Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Backup Battery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Igor Kondrasovas

Igor Kondrasovas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationPorto, Portugal

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hello,

I would like some tips about using a secondary power source (like a battery) to make sure that if my main power supply (on the power jack) goes down, my Netduino stills run.

I was thinking about using a secondary 5V battery attached to VIN pin. My questions are:

1 - Can I power Netduino using both the power jack and the VIN pin at the same time?

2 - If yes, will the battery power be used only when the main power is off? I am afraid that maybe the battery power will also be consumed....

Any other advice?

Thank you,

Igor.

Igor Kondrasovas

www.inovativatec.com

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

You cannot do it directly.  You would likely need some kind of power management board.  On my setup I have a 3.7v LiPoly cell with a LiPoly Charger/Booster.  When the unit is plugged in it is constantly keeping the LiPoly charged.  When the power goes out the batter automatically takes over.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi Igor, There is automatic switchover between VIN and USB power. If you wanted to connect a 5V battery to the USB port (voltage range: 4.5V-5.5V) and your main power to the power barrel or VIN...the Netduino would automatically switch to "USB power" if the main power cut off. Alternatively you could create your own auto-switch circuitry externally and switch between multiple sources on the fly. Chris P.P.S. There are some things you can do with diodes...feeding multiple power sources to the same feed...where the highest-voltage feed will be used. But we generally prefer a voltage comparator solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.