Is there a Watchdog breakout out there? - Page 2 - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Is there a Watchdog breakout out there?

Watchdog

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 AxelG

AxelG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yes, but the timer thread can be set up to check for certain conditions being managed by your other thread(s).  Take for example the checking of the LastPing value that the watchdog performs in my basic example.  If that value is not updated regularly by some other process, the watchdog class assumes something is wrong and reboots.  You can get way more creative with inter-thread communications to make sure all the other threads are doing what they are supposed to; and when they are not; force a reboot.

There is nothing that says only the timer can update the watchdog either.  You can also just have your main thread (or any thread for that matter) call the StartWatchdog method on a regular basis instead of a timer.  Just make sure you implement proper locking mechanism to ensure thread-safe operations.

I have used this in a situation where I need to keep a persistent connection open on the network.  If some condition prevents me from reconnecting, I can change the networking parameters and force a reboot to reconnect to try and resolve.  It is nice to have the ability to reboot your ND on demand!

#22 ToniA

ToniA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

If you are interested, there is 4.2 firmware source with 'default' OneWire implementation available in my NetduinoFirmware repository (dev branch). It is based on 4.2.0.1, with OneWire fixes (microsecond delay timing, workaround for Issue#1884) and does not include some unused code to reduce the image size, especially noticeable in bootloader.

Hi CW2, I tried to build this firmware with RVDS 3.1
compiler, using the same build process I'm using for the 4.1.0.6 -based
1-wire firmware for Netduino Plus. But the TinyBooterDecompressor
doesn't work, I can't get MFDeploy to recognize the Netduino at all? Any
ideas?

#23 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi CW2, I tried to build this firmware with RVDS 3.1 compiler, using the same build process I'm using for the 4.1.0.6 -based 1-wire firmware for Netduino Plus. But the TinyBooterDecompressor doesn't work, I can't get MFDeploy to recognize the Netduino at all?

Hm, I don't know why it shouldn't work - I would need to see at least some of the build output for diagnostics. What does 'same build process' mean exactly? This firmware source code does not require any changes, and it also works with the official bootloader.

#24 ToniA

ToniA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Stupid me, I built the firmware on another computer (with RVDS license), and deployed in an other one. The one I deployed on was missing the 4.2 SDK -> no USB driver for Netduino with 4.2 firmware.

#25 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

I got Axel's WatchDog and all I can say is that it works like a charm, I really recommend if someone is looking for a rock solid hardware WatchDog.

I put together a little project here for the N+2 that demostrates how the WatchDog works. It is a slightly modified version of Axel's original code.

Run it for a few seconds, then unplug the the ethernet cable from it and you will see than in no more than 10 seconds the N+2 is reset.

Here is a picture of my setup:

Posted Image

Attached Files

#26 ToniA

ToniA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Quite a coincidence, I also got my Netduino Plus (1) hardware watchdog working over the weekend: http://forums.netdui...o-plus/?p=47334

#27 icethor

icethor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]I need to implement a watchdog for my project. Where can i get the watchdog board, I have looked all over and have only been able to find the chip alone.[/color]

#28 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I got Axel's Watchdog and it works like a charm, contact Axel, he might be able to build one for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.