Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How do I create a deployment hex file?

deployment mfdeploy hexfile

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calvin235

calvin235

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

I've been trying to create a hex file I can give to my colleagues so they don't need to load up VS, update the project, and build it just to deploy the exact same bits.

Attempting to use the directions from here: http://forums.netdui...ing-mf-deploy/, basically going to "Create Application Deployment" under the Target menu, just results in an error "Device has old or unsupported configuration", and it stops responding.  After I power-cycle/reconnect USB, it seems like the firmware (but not bootloader) has been erased from the device (Ping returns "TinyBooter Bootloader build info: Netduino Plus (v4.2.0.1) by Secret Labs LLC")

I'm using the latest N+ bootloader, firmware and the 4.2 MF SDK.  Any thoughts on how to get a hex file out, then deploy it?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi calvin235, With the latest firmware on Netduino gen1, you'll need to put the board into bootloader mode (by pressing-and-holding the pushbutton while powering it up via USB) to create a HEX file. This is because the new WinUSB drivers can't reboot the device into bootloader mode--the mode used for flashing boards. With the gen2 boards, this isn't an issue. For gen1 boards you can also manually switch to the legacy MFUSB drivers if the workaround bugs you :) Does that get you off and running? Your colleagues can simply unzip MFDeploy to a folder on their desktop to deploy the HEX file (and have the Netduino drivers installed on their PC)--and then flash the app. You could also create a custom reflashing app using the MFDeployEngine class. Does that get you up and running? Chris

#3 calvin235

calvin235

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Seems like it's working from and to my own board.  Just a few points to be clear:

• I need to hold reset on power up to both make and deploy the image files(?)
  • How long does reset need to be held to enter bootloader mode (x secs, until y happens)?
  • Does "Gen1" mean all Netduino Plus (1's) with the Atmel micro, and Gen2 the STMicro boards, or are they subdivided (e.g. I have a Rev B board)

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hi calvin235,

• I need to hold reset on power up to both make and deploy the image files(?)
Yes. This is only necessary for gen1 hardware running the latest 4.2+ firmware.

• How long does reset need to be held to enter bootloader mode (x secs, until y happens)?
As long as it's held down while you're plugging in your mainboard and you continue to hold it for a few hundred milliseconds, you're fine.

• Does "Gen1" mean all Netduino Plus (1's) with the Atmel micro, and Gen2 the STMicro boards, or are they subdivided (e.g. I have a Rev B board)
Yes. The Atmel SAM7-based boards (ARM7 technology) are gen1. The STM32-based boards (Cortex technology) are gen2.

Chris

#5 BrunoPescarolli

BrunoPescarolli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

What is the command to create .hex file from netduino project? , It's using MetaData Processor.exe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.