Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

underwater ROV camera platform

underwater ROV platform propulsion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ruben_verschueren

ruben_verschueren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hello all. this is my first post here and i'm trying to gather info on the feasability of my idea.

I'm a scuba diver and I recently started filming. I bought the following camera but have some difficulties with keeping it steady and getting close ups of fish.

my idea is to build a remote controlled platform I could attach the camera to.

at first i would keep it pretty basic, 2 -4 rotors to control the propulsion of the platform.

Attached with a cable (I guess wireless isn't a good idea under water?) would be a simple remote with a few buttons.

possible extensions:

- extra display on the 'remote' to see what's being filmed

- extra remote functionality to control the camera (actually the camera has it's own wireless remote i could just waterproof).

So my question is: is this possible? Anyone have any ideas or know of any similar projects (that for instance tackle parts of the challenge).

#2 thepilotfish

thepilotfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hello Ruben,

Cool idea! Every time I come back from vacation I start designing one of these. I am yet to get beyond the back-of-a-napkin-sketch phase... 

To start, have a look at this ROV (no affiliation with them and haven't used the product myself). 

I believe your main challenges are outside of the control schematics / software:

- Creating a sufficiently water-tight setup that you can drop down to 60-80 feet. At depth (pressure) you can't get away with splash-rated electricals. Things get large/heavy/expensive very quickly;

- Getting a quiet propulsion system that is responsive enough to keep with the object, yet allows you to approach them without scaring them away (unless you are content with anemones and sea cucumbers); 
  - Getting the right power source. Most Li-based batteries create a big mess around water. I've read about people using the cells made by A123 and found in the DeWalt cordless drill battery packs for submerged propulsion pods;
  - Finding a way to get rid of the tether (this has been paramount for me but might not be an issue for you). Wireless is a good idea under (salt) water, as long as it is not radio-wave based ;);

If you are not afraid to tackle all of the above... I've always looked at this as an "underwater hovercraft" project: create (and maintain) neutral buoyancy and use trust-vectoring (angle/velocity) to move around. Won't win any high-speed chases but will probably get the longest dive times with the least amount of energy and disturbance. Plus it will provide the most stable camera platform - it's like getting a gyro-stabilized camera pod.

I wonder if any of the quad-copter projects out there cannot be used a a starting point when it comes to schematics / software:

- Use a 3-axis accelerometer to determine orientation (mainly for horizontal plane reference);

- Use a 3-axis gyro to determine rate of rotation (propulsion control keep those to a minimum when there is no operator input for camera PoV stabilization);

- Use pressure sensor for current depth detection. Delta registration is probably more important than absolute value;

- Use a pressure cylinder with a step motor for buoyancy control (several other ways to achieve this);

- Hook-up each of your motor pods through a decent bi-directional speed controller;

- Your "hover" algorithm will depend heavily on your thruster layout, but the basic idea should be to work towards zero-readings on the gyro and zero-deltas on the accelerometer. Once you get that, it should be relatively easy to "temporarily break" your hover algorithm to move in the right direction.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep us posted on the progress - really looking forward to seeing some underwater footage :)

Chris

www.projectpilotfish.com

#3 ruben_verschueren

ruben_verschueren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

It gave me a better idea of the challenges i'm going to have to tackle.

as for underwater footage, my first clip (very amateuristic I admit) is on youtube here: 

It's made in croatia last year.

My idea was to start from an existing simple design of a 'normal' ROV like the seaPerch http://www.phillyseaperch.org/.

Just to get an idea of how it handles. Since that seems pretty inexpensive to make I could then start adding new features or make a new design.

As I have no real hardware knowledge it seems like a good starting point.

I love the pilotfish idea btw, seems like a great challenge.

Cool website as well..

#4 thepilotfish

thepilotfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the nice words on Pilot Fish. BTW, even though it's not a submerged vehicle (other than parts of the motor pods), keeping ocean water out of the navionics, batteries and propulsion over the course of the trip has been a significant challenge... Just saying ;)

Good luck with the project! Would be interesting to follow the build. I might also revisit the tether-less design later this Summer - will post back if it ever gets any traction. Oh, and it will most probably be Netduino-driven :)

Chris

www.projectpilotfish.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.