Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

A big thank you!

makerfaire

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dotnetworker

dotnetworker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorth East England

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've been lurking since Feb on here, so only fair to feedback...

Just a quick but big thank you to Chris, Fabien Royer and many others on the forums here for posting such detailed notes on their investigations over many subjects from power supply noise to driving LCDs/LEDs/Inductive loads, memory management, serial RS232 driving etc etc..

This weekend I presented at MakerFaire UK, I presented a Netduino project, something that caught a lot of peoples attention and got me into many, many conversions of RPi vs Netduino vs Gadgeteer vs Arduino!

Also entertained over 750 people who took part in my activity.

(Chris -I did my best to promote the product & community :) )

If you are interested in the story, my build blog is found on this link,www.paperbitschallenge.info

Now I need to buy a current Netduino model and start on something bigger and better for next year's entry!

Posted Image

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hi! Congrats on this which all looks great but what does it do? I'm sorry for maybe being stupid but I can't seem to understand what your project is about. I see something that looks a bit like a thermo transfer printer and lots of tiny bits a paper that seems to come from someone plunching holes into pieces of paper (like the used to do on the train in the old days). Could you please explain to someone like me who is a bit slow on these things? Just to be clear, I'm absolutely not trying to be witty or anything, I just honestly don't understand what that machine of yours does. Thanks!

#3 dotnetworker

dotnetworker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

no worries

Visitors use hole punches to punch holes in the cards, thus creating data that is a guess as to the "secret number" held on the netduino SD card.

The punched card is then read by inserting it into the reader, and they get a sticker and if they guessed the number they get a special sticker. New number is stored to SD and it all starts again.

Basically introduces general public to a taste of binary (by using binary to punch the number they want to guess) and for the younger ones a history lesson about how data was stored on paper in computer punch cards. 

Most importantly everyone gets to play with paper and has a bit of fun as they learn.

#4 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Oh I see, so it was a lottery with kind of a flirt to old school programming using punch cards then, very clever indeed. That was actually even before my time :-) Cool! Of curiosity, was it a LED pimped up thermo transfer printer that printed the stickers?

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi dotnetworker,

The punched card is then read by inserting it into the reader, and they get a sticker and if they guessed the number they get a special sticker. New number is stored to SD and it all starts again.

Oh that does look fun. I just checked out some of the footage. Thank you for building this--and for sharing it with your local makers and with us! Chris

#6 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Nice project, and it shows that making is so much more than "just" writing code.

:)

#7 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Good to meet you at Manchester's Mini Maker Faire today.

Nice project and good to see kids taking part.

Good work

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#8 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well done!

#9 dotnetworker

dotnetworker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Manchester Mini MakerFaire 2013

Thanks was great meeting so many lovely people and another 574 people had a go with the project.

Plus all the other who watched and friends and family.

More fun explaining the Netduino and some interest from a few .NET developers.

Best was the faces of all the happy people.

Follow the link for the stats and photos from the weekend, interesting "random" number psychology! 

http://paperbitschallenge.info/

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: makerfaire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.