Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Newbie trying to deciede where to start and what to buy.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FaytesEnd

FaytesEnd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi guys, I"m new to the netduino scene and I'm not sure what hardware to start with. I'm not even sure what project I want to make, but I would like to play around with it first.

I was considering getting the go starter kit on amazon along with the book Getting Started with the Internet of Things.

I"m open to any feedback or recomendations. I'm currently a web developer and use c# daily. So I'm at least sure I would like a platform with a languange I write in often.

Thanks.

#2 roguemat

roguemat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Why not get the normal Netduino? I can recommend the book : Getting started with Netduino. By the way, I'm the same as you and came from a C# background. Still struggling with the hardware stuff, but at least the code all makes sense. Its loads of fun!
I make Windows Phone stuff for beer money and rent (in order of priority). I've got a blog and am on the Twitter machine.

#3 FaytesEnd

FaytesEnd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Any thoughts on the go? The modules look neat and the price isn't terrble. I have some experience with hardware from a while back, so I'm looking foward to using my new found knowledge of programming wih it.

#4 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

my opinoin for the go: its a nice device, but lacking some modules, wonder when they will be aviable.

the plus/plus2 are good allround devices i would say, cos you can play with sd cards and ethernet.

if you are sure you will not want ethernet, the normal netduino or netduino 2 is also fine.

i personally love the mini, cos it fints in a breadboard, and its smaller than a normal size sd card :)

you can hook up a sd card to it, but ethernet is a pain, that never will work right.

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I would recommend going for an all in one kit.

(Note that I am biased towards the normal Netduinos rather than the go.)

I think a good kit should have most of the following:

A bread board, Jumper wires, selection of LEDs (including a 7 segment or matrix display), an LCD module, switches/buttons, potentiometer(s), some analogue sensors such as flex resistors, maybe an IR range sensor, an RC servo, some transistors, a relay, a sounder, and a shift register.

The most important item though is some simple lessons on how to use each one and suggestions for combining them. A good book will give you the sparks for the ideas of where you want to go next.

As for the choice between the normal Netduino family and the Go, I think it comes down to taste, cost, and how practical you feel. I like to use the real components rather than plug in someone else's modules. But, having said that, the go does have the shield base if you start with modules and then decide to move on.

Above all else - remember its supposed to be fun!

#6 FaytesEnd

FaytesEnd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks guys :)

I'll give it some thought, I want the go but I was thinking about messing around with sending data around my home network. So without the ethernet it might be best to just go netduino2 or something.

Thanks again.

#7 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I would recommend to go for the Netduino 2 Plus.

The Netduino Go is a very smart concept, but it has proved to be hard to bring to market, and IMHO the most common modules is missing for now.

Earlier it was a lot more powerful than the other netduinos, bit with the new netduino 2's the Go does not have that advantage.

I still hope the Go will be more attractive in the future, but right now, i only pull it out when there is new firmware updates.

- Ulrik Lunddahl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.