Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

I2C pullup resistors on Netduino Mini

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

I haven't gotten a Mini yet (after the holidays, more than likely) but I was looking at the schematic and noticed that there are already 10Meg resistors tied between the SCL and SDA lines and +3.3V...

So does this mean that you do NOT need to provide external pullups (typically 4.7k, right?)

Just curious - I suppose I'll find out the first project I try to use I2C with a Mini...

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

HI GDServer, The 10meg resistors are effectively "dummy resistors." Or as I tend to call them "infinite-ish resistors". If a commercial customer orders a special batch of Netduino Minis, we can replace them with 4.7K or other value resistors. But for standard use, they'll have pretty much zero effect. Since I2C can be driven by 3.3V or 5V and because I2C resistor values change based on voltage and # of devices, we've left them off to enable maximum flexibility for users. Chris

#3 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info - Can't wait to get my hands on a Mini and take it for a test spin.

#4 Anatoly

Anatoly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Hello! I using Netduino mini and want to connect on I2C port one device - LIS 331 accellerometer. Please tell me how wright connect it? What nominal resistors place from SDL, SCA to VCC wire? And second - I planning power mini from +5.5V (USB port) but LIS 331 powered maximum 3.3 V can I use 1 LED for drop down power from 5.5 to 3.3? Or best offer will be using LM317L(with resistors defferential) current converter?

#5 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hi Anatoly, 

for the pullup resistors for SDA and SCL you can just try to use 4.7k ohm.

For powering the LIS 331 you should use a 3.3V regulator. THe LM317L will work just fine, but it would be easier to use something like MC33269DT-3.3G instead, since it doesn't require any external components.

#6 Anatoly

Anatoly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Thank you Frode! You just save more time for me! Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.