi Fabien, and all others in the thread

Thanks for the contribution, it could eventually help to a remote update of our software.

Has anyone tested this with the netduino plus?

I am using MF 4.2 RC1 and I am trying your exact code (as all my tries have failed) and I receive the same exception in CreateInstanceAndUnwrap you had.

Cheers

Stavros

Hi All,

I've tried this method on a Netduino plus to dynamicaly load from SD a whole application (24k .pe file) and finaly get it works with the method described above.
But during runtime a finaly have some errors like "Failed allocation for 39 blocks, 468 bytes".
So i've checked memory size and see that my application use 24K more (size of assembly) than when it is deployed directly from VS.

I think the allocation error come from this lack of memory.
So even it is realy far from my understanding , is there any way to have a dynamic assembly load, having the same Memory print than deployed from VS :unsure: :unsure:

Regards

#28 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi All,

I've tried this method on a Netduino plus to dynamicaly load from SD a whole application (24k .pe file) and finaly get it works with the method described above.
But during runtime a finaly have some errors like "Failed allocation for 39 blocks, 468 bytes".
So i've checked memory size and see that my application use 24K more (size of assembly) than when it is deployed directly from VS.

I think the allocation error come from this lack of memory.
So even it is realy far from my understanding , is there any way to have a dynamic assembly load, having the same Memory print than deployed from VS :unsure: :unsure:

Regards

I briefly toyed around with loading my application from the SD card using this and ran into the same kind of result. For some reason, when loaded dynamically, the memory usage is much higher. Never tried to tracked down why.

#29 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Am I naive for thinking these functions are almost the polar opposite of basic?

They are basic in the same way that the combination of nand gates to form a latch is fundamental to the design of RAM. AppDomains are fundamental to the .net framework (you can't start a program without one) but they are not basic in the sense of frequent direct use by newbie developers.
One day, all this too shall parse.

#30 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

I briefly toyed around with loading my application from the SD card using this and ran into the same kind of result. For some reason, when loaded dynamically, the memory usage is much higher. Never tried to tracked down why.

I suspect you are creating a new AppDomain rather than loading an assembly into the current AppDomain. If you create a new one, there will be overhead. When memory abounds as on a desktop computer, a couple of K is nothing, but on the N+ it is very significant. The advantage of creating a new AppDomain is that you can unload it, unlike individual assemblies.

On a limited resource device like the N+, the best thing to do is (re)write a config file and reboot, then load whatever your config indicates.
One day, all this too shall parse.

#31 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

I suspect you are creating a new AppDomain rather than loading an assembly into the current AppDomain. If you create a new one, there will be overhead. When memory abounds as on a desktop computer, a couple of K is nothing, but on the N+ it is very significant. The advantage of creating a new AppDomain is that you can unload it, unlike individual assemblies.

On a limited resource device like the N+, the best thing to do is (re)write a config file and reboot, then load whatever your config indicates.

Well, I'm not INTENTIONALLY creating a new appdomain. The code I'm using looks basically like:
            string[] files = Directory.GetFiles(@"\SD\assemblies");
            const string extension = ".pe";

MethodInfo mainMethod = null;
            foreach (string file in files)
            {
                if (file.LastIndexOf(extension) != file.Length - extension.Length)
                {
                    continue;
                }

byte[] assemblyData = File.ReadAllBytes(file);
                Assembly assembly = Assembly.Load(assemblyData);

// Search for Main method
                if (mainMethod == null)
                {
                    foreach (Type type in assembly.GetTypes())
                    {
                        MethodInfo m = type.GetMethod("Main", BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Static);
                        if (m != null)
                        {
                            mainMethod = m;
                            break;
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

if (mainMethod != null)
            {
                mainMethod.Invoke(null, new object[0]);
            }

Basically, I took the .pe files generated by an existing project (that I would otherwise deploy directly from visual studio) and copied them onto my SD card (except the core micro framework ones), and load them up (Assembly.Load). Then search through and locate the "Main" method, once found, I execute it.

