Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Dive Computer and Rebreather Controller Based on a Netduino Mini

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

I've added Bluetooth in the form of a BlueSMiRF Silver modem, plus also added data logging capabilities to the code. I can now capture a cross section of data every 30 seconds (about 50 different items). I transfer the data to my laptop after a dive.

#22 cce1911

cce1911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

I saw you using gradient factors in the video. What deco algorithm are you using and did you code that yourself?

#23 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

I started by studying and working with Eric Baker's Fortran gf implementation of Buhlmann's approach as a desktop planner. From that I came up with new code to do live deco calculations. The approach in my code to deco calculations is different from the one Baker used. Also, the NDL calculation is new, as is the capability for closed circuit deco. In fact little remains from the original Fortran.

#24 cce1911

cce1911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

Wow, that's a heck of an undertaking! So what's the motivation? Are you implementing features not found on the Shearwater or Hammerhead units? (BTW, I'm not a CCR diver but I was tech diving long before the term was ever coined.)

#25 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

As I dive a mk15 there are few choices for a controller. Shearwater only supports OEM in the form of a controller. Rev C Hammerhead is a fine option but the ppO2 screen alternates with other screens on a 2 x 20 LCD/OLED and there's no way I would fork over for rev D. And then there's that I wanted a new creative outlet... The 4 x 20 COG OLED puts everything I need on the one screen, which to me is even better than the Shearwater. I do have one line alternate, but the info is less important and I use it as an indicator of system health. I can data log anything more or less on a whim. Right now all 16 individual pn2 and phe tissue compartments are written to flash during regular intervals during the dive. After diving I can send them to my laptop using the Bluetooth feature and look at them with Mathematica.

#26 cce1911

cce1911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

What do you use for a HUD?

It looks like you have certainly found a creative outlet :) I look forward to following your progress...

#27 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

I choose not to use a HUD. In the past I've used a Shearwater HUD and I've also used a HH HUD for a while as well. I like to see the actual numbers, which I glance at *a lot*. My handset is my primary and I use a Predator as a secondary. The Predator is very HUD-like due to the color coding.

#28 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

Update.

Homebrewed mini2:

Posted Image

Homebrewed mini2 in situ with project (the jumper is to optimize one of the four spi parts):

Posted Image

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hey cys,

It's very cool that you've built a homebrewed mini :)

Chris

#30 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Very impressive, it requires quite some skill.

Partly reflow soldered or everything by hand?

What are the differences compared to Chris's version?

#31 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hey cys,

It's very cool that you've built a homebrewed mini :)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks. It's an expression of how much I like the Netduino Mini.

Chris

#32 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Very impressive, it requires quite some skill.

Partly reflow soldered or everything by hand?

What are the differences compared to Chris's version?

It was all soldered by hand.

Some differences are that pin 1 was converted to an analog pin, pins 2 and 3 to I2C, and pin 22 to a digital pin.  Some similarities are that SPI pins are still the same, and power and ground pins are still the same. Reassigning pin 1 and not reassigning SPI or power/ground were to make the move from the Netduino Mini version of my project to homebrew mini easier.

Of course the biggest differences are that the homebrew mini has an STM32 chip and USB.

Chris

#33 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

Of course the biggest differences are that the homebrew mini has an STM32 chip and USB.

Yes, quite significantly so, how silly of me :-)

#34 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

Yes, quite significantly so, how silly of me :-)

That was for the non-expert readers. I even avoided saying it first thing... :).

#35 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

The homebrewed Mini 2 is very nice. Is it running .NETMF or are you coding it directly in C?

#36 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

It runs NETMF. I've been using the Netduino Plus 2 firmware (but recently tried Netduino 2 firmware and it works as well).

#37 yial2

yial2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hi cys,

I am an entry level diver (far far far from the technical diving you are doing there) and working as a .net web developer. I got to this post from google while I was wondering if a dive computer can possibly be put together with raspberry pi

This looks like an amazing project even though I don't have much knowledge of how hardware/software work  together. Your early stage of "hello world" definitely inspired me to try the first baby step.

Is it possible for you to point me to where to look for parts, e.g. pressure/temperature sensor and oled screen?

Additionally, you seem to have a very well made casing for the electronic parts. Do you have to expose the sensor to have contact with water? If you do, how was it accomplished to prevent water from getting in due to high pressure at depth? Sorry to bomb you with all the newbie questions.

By the way, saw one of your videos on vimeo with "the sea diver" on Peace back then. The sea diver is diving club from redondo beach right? I am from around the area, redondo beach is my home surfing spot!

#38 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Cys, would it be possible for you to share the Eagle files for the board? I'd like to make one of these as well.

#39 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

This was the start of the board, but a lot of changes were made: http://eleccelerator...breakout-board/ Getting everything into the mini format is challenging, especially because the routing of the pins isn't always natural due to making it backwards compatible with the real mini.

For now I'm just going to keep the home-brewed mini2 as my own hack. I've seen some irregularities (posted elsewhere here) with SPI that I've been able to work around with code that may or may not be homebrewed hardware related. I'm finding that the dive computer based on the real mini works so well for me -- I use it all the time -- that I haven't touched the HB-mini2 project for a while.

#40 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Is it possible for you to point me to where to look for parts, e.g. pressure/temperature sensor and oled screen?

Additionally, you seem to have a very well made casing for the electronic parts. Do you have to expose the sensor to have contact with water? If you do, how was it accomplished to prevent water from getting in due to high pressure at depth? Sorry to bomb you with all the newbie questions.

I just happened to see recently that Sparkfun now offers an MS5803 pressure/temperature breakout. I use this sensor, but I made my own breakout board for it. There is a conversation about the breakout board on the bottom of the Sparkfun page that provides a link to schematics for sealing the sensor with an oring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.