Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus 2 with RN-131C WiFly

RN-131C WiFly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jay.Bto

Jay.Bto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hello, I am trying to get the RN-131C WiFly module working and I can't seem to get the driver instantiated using the Toolbox.NETMF.Hardware.WiFlyGSX driver. 

I debugged into the driver and the serial port isn't returning any data. The wifly module is getting power and I am using an external power supply ([font="arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"]9V DC 650mA Wall Adapter Power Supply[/font]).

While debugging, I noticed it just stays in the _CommandMode_Start() mehtod on: 

// Wait until we actually enterred the command mode while (this._Mode != Modes.CommandMode) Thread.Sleep(1);

this._Mode is always 0

Following the datasheet, I made sure I have power by measuring 3.3v on pin 20 and 21 on the wifly using 3V3 pin on the netduino. Ground on pin 18 on the wifly using GRN on the netduino. 

I am using pin 12 and 13 for UART RX/TX on the wifly and Digital I/0 pins 0 and 1 on the netduino.. 

Here is the code for the app placed in a method being called after I press the ONBOARD.SW1 button on the netduino.

// Declares the WiFly module, configures the IP address and joins a wireless network            WiFlyGSX WifiModule = new WiFlyGSX("COM1", 9600, "$", true);            WifiModule.EnableDHCP();            WifiModule.JoinNetwork("Router", 7, WiFlyGSX.AuthMode.WPA2_PSK, "WirelessKey", 1);            // Showing some interesting output            Debug.Print("Local IP: " + WifiModule.LocalIP);            Debug.Print("MAC address: " + WifiModule.MacAddress);            // Creates a socket            SimpleSocket Socket = new WiFlySocket("www.netmftoolbox.com", 80, WifiModule);            // Connects to the socket            Socket.Connect();            // Does a plain HTTP request            Socket.Send("GET /helloworld/ HTTP/1.1rn");            Socket.Send("Host: " + Socket.Hostname + "rn");            Socket.Send("Connection: Closern");            Socket.Send("rn");            while (Socket.IsConnected || Socket.BytesAvailable > 0)            {                string Text = Socket.Receive();                if (Text != "")                    Debug.Print(Text);            }            // Closes down the socket            Socket.Close();

Here are the contents of my debugger output:

O: exitrO: closerO: exitrO: $$$

Attached are pictures of the WiFly module and the Netduino.

Thanks in advanced!

Attached Files

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The output you're getting is normally happening when the netduino doesn't get data from the wifly module.

Have you, by any chance, reversed rx and tx?

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Jay.Bto

Jay.Bto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The output you're getting is normally happening when the netduino doesn't get data from the wifly module.

Have you, by any chance, reversed rx and tx?

Hi Stefan, first of all great job on the toolkit. It's great.

Yes I tried both ways with same result. What else do you think it could be? I also tried changing baud rate to 115200.

I read on a post on here that there's a diode that I may need to bypass on pin 3? Have you heard of this? Would this be the case for me?

Thanks again Stefan.

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hi Stefan, first of all great job on the toolkit. It's great.

Yes I tried both ways with same result. What else do you think it could be? I also tried changing baud rate to 115200.

I read on a post on here that there's a diode that I may need to bypass on pin 3? Have you heard of this? Would this be the case for me?

Thanks again Stefan.

The diode is on the sparkfun xbee shield, I don't think that'll apply here; from what I see is that you are using the module directly.

Do you also have connected the reset pin to Gnd? Otherwise it won't boot up either I believe. I never used the module directly, only from the xbee form factor.

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.