Netduino Plus - First impressions from a beginner - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus - First impressions from a beginner

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WannaFly

WannaFly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:56 AM

I received my netduino plus today and couldn't wait to break it open and mess around with it. I've never done anything with this stuff before, but I have full desktop .Net development experience - which lead me down this path to the micro framework. My first thought opening the box: WOW this this is TINY. There is a ton of things packed onto the board. I've seen tons of pictures and it makes sense that it would be small but it's impressive. The quality is top notch, everything looks very well done and of high quality. I did receive a micro USB cable, thankfully - because I do not have one otherwise. I still don't understand what the multi color barcode paper is for. I had previously installs VS and the SDK, so I plugged it in, walked through the blinking light demo. I called my girlfriend in explaining in excitement what I had just done and she gave me the blank "really?" stare -haha. Here I am 2 hours later I've done button press, event handler, gotten the time from the internet and blinked the LED to output it, and downloaded one of the webserver examples (But I don't have an SD card..yet). I'm addicted. This is a really great item. So, if anyone has any suggestions for things I can do with just the board I'm up for it. I've ordered a few sensors but they wont be here for a week or so. My first project I think might be to get this http://shop.modernde...cts/wind-sensor so that I can monitor when my heater/air conditioner turns on and off easily, log it to the SD card and make some charts from it. From there it will be something simliar to http://gardenbot.org/. Is there any posts or suggestions on making the netduino run off perhaps AA or a 9V battery? Thanks all for the advice I am glad to be a part of this community and am looking forward to helping where I can and learning from everyone else.

#2 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

I use one of these http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9518 to connect a 9V battery. Works fine.

#3 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

I use one of these http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9518 to connect a 9V battery. Works fine.

I have the same adapter as AlfredBr... works great!
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#4 Jim Davies

Jim Davies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBrighton & Hove, UK

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Yes, what is the "multi color barcode paper" for???

Jim

#5 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

It's a Microsoft Tag. I was hoping it was some secret stuff, but it was more along the lines of "Drink More Ovaltine".

Microsoft Tags are actually really cool things.

#6 Jim Davies

Jim Davies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Bill. Er, what can I do with it? Jim

#7 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Bill.

Er, what can I do with it?

Jim

Well, if you've got a smartphone, you can get the microsoft tag app, scan it with your phone, and it will send you to the netduino download section.

#8 Jim Davies

Jim Davies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Bill - maybe I will... (after clearing some snow, making coffee, and maybe other stuff!) Jim

#9 VincentA

VincentA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

it works!!! pretty cool!!!

#10 WannaFly

WannaFly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the recommendation about the 9V adapter. I've ordered a beginners kit that includes one. bill: My first thought about the Microsoft tag was "why not a QR-code?" but then my brain slapped itself since it comes with the NETduino, which runs .net, which is a Microsoft product :) I've never seen a Microsoft tag before, but have seen and used a TON of QR codes. I'm not sure about that wind sensor now, it'd be great for my first project but then I was thinking of maybe making an outdoor wind sensor with it but I have no Idea how I'd weatherproof a board like that and have it still work. I'm thinking of using a temperature sensor to monitor if the A/C comes on and if the temp changes a lot over a short period (2-5 secs?) I might be able to assume the A/C came on. The sensor will be VERY close to the Air outlet. any thoughts?

#11 Eivind

Eivind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBodø, Norway

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the recommendation about the 9V adapter. I've ordered a beginners kit that includes one.

What beginners kit did you order? Will any Arduino-kit do (or do you have to compensate for the 3.3v vs 5v difference)?

Eivind

#12 WannaFly

WannaFly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

Eivind: I purchased this from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_2176wt_1139 It's a little riskier then from sparkfun/etc but the price difference was worth it and it comes with more "stuff". I have not gotten it yet though, it says it takes 3-4 weeks. As for compensating for the difference, hopefully it is not a big problem and I'll work with those problems as I run into them.

#13 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

I have been playing around with the Arduino for the last year working on a custom motorcycle LED accent lighting project. The Arduino is great for it. But then I started wanting more. I wanted the leds to react to music, control via a wifi interface, xbee communication with another bike to sync animations, etc... Currently the project consists of an Arduino, a 4 button remote, sd card, and tlc5947 to control RGB leds. It got to the point I maxed out the Arduino. I grabbed a YellowJacket Arduino clone but it isn't fast enough to use wifi control. I am currently running the project off of this battery.

That is where the Netduino plus comes in. I just got mine yesterday. I program in .NET at work (mostly VB, some C#) so it should be easy to pick up. I have to install the SDK yet. At home I don't have enough room on the Windows side of my Mac to install Visual Studio Express at the moment so I might just VM it.

Having the ethernet port and sd card built in will be nice for the project. I am going to scrap the 4 button remote and just use wifi to control it. Well, I might put a couple of master buttons on the case as a fail safe. I have a Fonera wifi router that I can connect to it. Nice thing about the Fonera, it runs off 5v. A 5v 3amp voltage regulator will run everything. Anyone, I can put the 5v power into the 5v pin on the Netduino, I don't need to use the barrel jack, correct?

The Arduino then is going to be moved to a HUD speedometer project. Nothing like combining two hobbies :)

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi SirPoonga, You can absolutely plug 5V regulated power directly into the 5V header. If you're used to developing in Visual Studio, it's probably best to install it on a Windows machine. We've done quite a bit of work to make sure Mac users are supported, but Visual Studio can get sluggish in a VM. I'm looking forward to seeing more about your new project! Chris

#15 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Quick question, since the netduino is 32bit are data types the standard sizes. Like integer is 4 bytes, short is 2, etc...

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Quick question, since the netduino is 32bit are data types the standard sizes. Like integer is 4 bytes, short is 2, etc...

Exactly, you've got it. int is 32 bit. If you ever want to be explicit about it, you can use System.Int32, System.SByte, etc.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.