Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Did I brick my Mini?

firmware update rs232

Best Answer Verdris, 20 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Problem solved. I took NooM's suggestion and used a MAX232 from Texas Instruments.

Wiring as follows:

FTDI RX to Max232 pin 12

FTDI TX to Max232 pin 11

Max232 pin 13 to Netduino Mini pin 1

Max232 pin 14 to Netduino Mini pin 2

Connect power and ground as appropriate.

Code deploys and debugger attaches. A simple "hello world" app runs smoothly.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I was trying to upgrade my new Netduino mini's firmware. So far, all I've done is apply the 5V to the gold erase pad. When I try to connect via Samba 2.12 using at91sam7x512, I get a connection error every time.

I'm using the SparkFun FTDI Basic 5V breakout. I've tried the following configurations:

• FTDI RX to Netduino Pin 1, FTDI TX to Netduino Pin 2, FTDI DTR to Netduino Pin 3, GND to GND
  • FTDI TX to Netduino Pin 1, FTDI RX to Netduino Pin 2, FTDI DTR to Netduino Pin 3, GND to GND
  • Both of the above configurations without using DTR
  • FTDI RX to Netduino Pin 11, FTDI TX to Netduino Pin 12, FTDI DTR to Netduino Pin 3, GND to GND
  • FTDI RX to Netduino Pin 12, FTDI TX to Netduino Pin 13, FTDI DTR to Netduino Pin 3, GND to GND
  • Both of the above configurations without using DTR
  • All of the above configurations with FTDI 5V to Netduino Pin 21
  • All of the above configurations with the Netduino powered by a regulated 5V supply (still using FTDI GND to GND)

MFDeploy can't ping the board, can't connect to TinyCLR. Putty can't communicate with the board.

At this point, it seems like my Mini is bricked. That's a shame, since I just got it two days ago and haven't been able to use it at all.

I am able to use the FTDI breakout board to communicate with my Arduino no problem. I'm also able to use it with my NP2 to talk back and forth with my PC. So, the FTDI guy is working just fine.

What are my options?

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

you need a max232 to flash new firmware, the com1 is 12 volts, its not a good idea to connect your ftdi cable to there.

also, dont erase with 5 volts, that cant be good, use max 3.3v (i dont think its damaged, but it might get damaged if you do that)

or hook it up to your computers comput.

best is you read the guid again ... very carefully ...

http://forums.netdui...y-instructions/

#3 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

sorry linked the wrong one, but read both. its good todo.

http://forums.netdui...-v420-update-1/

#4 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

Unless you are following a specific lead where someone has found that the FTDI board works with Samba, you're in uncharted territory. As has been noted here, Samba is very sensitive to communication timing. Some adaptors work, many don't. I know, I tried quite a few :). In my experience 5V to the gold pad is tolerated by the mini. 

#5 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

RS-232 uses inverted logic; idles low, whereas serial TTL idles high. The FTDI cable interface is serial TTL, but you can invert it with the FTDI configuration utility. Alternatively, you can use a 74HC14 Schmitt trigger inverter or a 2 gate 74LVC2G14 (invert the FTDI

TX to Netduino RX and Netduino TX to FTDI RX). I recall some discussion that the RS-232

port was preferred for deploy/debugging. A $5 ebay USB to RS-232 adapter works just fine for me.

#6 cys

cys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Here are two threads with some info that could help:

http://forums.netdui...pic/960-usb-33v

http://forums.netdui...nstead-of-rs232

#7 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

guys, you talk crap.

the ftdi cable is fine, it just has the wrong voltage levels. i have an ftdi adapter, it works like a charm, but

for reflashing you have to use com1 on the mini, wich dont wants 5 or 3.3 volts, it needs 12 volts.

so you havge to step your ftdi singal levels up with a max232, or just use the comports from your computer, they are 12 volts singal level

#8 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I normally hook my Netduino Mini up to my serial port. I never tried with an FTDI adapter and I'm not 100% sure if it would work.

But the schematic for hooking it up is very simple: http://wiki.netduino...duino-Mini.ashx

Hope that helps!

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#9 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

iam 100% sure it works, for both the uart (com1) and the rs232 (com2) - ofc rs232 needs a max232 to convert voltage levels

(since i only have a mini, ill play around a lot with it :P )

#10 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:32 PM   Best Answer

Problem solved. I took NooM's suggestion and used a MAX232 from Texas Instruments.

Wiring as follows:

FTDI RX to Max232 pin 12

FTDI TX to Max232 pin 11

Max232 pin 13 to Netduino Mini pin 1

Max232 pin 14 to Netduino Mini pin 2

Connect power and ground as appropriate.

Code deploys and debugger attaches. A simple "hello world" app runs smoothly.

#11 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

and you didnt choose my answer as best answer? :(

now iam sad :P

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

and you didnt choose my answer as best answer? :( now iam sad :P

NooM -- I "liked" your answer, to give you kudos. Does that help? :) Thanks guys for helping each other out so much around here. We're working on firmware and an epic new Netduino accessory...so it's really awesome to log onto the forums and see so much camraderie and help among peers. You guys (and gals) are the best. Chris

#13 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

and you didnt choose my answer as best answer? :(

now iam sad :P

Aw don't be sad. Your answer was the best answer, but I wanted to include the hookup information so if someone in the future has this problem, they can solve it without having too much of a headache.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firmware update, rs232

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.