Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Mini Shields

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

After seeing Netduino Mini I got very much interested into it. But it's very small chip and I need specific hardware solution. I am not good at electronics, I figured to ask here some question would the best idea.

• Are there any available shield that can be used with Netduino Mini? Maybe some links?
  • I am very interested into small factor. I would need shield that could provide Ethernet port, WiFi (n standard would big plus) and would support microSD cards up to 2GB (4GB and even more would be big plus again). And also similar board that would have GSM/3G instead of WiFi. How much would it cost and how hard is to build this custom shield for Netduino Mini. Is it even possible?

I am getting my Netduino Plus, which is my first .NET MF based dev board. I am gonna to use it for testing purposes and maybe doing some presentations about .NET MF for students as MSP. I hope it does great and we consider Netduino Mini to be used in our project. I think it would give smaller form factor, lower the price and give stability. Right now problems might be performance and having custom made shield.

Thoughts?

-david

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hi David,

In the following post, Quiche31 uses a Wiznet module to add networking support to a Netduino Mini:
http://forums.netdui...fs-on-the-wave/

It requires a breadboard and a half dozen jumper wires...but it does work well. The networking is nowhere the fast speed on the Netduino Plus, but it does work.

You can hook up a MicroSD breakout board with about a half dozen wires as well. It's pretty straightforwards.

All that said, if you're looking for a host board which includes this functionality and where you can plug your Netduino Mini into it: [a] yes, it's possible to custom-build one for a few hundred dollars; [b] the Netduino Mini is tiny, but the Netduino Plus is really not too large--you might end up just wanting to use it in this specific case.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.