Wireless, low power, batterydriven modules. - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Wireless, low power, batterydriven modules.

WiFi Wireless Batterydriven Compact

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dhpetersen

dhpetersen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I've been looking around on the site and so far as I can see there's no low-power, WiFi-transmitters that are compact/small dimensions.

Preferably the board/module should be able to last at least about 2 years on one or two AAA or AAAA batteries. If there's something that can take care of this I'd most likely be interested in a bunch of them along with Netduino Plus boards as I'm working to solve a problem I've found at my fathers Work.

Can anybody tell me how this could be done?

I thank you in advance.

Dwayne H. Petersen

System Developer | Spare Time Geek

#2 mHammer

mHammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hmm that would be very cool. I'm a little skeptical, because you might be limited to bluetooth or simple rf. Something like the logetech keyboards or mice which advertise long battery life.

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Considering how long my smartphone battery lasts when WiFi is on (and assuming it has reasonably low-power circuitry), I seriously doubt it is possible to have year-long lifetime on AAA battery, unless you want the module to spend it in deep sleep mode (where it is certainly possible to achieve consumption in µA range).

Just to put things into perspective, [randomly picked] RN-171 ultra low power 802.11 b/g module has power consumption 35 mA active RX, 180 mA TX (at +12dBm). The capacity of Sanyo Eneloop AAA 1.2 V battery is 800 mAh, which means theoretically 800/180 = 4.4 hours of full power transmit operation (not including receiver, the power consumption of the rest of the module circuitry, losses etc.). To get year lifetime, the module would be allowed to transmit for 500µs 1.8 s every hour (4.4/365/24*3600).

The extremely long run time implies extremely low data rate and short range (low power), you'd probably need to do some research in areas suggested by mHammer, i.e. Bluetooth Low Energy, ZigBee or custom RF modules (like nRF24 or similar).

Edit: After I corrected the formula, it seems it could be done after all (?)

Edited by CW2, 26 March 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#4 Anny

Anny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

You can also check WhizNets WiFi module.

#5 wendo

wendo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

I doubt this is possible unless you have a car battery or so to run from, however there are other options. If you use one of the solar shields available you may be able to run during the day on solar and charge the battery and run at night on battery, although you'd still need a decent sized panel and battery (something like a 6000mah lipo battery at a guess.

I doubt even with a very low power radio that you'd get anywhere near that timeframe with only AA batteries. The netduino itself likely would drain them in a couple of months, even if it's almost exclusively idle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WiFi, Wireless, Batterydriven, Compact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.