Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Uploading code without VS?

uploading code coding flashing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Is there a way to upload a compiled project without going through Visual Studio? Specifically, I'm wondering if it's possible to write a small program in C# that will connect to the Netduino and upload pre-compiled code. How would I accomplish this?

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

This is what MFDeploy can do however you are not deploying the compiled program.  You are uploading an image (hex file) of the program as it is on the Netduino.  I don't believe there is a way to build a deployment utility without getting into the working of how Visual Studio deploys.  If you are able to deploy your software to a Netduino, you can use MFDeploy to copy that code to a .hex file and using MFDeploy you can easily deploy this hex file to many Netduinos in essence creating clones from the image.  I believe this is your only solution.

#3 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

This is what MFDeploy can do however you are not deploying the compiled program.  You are uploading an image (hex file) of the program as it is on the Netduino.  I don't believe there is a way to build a deployment utility without getting into the working of how Visual Studio deploys.  If you are able to deploy your software to a Netduino, you can use MFDeploy to copy that code to a .hex file and using MFDeploy you can easily deploy this hex file to many Netduinos in essence creating clones from the image.  I believe this is your only solution.

Any solution is a good solution. How do I go about making a hex file? Also, isn't it possible to call the MFDeployEngine from any .NET program?

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yes you can call the engine which allows you to use the functionality.

To create your .hex file, deploy your working code to your Netduino, then run MFDeploy and connect to the Netduino.  Then go to Target > Application Deployment > Create Application Deployment and simply enter the path and create the hex file.

You then can use MFDeploy or the Engine via code to deploy the Hex file to a Netduino.

#5 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Yes you can call the engine which allows you to use the functionality.

To create your .hex file, deploy your working code to your Netduino, then run MFDeploy and connect to the Netduino.  Then go to Target > Application Deployment > Create Application Deployment and simply enter the path and create the hex file.

You then can use MFDeploy or the Engine via code to deploy the Hex file to a Netduino.

Create Application Deployment hangs indefinitely at 99%. How to get around this? I've tried both creating a key and not creating a key.

#6 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hmmmm, I've used this many times and it worked fine.  I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if something changed.  Are you using a Netduino or Netduino 2?

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

Hi Verdris, What version of firmware do you have on your Netduino? What version of MFDeploy (i.e. what version of the .NET Micro Framework SDK)? Chris

#8 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hmmmm, I've used this many times and it worked fine.  I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if something changed.  Are you using a Netduino or Netduino 2?

Hi Verdris, What version of firmware do you have on your Netduino? What version of MFDeploy (i.e. what version of the .NET Micro Framework SDK)? Chris

Netduino Plus 2 with 4.2.2 firmware running .NETMF 4.3.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi Verdris,

Netduino Plus 2 with 4.2.2 firmware running .NETMF 4.3.

Ah, that's probably the issue. There are some known timing issues with MFDeploy 4.3 when used with boards running earlier firmware.

Here are a few recommendations:

Option 1:
Update your Netduino to 4.3 beta 1 firmware

Option 2:
Grab our custom copy of MFDeploy 4.1. It will somewhat-coincidentally work with your Netduino Plus 2.
http://forums.netdui...b-and-com1com2/

Do either of those resolve the issue for you? [If you're using these for production purposes...I would recommend option 2.]

Chris

#10 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi Verdris,Ah, that's probably the issue. There are some known timing issues with MFDeploy 4.3 when used with boards running earlier firmware.

Here are a few recommendations:

Option 1:
Update your Netduino to 4.3 beta 1 firmware

Option 2:
Grab our custom copy of MFDeploy 4.1. It will somewhat-coincidentally work with your Netduino Plus 2.
http://forums.netdui...b-and-com1com2/

Do either of those resolve the issue for you? [If you're using these for production purposes...I would recommend option 2.]

Chris

Option 2 worked. How often is the custom MFDeploy updated, and where should I watch for it?

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hi Verdris,

Option 2 worked. How often is the custom MFDeploy updated, and where should I watch for it?

Okay, great. Glad that you're off and running now. The custom MFDeploy was created for a special use case scenario, so it's not something that's regularly updated. I refer you to it just because it happens to also take care of the issue you were experiencing with MFDeploy 4.3. Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uploading code, coding, flashing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.