I was vaguely concerned with how references (assembly references, not object references) would match up, but I figured I would worry about that when it became a problem.

It does in fact execute my code, but throws memory exceptions before it gets very far. I also tried scoping things such that the assemblyData byte array went out of scope prior to actually executing the method (because that obviously takes up a good chunk of memory), but no luck.

#32 H07R0D

H07R0D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Instead of CreateInstanceAndUnwrap, I've just been calling the GetConstructor from the Type Object pulled from an Assembly.
Works fine for me, not sure what the difference is between the two processes.

Assembly assm = Assembly.Load(byte[] from FileStream);

Type objType = assm.GetType("Namespace.Object");

object obj = (object)objType.GetConstructor(new[] {typeof(object) }).Invoke(new object[0]);

You can pass parameters in the Invoke call if the Constructor needs it.

#33 couchounou

couchounou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Instead of CreateInstanceAndUnwrap, I've just been calling the GetConstructor from the Type Object pulled from an Assembly.
Works fine for me, not sure what the difference is between the two processes.

Assembly assm = Assembly.Load(byte[] from FileStream);

Type objType = assm.GetType("Namespace.Object");

object obj = (object)objType.GetConstructor(new[] {typeof(object) }).Invoke(new object[0]);

You can pass parameters in the Invoke call if the Constructor needs it.

Hi,
After testing the both, this Method is simplier and work well but does not produce a real different memory foot print.

#34 Steve Biedermann

Steve Biedermann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm new to this Forum and have almost no experiance with MicroControllers, but i may know some Methods for creating bigger applications. But I don't know if these are implementet in the Microframework. 1) Create an scripting engine with CodeDOM and save the Scripts in Binary Format. I have not tested how much RAM this Version takes. 2) Using the System.AddIn Namespace and create DLL's. There you have to use Interfaces to define the AddIn Standard. So that creating new AddIn's would be a little bit simpler. 3) For really large Programms you may use a WCF based Scripting Engine. This Way you can send Memory expensive Code to a WCF Server which calculates the needed values and send these back. Only bad thing is, that you need a computer and a network connection to run the application. 4) The most fun but also most expensive and advanced Method: Create a NetDuino Cloud. Take 3 or 4 Netduinos, connect them, and make them work together :) Is the system.addin namespace implemented in the Microframework? I really would like to test Nr. 2 when my NetDuino arrives this week. :)

#35 Marco Zora

Marco Zora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

All is OK, when .pe is loaded in the current application domain! "AppDomain.CurrentDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap" It is not possible to load a .pe file in a new application domain! So the procedure is not correct! because when the loaded application will close, something will de different in the netduino RAM and the system will crash. For example I'm tryed to Light a LED in loaded application and after in the main application. The system dont work correctly. any suggestion? bye

#36 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi Marco,

any suggestion?

Have you played with the Mono Bootloader sample?
http://forums.netdui...nd-sample-apps/

It successfully loads assemblies on the fly and executes them.

Doing so shouldn't corrupt anything.

Chris

#37 Joshua

Joshua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Does anyone have a good way to debug or attach the symbols for loaded .pe files and debug them through vs?

#38 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hi Joshua,

Does anyone have a good way to debug or attach the symbols for loaded .pe files and debug them through vs?

Are you wanting to attach to a running process? To .PE files which were deployed with the app or ones that are loaded at runtime?

Chris

#39 Joshua

Joshua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi Joshua,

Are you wanting to attach to a running process? To .PE files which were deployed with the app or ones that are loaded at runtime?

Chris

I want to debug .PE files that are loaded at run time.

#40 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hi Joshua,

I want to debug .PE files that are loaded at run time.

Please vote for this issue.

This is a feature which Microsoft is hoping to get into the next version of NETMF. It would be really useful for a number of scenarios; your voice of support is appreciated :)

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.